Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Making the last Beta Official

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Making the last Beta Official Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/23/2021 6:17:37 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

The three high level phases of getting this done

1 - Produce initial public beta - this would include everything that would be in the final release
(( we would expect to iterate on public beta releases for a while, to fix issues found during the beta period ))

2 - Go GOLD
(( once we think we are stable, we'll work with Matrix to prepare the final version for release ))

3 - Public Release
(( Once the final version is ready - Matrix will release to the pubic ))

So right now, we're working on step 1. Once you see that available, you'll know we're in the beta period for this release !!

Would you consider updating/creating a tutorial - maybe along the lines of a YouTube video or three, that walks through best practices on how to conduct air/naval/land operations? And maybe a separate video on best practices while playing the side of Japan? I think a lot of people just don't know how to play as Japan and things you do (or don't do) at the beginning of the game for the side of Japan can really have a strong impact in the later stages of the game.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 211
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 12/24/2021 9:33:46 AM   
HansBolter

Found another bug to add to the list of things to fix.

When carriers are stationed at a port providing the infrastructure necessary to allow air squadrons to be able to take replacements, and replenishment carriers are also present with functioning replenishment squadrons, the air squadron interfaces provide two sets of buttons for manually drawing replacements, one for drawing from the pool and one for drawing from the replenishment squadrons.

Replacements get drawn from the replenishment squadrons regardless of which set of buttons is used.
Clicking on the 'draw from the pool' buttons results in the draw coming from the replenishment squadrons, not the pool.

Hans

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 212
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/10/2022 2:55:06 PM   
actrade

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: actrade

That doesn't work for me. I have a 2560x1440 resolution and when I changed it to 2550 (or 2540 or others) x 1430 (1420 and others) I get a very small window maybe 1/3rd of my screen?

Yeah tried the SeaBees and it only takes up the full screen windowed if I keep it at 2560x1440. This makes things too small for me to see. I've been playing at 2048x1152 fullscreen without Seabees windowed and it works great. Just the annoying bleed I posted above during recons. I guess I can live with that to get the screen preference and game speeds I want. The only other oddity that I've noticed besides Emily base arcs not showing up is when fighters are set to 100 ft to strafe they show up out and above the combat box...

Doh! I just re-read this post and missed putting the F in the px/py...works like a charm as you can keep experimenting until it's perfect. Thanks!

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 213
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/10/2022 5:31:43 PM   
witpqs

Here is an example of how the screen looks when that bug happens of failing to refresh all the layers when the screen is scrolled or shifts for other reasons (such as clicking on something).

To 'fix it' you need to try to scroll the screen in random directions until all the layers refresh.

It happens a great deal of the time and it would be very nice if the bug could be eliminated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by witpqs -- 1/10/2022 5:36:28 PM >

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 214
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/11/2022 2:42:14 AM   
seanmac456

My biggests asks would be reducing the input delay in full screen and making it so it doesn't freak out if I alt Tab
A rather significant but immensely welcomed addition would be UI Hyper links when specific hexes are mentioned.
WASD camera movement would be welcome as well

Either I will be Decorated or Court Martialed. Fire!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 215
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/11/2022 7:08:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Here is an example of how the screen looks when that bug happens of failing to refresh all the layers when the screen is scrolled or shifts for other reasons (such as clicking on something).

To 'fix it' you need to try to scroll the screen in random directions until all the layers refresh.

It happens a great deal of the time and it would be very nice if the bug could be eliminated.

Never had the bug - ever. My switches
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -dd_sw -deepColor -px1680 -py1050 -w -fixedArt -skipVideo -multiaudio -SingleCpuOrders -cpu3

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 216
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/11/2022 1:04:06 PM   
Ian R

I've had that occasionally, but mostly on a previous hardware set-up where it had been running for a while and I suspect the cache was filled up, reducing RAM space.

In my current rig it is a very infrequent, and very temporary, occurrence.

I'm thinking, not an actual Bug, but, might be helped by some tweaking of the switches that promote compatibility with modern graphics cards.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 217
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/11/2022 2:29:29 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

I've had that occasionally, but mostly on a previous hardware set-up where it had been running for a while and I suspect the cache was filled up, reducing RAM space.

I'm thinking, not an actual Bug, but, might be helped by some tweaking of the switches that promote compatibility with modern graphics cards.

Tweaking reduced reduced it from 'overwhelming' to 'a great deal of the time'. Never eliminated it.

It is temporary only in the sense that when you finally are lucky enough to jink the view just right, all the layers repaint.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 218
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/11/2022 2:59:42 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Tweaking reduced reduced it from 'overwhelming' to 'a great deal of the time'. Never eliminated it.

It is temporary only in the sense that when you finally are lucky enough to jink the view just right, all the layers repaint.

Too many overlays? I never run with F6 Hex side detail or Z search arcs on while moving the map borders. The only range arcs I use are the ones for TFs which disappear when I de-select the TF.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 219
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/11/2022 10:10:22 PM   
lopec

Not sure how I missed this, but this is awesome.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 220
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/12/2022 10:24:07 PM   
Alikchi2

This is just a shot in the dark, but for modding purposes, it'd be wonderful if we could open up some hardcoded limitations the scenario editor (IE, allow scenarios to begin before 1941 like War Plan Orange, allow both sides to use japan-style research system, allow for sub-factions on the Japanese side (besides IJA and IJN), and allow the addition of new factions to the Allies as well. I think that's all you'd need to open the door to much more wideranging alternate history scenarios

Again, just a shot in the dark. But it'd be nice!

(in reply to lopec)
Post #: 221
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/15/2022 3:39:20 AM   
Heclapar

Would it be possible to add some font size customization (beyond the altfont switch) and maybe even UI scaling?

On modern resolutions and big monitors info screens and hover information are quite tiny.

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 222
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/17/2022 5:07:40 PM   
Lord_Calidor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heclapar

Would it be possible to add some font size customization (beyond the altfont switch) and maybe even UI scaling?

On modern resolutions and big monitors info screens and hover information are quite tiny.

Seconded.
Please, devs. On a 2K Ultrawide, UI and text is miniscule, almost impossible to read. UI scaling, or an option for a bigger font, would be life (eye) saving.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to Heclapar)
Post #: 223
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/17/2022 5:59:47 PM   
Rob322

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heclapar

Seconded.
Please, devs. On a 2K Ultrawide, UI and text is miniscule, almost impossible to read. UI scaling, or an option for a bigger font, would be life (eye) saving.

I agree. Also, can we have a choice of colors? For me, the red is practically invisible these days ...

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 224
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/24/2022 2:38:18 PM   
actrade

I realize this is being done as a side project and the gracious devs have other things to do as well, but would it be possible to post some dev notes once in a while just to let us know what's being worked on and/or has been completed? It would be a great way to manage expectations with regard to what is going to get done and what isn't, along with a possible timeframe upon completion (months/quarters?). If that's not possible, could we at least get a roadmap of what is being undertaken? Thanks!

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 225
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 1/30/2022 7:53:34 PM   
Tanaka

I know this is not a bug and people use house rules to prevent this:

No switching land unit to air HQs etc. to do this cheaply.

Can this be fixed and should this be fixed? Since it is seen as a cheat?

(in reply to actrade)
Post #: 226
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/10/2022 3:09:18 AM   
Rhodes

WOW! This is GREAT NEWS! Been asking about updating to the Beta and apparently I'm not the only one. Been using the Beta since it came out, on my windows 7 machine. Now this old dude is not too tech savvy so screwing with switches and settings can be a bit of an ordeal. Hopefully the updated/remastered version would address this. Believe I'm using something like -pxf1920 and -pyf1280 - been along time since I set it up. Haven't bumped into too many bugs (yes I have had the screen overlay issue as mentioned above but that generally fixes itself). Obviously as the Beta is the de facto standard used by thousands of players it makes sense to do this final update. I find this to be a superior game in both scope and detail and I'm glad to see it get the attention it deserves. I think it says alot about the folks at matrix being willing to do this. From my own point of view, I would welcome this update should I try and move the game from My windows 7 system to my newer windows 10 system - these machines don't last forever and I would hate to have to jump through a bunch of hoops again to get my 27-inch ViewSonic monitors to full screen again. Obviously I have no way of knowing what your annual sales of this game are now, but I would think this game should be a library standard for anyone who enjoys strategy wargames. Good luck with the update. I look forward to hearing more over the coming year.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 227
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/10/2022 8:54:06 PM   
NiclasCage

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but can you please look into the fact that the A.I. rarely (almost never) use its fighters to sweep? It's not a gamebreaking thing, but it feels bad to either down bombers on a daily basis or just give the A.I. a free pass to bomb some of my bases. Hopefully not a fix that requires extensive work.

(in reply to Rhodes)
Post #: 228
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/13/2022 6:10:26 PM   
Califvol

Switches I use to play the Beta in windows 10: "D:\WITP\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -fd

I know many love the giant maps as a display, but my eyes can't deal with maps that require a magnifying glass to read.

Game killing bug- it takes a full 5 seconds when clicking on or trying to move Sub TF's only sub tf's, so I deal with it. However, its a real bitch when you try to first turn US and you have a gillion subs in Manila. It makes first turn, after Jap attack, a 2+ hour exercise for the subs.

Love, the Beta and its the only version I play.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am such a special snowflake that others need my knowledge. What…there are like a billion snowflakes? Oh, well isn't that special.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 229
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/14/2022 7:36:43 PM   
Moltrey

Joe W.:

Any chance we can get a status update on the project?
Thanks!

(in reply to Califvol)
Post #: 230
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/19/2022 10:47:58 PM   
Andy Mac

I did a first version of the scenarios and Andrew has submitted the new map I think Michael is bug fixing so its still moving but patience is required !!!

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 231
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/20/2022 1:15:45 AM   
Moltrey

Thanks!

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 232
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/20/2022 3:59:56 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

I did a first version of the scenarios and Andrew has submitted the new map I think Michael is bug fixing so its still moving but patience is required !!!

Thanks for the update Andy!

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 233
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/20/2022 6:21:09 PM   
Insano

It's probably been mentioned already, but the big one for me is fixing the database error on upgrading Japanese sound detectors to early radars in the airfield units.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 234
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/22/2022 9:30:10 PM   
miv792

I would like to see other missions for night fighters.

Sorry for my english

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 235
RE: Making the last Beta Official - 2/23/2022 8:08:43 AM   
Encircled

Any chance of an auto save option?

(in reply to miv792)
Post #: 236
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Making the last Beta Official Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI