Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/22/2003 11:16:30 PM   
Vathailos

I’d agree with an earlier observation that you’ve selected a rather unrealistic (and certainly historically inaccurate) force composition. With all the “unlimited ammo/maximum points” settings you’ve chosen, it’s like playing a video game with all the cheat codes on. Where’s the challenge?

And despite that, good tactics (which you won’t get from the AI) could dismantle your “super force” rather quickly. It IS however, a good way to re-build self-esteem after a game with Viking, RB, or Gary ;).

RE: hit location – It is only somewhat “randomized”. I’m not sure it’s even possible to hit the rear of a vehicle if you’re firing from the front. Likewise, you won’t hit the opposite side if you’re firing at a 45-degreee angle at one side/front of a vehicle. The height is somewhat randomized, comparing the firing unit and target’s elevation. And the location of the round’s strike is randomized to a degree with regard to where it strikes, within limitations.

To use your example, If you’re firing flat-on a 90-degree angle with a flank shot at an AFV (he’s facing North for example and you’re firing from the East), you might hit tracks, turret, or vehicle side. You wouldn’t see a hit on the other side of the vehicle. Now, the turret hit might be a front, side, rear or top hit based upon the direction of the target’s turret at the time of the shot, and the elevation comparison between target and shooter. But if you hit the side of the vehicle, in most cases you’re applying your penetration against the side armor (and skirts if applicable). Side armor is less than frontal armor in almost EVERY case. So side/rear shots are preferred.

If it’s an AT team in H2H .FR, close to the AFV, and their secondary weapons are turned OFF, good luck spotting them with a suppressed AFV. I’ve had enemies fire 4-5 times at close range with Bazookas or PanzerShrecks/Fausts and remain hidden. Turn that secondary weapon off! Miscellaneous Small Arms won’t penetrate the side of most AFVs, so turn them off, and decrease the chance you’ll be spotted (less shots = less chances to spot).

One other observation, with max points on, and you purchasing a TON of units, the AI may not be able to spend all their points because there is a finite number of slots in SPWAW for units. I can’t currently remember what it is, but for sake of argument let’s say it’s 400. That’s all the game will/can track (some more seasoned player will correct me, hopefully). If you buy 300 units, that only leaves 100 “slots” for the AI to buy units in, even if it has 6000 points left. If the slots are already used up, those points can’t be spent. I could complicate that issue by talking about reinforcement purchases, but the AI doesn’t do it. So, the point I’m trying to make is that you not only have all the “cheat codes” on, you’re furthering your advantage by purchasing a ton of units thereby limiting the number the AI gets to buy. One other thing you could do would be to set the [I]Easy/Medium/Hard[/I] battle difficulty setting to easy (giving the AI only ˝ the points you have to build your force. But if the slots are all used up, that’s a moot point.

And BTW, Welcome, and good luck! :D

(in reply to TigerOfChaos)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI