Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Clearing a mine on a straits hex

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Clearing a mine on a straits hex Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Clearing a mine on a straits hex - 2/22/2022 7:35:45 PM   
mdsmall

Hi Bill,

I just finished play-testing against the AI a mod I designed which includes a new DE to make an Entente amphibious attack on Gallipoli more feasible (still difficult, but feasible).
However, I encountered the following weird glitch.

The Ottomans (as played by the AI) placed on a mine on the first straits hex before the Dardanelles. I discovered this by flying a recon mission with a sea-plane against Chanak to see if there were any Ottoman troops there. As a result of spotting the mine by air, my naval units could not clear it by moving adjacent to it. Nor could my naval units move through the hex and enter the Dardanelles, as the straits hex was still under Ottoman control (as a land/sea hex). However, when I made an amphibious landing with marines, I found they also could not move through the hex - I presume because a land unit can not attack or remove a naval mine. The net result was that the straits hex was completely impassable to my land and naval forces (and may have been impassable to CP land units too).

Is this by design, or is it a glitch? As you know, the British began the Gallipoli campaign by clearing the straits of naval mines, so it should be possible to remove them with some effort on the Entente side. Since I did not tinker with any of the underlying mechanics of the game (at least not intentionally), I believe this is due to the game settings, rather than my mod.

Grateful for your advice,

Michael

< Message edited by mdsmall -- 2/22/2022 7:36:13 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Clearing a mine on a straits hex - 2/23/2022 8:49:03 AM   
BillRunacre

Thanks Michael, we'll have to think about this one as it's obviously not right to have an unremovable minefield.

One solution for your game might be to temporarily switch sides and see if an Ottoman naval unit can remove the minefield by moving into that hex.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to mdsmall)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Clearing a mine on a straits hex Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI