Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Embarrassed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Embarrassed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Embarrassed - 2/21/2022 7:09:12 PM   
dhucul2011

OK, a little embarrassed here.

I'm a very experienced player and for the life of me cannot defeat the USSR AI at Veteran setting. The sheer volume of free units they get is overwhelming by mid 1943 even if I have taken Leningrad and Stalingrad and the Middle East. What am I doing wrong? I do have issues with their artificially high NM always sitting around 85-90% but what do other players do when they have success at this setting?

I do have some house rules I stick to keep things historical.

I always say yes to attacking Greece, I never tech up minors past advanced weapons 1 and the Finns are not allowed to roam across the USSR.

The 1943 D-Day is very a-historical in the scope that they can do in the game. Minor landings yes but a full D-Day? No.

Anyway, what are some pointers?

Post #: 1
RE: Embarrassed - 2/21/2022 9:13:52 PM   
Sugar

If you limit yourself to historical accuracy, why do you expect other than historical outcomes? This game never was a historical simulation, but fair balanced PbEMs.

Improving minor nations is of course a viable way to strengthen the Ostfront, and why shouldn`t Germany deliver more weapons to their Allies? Historically their production didn`t last for that, but here you can improve ind. and prod. p.e..

(in reply to dhucul2011)
Post #: 2
RE: Embarrassed - 2/21/2022 9:42:19 PM   
dhucul2011

Totally understand that I may be constraining myself too much but I'm a stickler for not making it too a-historical.

What about strategy, do others have better success focusing on northern, central or southern thrust? I find a balanced attack doesn't work.

Do you motorize all HQs and panzers?

Do you diplo Spain and/or Turkey as much as possible?

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 3
RE: Embarrassed - 2/21/2022 10:33:35 PM   
Sugar

Against the AI you can pretty much do what you want to diplomatically, inviting Franco will usually succeed long before the US joins; Turkey isn`t worth diploing, but conquering. You can get the Swedes usually unopposed by the Allies, they bring an army group together with an HQ and a fighter and some ships, but no additional income.

Together with Spain, Middle East and Turkey your income should exceed 1500 MPPs, I usually let the Italians have NA, Greece and Vichy.

Spain has experienced units, a tank and a Stuka are also available; fully equipped Romanians and Hungarians (both can have a tank and a fighter) are reasonable army groups even with their own HQs (if you keep in mind that half a point of XP equals 1 CR-Rating; a 3-Star romanian CR 5 HQ is better than a CR 9 Schukow without XP. I usually add an arty to provide some deentrenchment ability.

I don`t do coastal defending in France; amphib. attacks are too devastating; in case of a landing I use the entire Luftwaffe, few tanks and Inf. to counter.

< Message edited by Sugar -- 2/21/2022 10:34:02 PM >

(in reply to dhucul2011)
Post #: 4
RE: Embarrassed - 2/22/2022 12:08:46 AM   
Elessar2

Vs. the AI it is usually pretty easy to get huge encirclements, since they tend to pile up units 2-3 deep in certain sectors, leaving yawning gaps on the flanks. You can also let them take a given city, but with your panzer pincers poised to penetrate perfidiously pending the proper point, pocketing a plethora of prisoners in the process.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 5
RE: Embarrassed - 2/22/2022 4:10:28 PM   
nnason

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar

I don`t do coastal defending in France; amphib. attacks are too devastating; in case of a landing I use the entire Luftwaffe, few tanks and Inf. to counter.

Sugar,
Do you mean ports should be defended so they are not taken free and undamaged, but don't bother with defending open coastal hexes?

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 6
RE: Embarrassed - 2/22/2022 5:54:52 PM   
Taxman66

He means, he lets the Allies land for free and no contention.
Then he operates a massive force and counter attacks the following turn(s).

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to nnason)
Post #: 7
RE: Embarrassed - 2/22/2022 10:31:03 PM   
Sugar

Yeah, losing units is mostly a consequence of continuous attacks on the same target, but amphibs can only attack coastal placed units. Then the enemy Air Force will be defeated, and then the invasion forces.

Apart from the Netherlands there`s not much of value in France.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 8
RE: Embarrassed - 2/23/2022 1:43:47 AM   
Taxman66

What's it cost you in MPP to pull that trick?

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 9
RE: Embarrassed - 2/23/2022 5:34:52 AM   
Sugar

10% of the unit`s cost at lvl.5 Logistics.

There are some variations depending on the starting point of the scenario; in 39 the Kriegsmarine will play a part, the AI sadly will pull off a landing even without maritime and air superiority.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 10
RE: Embarrassed - 2/23/2022 11:31:06 AM   
El_Condoro

In most games that I have played as the Axis, the Allied strategic bombers will take out all the rail heads so that operating anywhere near the invasion force is impossible. Do you create a kind of Seigfried line somewhere around Belgium, or just move west at normal speed from wherever the closest rail head is?

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 11
RE: Embarrassed - 2/23/2022 12:39:49 PM   
Taxman66

Does that stop planes from operating?

And if I know Sugar, his planes are probably running Long Range 4 or 5 by then, where I doubt strat bombing rail lines can keep them at bay anyway.

(in reply to El_Condoro)
Post #: 12
RE: Embarrassed - 2/23/2022 1:42:45 PM   
Sugar

We`re talking against the AI on the higher difficulty lvls, folks!

At first: take Vichy before the invasion, this will provide enough Hinterland to operate.
Then: If you`re able to keep the Russian Air Force at bay (they should lose every bomber immediately after deploying), parts of the Luftwaffe can be used elsewhere. When the invasion starts the Eastern Front will only be guarded by minor fighters. I`m using Flak for the defense of mines and ressources; my fighters just start subsequently. Strat. Bombers are too strong to intercept with 2 xp.

I also didn`t speak about no garrisons at all like I did in PbEM; I try to keep 4 fighters and 3 bombers in the ardennes to counter strat. bombing and perhaps a few Corps to protect them from Paras just in case.

The secret to win the war against so many units is to always continue conquering towns and cities; the enemy units can easily be destroyed afterwards.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Embarrassed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI