Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game stopped working on Windows 10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game stopped working on Windows 10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 4/22/2021 9:12:15 PM   
TheDiaz

Hello. Ic ome with a problem from my game.

After the last windows 10 update, Distant Worlds Universe stopped working. I don't get anything else other than the launcher to start to game, but the game doesn't open. I get no error message or no crash log.

WHat I have tried so far:
Activaed Direct Play on windows features. (Was activated before trying to play after the W10 update)
High DPI setting
Start as Admin
Disable start movie

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 5/18/2021 2:32:39 AM   
Malagant

Same problem.

(in reply to TheDiaz)
Post #: 2
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 5/18/2021 2:39:23 AM   
Malagant

Same problem.

(in reply to TheDiaz)
Post #: 3
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 5/24/2021 6:53:17 AM   
Chris McMahon

I had the same issue - Launcher starts, you click "Play Distant Worlds", then nothing happens. No error message. Just nothing. Since I hadn't played DW on my current PC, this was the first time I'd tried it in at least a year, maybe two.

First give this a read:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/discussions/0/540742399466842060/

Some basic things to try, but it's a little out of date as it hasn't been updated in 7(!) years. None of it applied to me, but it's worth a try.

My issue seemed to be Windows Media Player that's been removed from Windows 10 in one of their recent "updates". Microsoft have also altered the method to restore it, so google will generally tell you the old method to restore it, which doesn't work. Never download it from a 3rd party, that's just asking for trouble.

So here's what I did to get it working on my system:

1. Make sure your DirectX drivers are up to date. Go to:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35
The web-based DirectX installer should automactically download. Run it. If you're missing anything it should install.

I wasn't, but I also play a lot of older games on my potato PC, so have most stuff older games require anyway.

2. (Re)Install Windows Media Player (WMP). Follow Microsoft's instructions here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-media-player-81718e0d-cfce-25b1-aee3-94596b658287

That's it. Got DW running at least. If it crashes after this, you should at least have more to go on than "nothing" which a missing WMP gives you.

You can automatically skip the opening movie by editing the startup.ini file as described here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/discussions/0/540742399466842060/?ctp=12#c2266943550301476523
Some say that fixed their problem with the game not starting, but it didn't work for me by itself. Just reinstall WMP as above, at least you can watch the intro that way and skip it in future.

(in reply to Malagant)
Post #: 4
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 6/3/2021 2:58:24 AM   
TheDiaz

Chris's solution worked. i had to activate WMP and now the game opens. Thanks.

(in reply to Chris McMahon)
Post #: 5
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 7/7/2021 8:01:48 PM   
valdarkwall

Same issue, same solution.
Thanks Chris!

(in reply to TheDiaz)
Post #: 6
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 7/19/2021 11:20:03 PM   
Magpius

Ditto for me.
Computer upgraded to Windows 10 64bit.
ALL the DW games dead to me.

(in reply to valdarkwall)
Post #: 7
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 8/4/2021 9:14:39 PM   
Chris21wen

Only tried DWU but it won't run, stops at the opening screen then goes back to desktop. It's a new computer and everything is up-to-date, all required software is installed, including directx .net and WMP is enabled, why however when it has no DVD player is another question.

Got it working by disabling playmovie, set it to 0 in the Startup.ini.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 8
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 10/6/2021 10:55:45 AM   
battleground

Same thing for me. My download from Matrix no longer creates a file to download DW to so I made my own and that does not work. Then I
deleted the Matrix version and synced my Steam page account and downloaded it from there. Does not start there and does not even install
from here anymore. Just upgraded a week ago from Win 7 to Win 10

When I try and download and setup the game in the current Matrix Games files I have other games in the installer shotguns parts of the game all over the page with different files everywhere and it won't run. Also says its missing a .exe file which is silly how am I supposed to play if I gather all the pieces up and its missing the key file to start?

< Message edited by battleground -- 10/10/2021 5:34:47 AM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 9
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 2/19/2022 4:04:13 AM   
nscrutable

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

Only tried DWU but it won't run, stops at the opening screen then goes back to desktop. It's a new computer and everything is up-to-date, all required software is installed, including directx . net and WMP is enabled, why however when it has no DVD player is another question.

Got it working by disabling playmovie, set it to 0 in the Startup . ini.

This solution worked for me too, DWU no longer crashes on startup.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 10
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 2/22/2022 9:28:46 PM   
Athomas

Stopped for me also. Just 'upgraded' to Win 10 64 bit. My old hard drive died, so I had to do a reinstall from win 10 32 bit. I tried the Direct X update (am now at Direct X 12), and the Windows media player uninstall and reinstall, and the playmovie 0. No joy.

Fortunately the crash log said the problem was microsoft.directx.directSound was missing. I had also cloned the drive that failed. Those DirectX files are in windows\assembly\GAC. The fresh win 10 32 bit install had problems and didn't have that folder or files. I copied them there and the game started. Ran a tutorial for a few seconds and did a save.

Did the same thing for the clean install of win 10 64 bit. A tutorial also ran. On a restart, windows 'fixed' that and removed the GAC folder.

Really enjoyed playing the game. Owned it for a while, but only recently started playing after installing some mods.

If there are other solutions, please comment.

(in reply to nscrutable)
Post #: 11
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 2/22/2022 9:41:57 PM   
Athomas

Related to above post. There used to be a way to specify the search order for a particular file. IIRC for example, C drive, windows folder, specific folder. It's been a while, but if something like that exists in DW or Windows, that could be a more lasting solution.

(in reply to Athomas)
Post #: 12
RE: Game stopped working on Windows 10 - 2/22/2022 11:12:17 PM   
Retreat1970

so besides the usual things like directx, .net, and wmp baconmod had an issue with antivirus for awhile that was fixed in baconmod 1.82 I believe if you're using that.

Just make sure in control panel - turn windows features on or off - that .net, wmp are checked I guess. Also try the installs for directx and .net in the DWU/redist folder maybe? Idk.

(in reply to Athomas)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game stopped working on Windows 10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI