Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Flamethrowers in all Engineer Squards

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Flamethrowers in all Engineer Squards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Flamethrowers in all Engineer Squards - 7/23/2001 12:13:00 AM   
A_B

I know this question may not go over that well, but is it realistic for all Engineer squads to have flamethrowers? I think the Marine OOB, where an engineer squad has either a flame thrower, or satchel charges, seems a little more kosher. I’m not speaking from a detailed knowledge of squad TOE of WW2 engineer squads, but common sense tells me that most engineer squads wouldn’t keep flame throwers all the time. Demo charges, yes, because they were used for all sorts of things – digging ditches, felling trees, heating coffee, etc. Also, I can't remember ever, with the exception of the marines in the pacific, reading about the use of flamethrowers. I've read about satchel charges in Stalingrad, grenade bundles, explosives, but almost no mention of flamethowers. So, is the idea of 1 flame thrower per eng. squad realistic? Do the engineer teams have both flamethrower, satchel charges, and a handy supply of mines to be sown during the game just because that was there composition way back in SP1? This is my guess. Seems to me, that a Flamethower would be better as a two man team attached to an engineer or assault platoon, or as a specialty attachment to an assault squad like in the Marine OOB. This would balance the engineer units within the game (whick isn't actually my point). Right now, of those of you playing campaigns, who DOESN’T have at least half of your core force Infantry as Engineers? It is because they are well worth the points.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought
Post #: 1
- 7/23/2001 2:19:00 AM   
Warrior

Play as Italians, they have the flame teams you mention.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 2
- 7/23/2001 5:01:00 AM   
Chief Wiggum

A_B, I agree with you. I have read in many a war book that all Marine, Army and support squads were not equipped with Flamethrowers, Satchel charges ect. Wether through the loss during battles, or logistics screw ups, not all teams had the same equipment all the time. I would imagine one could probably write a simple code for random OOB builds, but it could become a problem after a while. Or maybe after you choose your teams and after deployment a simple math system could subdivide weapons in the squads that you want to make a bit more realistic. Like I said though, this could be a problem with ALL squads and would have to be regulated through the player as opposed to the computer. Just my thoughts (not even worth a cent :D) Best Wishes To All Mike AKA: Chief Wiggum AKA AGAIN: IronicFate [img]null[/img]

" A teacher does not teach, a true teacher leads his students to enlightenment..."

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 3
- 7/23/2001 6:21:00 AM   
Charles2222

A_B: Demo Charges to heat coffee? :eek:

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 4
- 7/23/2001 6:28:00 AM   
Slayer

quote:

Originally posted by A_B: Right now, of those of you playing campaigns, who DOESN’T have at least half of your core force Infantry as Engineers?
Me! Not a single engineer anywhere in my German 1939 long campaign. I only use them as support for assault missions, actually. Gotta keep it at least a BIT fair... :D

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 5
- 7/23/2001 6:43:00 AM   
A_B

I just don't think flame throwers were employed near as much as in the game. They were a specialty weapon. That, combined with there effectiveness in types of actions they really weren't used in, compeled me to bring this up. If they were part of every engineer squads TOE, then great, lets keep em. If the only reason they are there is because SP 1 had them in everysquad, lets get rid of them, except as specialty teams. Chief Wiggam; I don't think we need any code changes - we will have to wait for CL/CA for that. I think engineers should get EITHER a flamethrower or demo charges. Having both makes the team too powerful, and i don't think an engineer squad could effectivly employ both. Charles; it is an old demo-mans trick to use a small chunk of C4 as a heat-tab. You tear a small bit off a block, and set it between to rocks, light it, and set your canteen cup over it. Makes a dandy cup of coffee. It can't explode unless put under extreme pressure - like when a blasting cap goes off inside of it. Slayer; well hats off to you. They make the game much too easy. BTW, if your a campaign player, would you be intersted in the cooperative campaign idea that a couple of us have been floating around?

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 6
- 7/23/2001 7:10:00 AM   
Slayer

What exactly would be involved? In about month, I'll be moving to Toronto for college, so I don't know how long I'll be without internet access...until then, I'm free of course...

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 7
- 7/23/2001 7:13:00 AM   
A_B

Slayer, email me and i'll send you the info we have. danmonos@earthlink.net

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 8
- 7/23/2001 8:01:00 AM   
Slayer

So, it's basically designing scenarios for a massive campaign, is it?

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 9
- 7/23/2001 8:30:00 AM   
Truckeye

i believe the heating coffee is a legit comment. im sure there are several on this board that have lit c4 to heat things. it burns rather nicely and is safe, though in battle im not sure its a wise move to use up your supply this way ;)

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 10
- 7/24/2001 1:29:00 AM   
A_B

bump - should we take away all the flamethrowers?

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 11
- 7/24/2001 2:21:00 AM   
Warhorse

No, don't take them away all together!! However, at least for the Germans, they are WAY too prevailant!! There were, in real life, only 3 TO A COMPANY!!!! I would say the best way would be to make a special team, but then again, we are out of slots, so.... The U.S. Army should probably be the same way, a team, I'm quite sure they were similiar to the Germans in doling these out, say 1 per platoon. What say ye?!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 12
- 7/24/2001 2:36:00 AM   
A_B

Warhorse, see my first post. I think one flamethrower team per eng. platoon makes more sense. I can't imagine the TOE was one per squad, for any nation. Having three man teams - like the italian oob - would also make their use more kosher, coming in after a unit has been suppressed, to finish it off, especially in city of bunker fighting.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 13
- 7/24/2001 9:45:00 AM   
Warhorse

@A_B I agree 100%!!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 14
- 7/24/2001 3:06:00 PM   
Hot Shot

I agree with the comments of A_B. The best way to put ft in the game is a separate squad used for special purposes, as they was used. Also the engineers without ft would be more suitable for all scenaries as they can be considered as sappers or infantry with more abilities to clean obstacles or demolish something with charges. Also the flame tanks should get a higher rarity value.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 15
- 7/24/2001 11:42:00 PM   
A_B

Everyone seems to agree - lets get flamethrowers out of the Engineer squads!

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 16
- 7/25/2001 12:35:00 AM   
Hot Shot

OK. I think it's only needed to make some little changes in the oob, not because they are wrong, only to make the game more "realistic", and to make the ft much less avalaible: the last 4 or 5 games online or pbem i had, had converted to a huge "burning land", and it is very bored. I've been playing for years with SP1, SP3 and all versions of SPWAW, and now I am ready to say that this is ONLY the bug that I see. GREAT JOB DONE by the people of Matrix Games. Please A_B contact me if you want to modify some oobs.

(in reply to A_B)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Flamethrowers in all Engineer Squards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI