Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loss Penalty Detail

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Loss Penalty Detail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loss Penalty Detail - 2/22/2022 7:59:46 AM   
Monash

I am hoping someone in the TOAW may be help with a victory calibration problem a small group of us are having with a modification to an existing scenario?

Specifically: we are wanting scenario victory to be determined by two things,

1. Geographic dimension (VP hexes)
2. So long as one side's loss penalty is below a certain level (on a sliding scale)

We have no problem with the VP's, but literally no overview of how to calibrate the Loss Penalty function as desired.

If you happen to have deep insights into this, could you please reply. We would be very grateful!

Post #: 1
RE: Loss Penalty Detail - 2/22/2022 9:46:44 AM   
golden delicious

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're after, but I have a mechanism in my Poland 39 scenario which means that the Polish player can lose a big chunk of his army without penalty, but suffers a severe penalty once losses go over a certain level (i.e. it's understood you'll lose a lot, but losing everything is bad)

The way this works is that the Polish player starts the game with a number of units in an off-map area (with distance hexes to prevent attacks) which have 1/100 (or something) of an artillery piece that's not used by any of the other units. I used artillery because it has a high AP factor and it's the AP factor which is used for calculating loss penalty. The Polish player also starts with enough equipment in replacements to rapidly fill all these units to full. They also have minimum proficiency, supply, readiness and formation supply level, to prevent the icon numbers getting huge and skewing the rest of the OOB.

In the scenario, these units receiving their new equipment effectively cancels out the loss of equipment of the "real" units on the main map. If you calibrate the amount of added equipment correctly, you can keep the loss penalty at zero up until a certain level of losses, when it will rise normally. In Poland, I additionally gave the player a high loss intolerance, so that losses over the threshold will cause a very high loss penalty.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

N.B. this thread probably belongs on the scenario design forum

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 2/22/2022 9:48:01 AM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Monash)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Loss Penalty Detail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI