Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operational Movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Operational Movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operational Movement - 2/20/2022 9:22:25 PM   
AdmiralYamamoto

It has been a couple of years since I played SSC WW1 but I decided to try out the tournament. I have updated my game to 1.08.00 but I cannot seem to get Operational Movement to work in the 1914 March On Paris scenario. I have setup a few test games to refamiliarize myself with the mechanics. I have tried selecting multiple eligible units with enough money to pay for it but when I right click on the unit the "Operate" command is grayed out. Has there been an update that removes Operational Movement from this smaller scenario? If not, any suggestions?

Admiral Yamamoto
Post #: 1
RE: Operational Movement - 2/20/2022 10:53:47 PM   
Platoonist

Hmmm. I've having no problems getting German units to operate in that scenario. Are you sure the units you are trying to move this way are sitting on rail lines?

(in reply to AdmiralYamamoto)
Post #: 2
RE: Operational Movement - 2/21/2022 1:24:38 AM   
AdmiralYamamoto

Glad to hear someone can still use Operational Movement. My round 1 opponent said he can't OM either. I thought I used OM a couple of years ago when I played this. The unit is on or adjacent to a town with a RR line and a supply of 5 or greater with plenty of money. I think that is the criteria required. I am interested to hear if anyone else can or cannot use OM.

Admiral Yamamoto

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Operational Movement - 2/21/2022 2:09:11 AM   
Platoonist

Have you tried using the operate icon in the center bar as opposed to right clicking? Or is it greyed out too?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Operational Movement - 2/21/2022 8:43:26 AM   
BillRunacre

Operational Movement isn't allowed in the 1914 March on Paris campaign, as the railways were pretty much fully utilized with mobilization and supplies, plus feedback from the original release of the campaign showed that allowing it led to there being too much rapid redeployment of forces.

The armies will have to march, or Forced March.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 5
RE: Operational Movement - 2/21/2022 11:22:26 AM   
Bavre

Was also quite stumped, then I read the strategy guide and facepalmed myself unconscious

PS: Another rule change in this scenario is that Germany can deploy freshly produced troops everywhere, not just their territory.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 6
RE: Operational Movement - 2/21/2022 12:14:24 PM   
AdmiralYamamoto

Well that sucks! I could have sworn Bavre, that you and I played this scenario a couple of years ago and it did have OM at that time. That totally changes things. It makes the German heavy artillery at Dusseldorf useless. It will never make it to the front lines. Thanks for the information guys.

How about the Ludendorf scenario? Is OM allowed in it?

< Message edited by AdmiralYamamoto -- 2/22/2022 10:31:34 PM >

Admiral Yamamoto

Post #: 7
RE: Operational Movement - 2/21/2022 12:42:23 PM   
Bavre

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdmiralYamamoto

Well that sucks! I could have sworn Bavre, that you and I played this scenario a couple of years ago and it did have OM at that time. That totally changes things. It makes the German heavy artillery at Dresden useless. It will never make it to the front lines. Thanks for the information guys.

How about the Ludendorf scenario? Is OM allowed in it?

I was wondering exactly the same thing!
As for Ludendorff, I think it has OM, but it's been a while...
Other things in those 2 campaigns that I really have difficulties getting used to are the extra long production delays and most importantly the absence of full ZoCs on the frontline units. Defences that would be rock solid under Call to Arms rules can get outmanoeuvred fairly quickly here.

Post #: 8
RE: Operational Movement - 2/21/2022 11:35:19 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

Well that sucks! I could have sworn Bavre, that you and I played this scenario a couple of years ago and it did have OM at that time.

It probably did have OM then. It looks like this change occurred in a patch. I haven't upgraded to the latest patch and I can still move German units operationally.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Operational Movement - 2/22/2022 6:39:22 AM   
shri

I like this tweak to stop all those French hordes railing into Belgium borders and then force marching inside.

However, we need to freely deploy the German artillery, as they did rail it historically.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 10
RE: Operational Movement - 2/22/2022 12:46:46 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

quote:

Well that sucks! I could have sworn Bavre, that you and I played this scenario a couple of years ago and it did have OM at that time.

It probably did have OM then. It looks like this change occurred in a patch. I haven't upgraded to the latest patch and I can still move German units operationally.

In the patch released in September 2021, Operational Movement was abolished completely as it was still causing issues.

Marching and Force Marching are the order of the day here.

It is present in the 1918 Ludendorff Offensive campaign as it's not an issue there.

< Message edited by BillRunacre -- 2/22/2022 12:47:23 PM >

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 11
RE: Operational Movement - 2/22/2022 1:15:28 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

In the patch released in September 2021, Operational Movement was abolished completely as it was still causing issues.

Marching and Force Marching are the order of the day here.

That'll teach me to keep my games patched to date.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 12
RE: Operational Movement - 2/22/2022 10:49:22 PM   
AdmiralYamamoto

quote:

ORIGINAL: shri

I like this tweak to stop all those French hordes railing into Belgium borders and then force marching inside.

However, we need to freely deploy the German artillery, as they did rail it historically.

I agree Shri that we need to free the artillery of Germany.

Admiral Yamamoto

(in reply to shri)
Post #: 13
RE: Operational Movement - 2/23/2022 12:31:10 AM   
Bavre

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: shri

I agree Shri that we need to free the artillery of Germany.

+1
My infantery is in the outskirts of Paris, my artillery which forcemarched every turn is not even at Verdun!
Additionally might I humbly suggest to maybe give HQs 1-2 bonus AP for this scenario? They can't forcemarch and it takes AGES to get them anywhere. My spearhead is still (barely) in command range, but the boys are running low on Bier, Bratwurscht and Kraut.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Operational Movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI