Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Historical - Data Side of MCNA...What do you think?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Historical - Data Side of MCNA...What do you think? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Historical - Data Side of MCNA...What do you think? - 7/24/2001 7:52:00 AM   
Wild Bill

One of the elements of the Mega Campaign that took many, many hours for me personally was the preparation, collation and coordination of the pictures and documents that accompany the scenarios of Mega Campaign North Africa. So far, I don't remember seeing any posts related to those. In the light of the time and effort put into it, I am wondering if it is worth it, is it something that you enjoy, is it something that enhances the play, or do you consider it superfluous? I know that you did not buy the campaign to read about North Africa. You can buy books to do that. You purchased it to play the battles. But I am wondering that if during play the materials included were of benefit to you and did they help create the atmosphere of the times and places portrayed? Any thoughts? Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 7/24/2001 8:06:00 AM   
Polrbear

Outstanding quality! Love the photos. Hoping for at least the same in future Mega-Campaigns. Thanks for the special effort.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 7/24/2001 8:08:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I thank you PB. I'm glad it has accomplished its purpose. Your letter alone makes it worhwhile. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 7/24/2001 8:10:00 AM   
SAMWolf

It all helps to put one in the "role" and adds to the atmosphere. :D

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 7/24/2001 10:52:00 AM   
Fabio Prado

The quality of the pictures and historical background included with the DFMC are excellent! They enhance an already well engineered batch of scenarios done by top notch designers. A really outstanding product! Fab

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 7/24/2001 1:33:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Thanks for the encouragement Warriors! It helps us to keep on keepin' on...Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 7/25/2001 2:06:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Knowing how you feel about this part of the MC will help us in our design for the future. I appreciate any feedback...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 7/25/2001 2:51:00 AM   
Larry W. Wilson

In my mind, the historical data helps to bring the game to life. before each mission, I read all of the documents. Thanks for the excellent research and the pictures. I certainly hope that this will be a part of all future MC offerings. Again, thanks for the work. It is appreciated by us grognards.

Twenty-Nine, Let's Go

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 7/25/2001 3:30:00 AM   
Tombstone

I think, regardless of wether or not the average player reads that stuff it should be there. It helps spread the truth about the history of our world. I'm sure its a lot of work, and I love reading that stuff myself. But I think games are a great way for a person to get introduced to new information and learn things... I think the historical reference and stuff is awesome. Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 7/25/2001 4:32:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

The historical documentation is the foundation of the roll playing aspect of the game. That it was beautifully done might get over-looked. in the frenzied battles that follow. I'll tell you..I read and loved every word..It made me feel like I was there in the sand those years now long gone.

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 7/25/2001 4:37:00 AM   
sinner

Maybe I did not comment because I take for granted outstanding quality. And the doc and pictures is just amazing. So I had no complaint: it meet my over-the-top expectations :D Keep on rockin!

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 7/25/2001 5:26:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Good enough! I learned a lot from doing this and if/when I do another we'll do it even better from this perspective and the battles too!...Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 7/25/2001 6:18:00 AM   
Charles2222

Wild Bill: I haven't played enough of the MC to see all but a bit of the first regular battle, but I must say adding 'atmosphere' means a lot. Before I got the disc, my guess was that you would have Panzer rollen in Afrika vor on it. From what I've seen by my cheating and looking for music on the cd you didn't do this. I would've liked to have seen the entire Praise of Rommel tune played out to a longer extent than it was though (or is that the entirity of the song in RL?).

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 7/25/2001 6:34:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks so much, Charles. I'm greatful. Derek Boain did all the new music for Mega Campaign, and David did a lot of researching for the specific AK tunes. I'm not sure if the music was truncated or edited for size. It does add a nice touch to the campaign. I enjoy the voice of Mark Schwanbeck doing the radio messages also. Nothing like a little atmosphere to enhance the game :D Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 7/25/2001 8:19:00 AM   
dfsrusa

I also thouroughly read and enjoy the text and pictures before each battle. It makes my decision making process about which choice of battle to chose that much more fun. Usually I have ended up with the non standard choices, and they have been great fun. One thing I'm wondering about is when the track will start to get non-historical. I mean, what if I keep winning and Monty doesn't force me back West? Did you create alternate reality texts and maps for those situations? I've already done some things that I'm not sure are historical. For example, I've killed General Wavell and now just outside Derna I've killed another General whose name was Pemberton or something, probably something else, Pemberton sounds too ACW to me. I was browsing through one of my WW II books the other night and came across a map entitled, "Wavells campaign in the desert" showing how he chased the Afrika Korps back. Well in my MC he definitely won't be doing that, and General P won't be going on to do anything that he did in reality. I'm very interested to see what's going to happen in North Afrika if I can keep pulling off at least moderate victories. A favorite strategy of mine in Avalon Hills Third Reich was to put a lot of resources into Africa and make sure to wipe the British totally off that continent early in '41. Then you can have a really good base for a pyramid from Africa up to Norway, and the Allies have a real hard time of getting anywhere. Will we get to see such possibilities in MCNA or will battles beyond our personal control force us into the historical retreat to Tunisia? I can't wait to find out. Once again, my highest accolations to you Wild Bill and all others making such great gaming possible. I hereby give you a field promotion to Field Marshall! (Oops, there go my delusions of grandeur again.) Hope you aren't taking too many penetrating hits on the email virus side. Stuff like that makes me want to rally the troops and do whatever we can to eliminate the perpetrators, but this being real life I guess the best we can do is to keep our heads down and our hard drives clean. A 150 mm HE shell emailed into the computer of the putz initiated the virus/worm crap sure would be nice though, or maybe just a bit of C4. Well, I've got to see if I can bag anymore ranking officers who are a little late at getting out of their Divisional HQ. They shouldn't have put so much faith in their perimeter defences. Not many men can stand up to massed armor. Scot Stephenson

Carpe Diem

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 7/25/2001 9:16:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I am polishing the silver on my Field Marshal's baton as we speak, Scot! Thank you! (I'm delusional too, but I am having fun! :rolleyes: ) I should not give away too much so do not continue reading unless you wish to as it does give away some of the end of the campaign. . . . . . . . . . . . . Remember, you are winning battles, but you are part of the bigger picture. You'll see flags change on the battle map. That does not mean you own the territory but that you won or lost your last fight in that area. So you may win but it may not be enough to change the overall course of the campaign. You will find yourself in some exotic and purely hypothetical situations and places. Of course, a campaign consists of few to many smaller battles. Example, the "Battle" of the Bulge was a campaign actually. The Germans won some and lost some in smaller unit increments but eventually lost the bigger picture. Lamentably history will not change for you Oberst Stephenson! Rommel will be proud and you may be allowed to ride with him in his Mammoth across Libya at the end as he retreats to Benghazi. You can't change the course of the war, but you can do your part. [ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill ]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 8/3/2001 12:51:00 PM   
Eagle-Talon

WB, I know your on assingment but I found this thread whilst looking for something else. I just wanted to say that I think the effort you put into the preparation of the MC and for that matter any of your work is just fantastic, your research into your work adds to the relism of playing the battle. Keep up the good work WB hope to see you back soon. :)

Ten men wisely lead can beat a hundred without a head.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 8/3/2001 1:39:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Thanks, Mate! I happened by and saw this. A couple of your countrymen made significant contributions too...Neil Stalker and Mike Rothery, two more good mates who really lent a helping hand! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 8/3/2001 2:16:00 PM   
Hammer2000

Hi Bill, just to say that all these pictures and text creates a real punch of atmosphere for the game, I can even feel the sand between my toes :D But somehow it is really too much to read at all, maybe you can shorten them just a little bit in further campaigns ? Oliver "Hammer" Heindorf

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 8/3/2001 3:08:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Well, will wonders never cease? The Hammer is back! Ollie Heindorf was one of the first Raiders, way back in 1998 and served his tour with distinction. It has been so long. I'm delighted to see your post here. Welcome! You'll love this Hammer. Its everything we wanted for so long in SP. Long? Why you know me by now! :D At what point did I ever run out of something to say...especially things military. Just read the short ones...you can always dig the long ones out of the Desert Fox directory and resave them...read them later! Good to have you hear, Ollie! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 8/3/2001 3:58:00 PM   
alassi

Personally i think that photos, maps etc. makes the campaigns more lively. There is more in a wargame than just the battles played...

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 8/3/2001 4:17:00 PM   
mogami

quote:

Originally posted by dfsrusa: For example, I've killed General Wavell and now just outside Derna I've killed another General whose name was Pemberton or something, probably something else, Pemberton sounds too ACW to Scot Stephenson
In the Sidi Rezegh scenario I included a British Brigader Jocko Campbell (he won the VC here) He controls a couple of harmless AT guns. He was promoted to Major General but was killed in action Feb 26, 1942

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 8/3/2001 8:32:00 PM   
Hammer2000

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Well, will wonders never cease? The Hammer is back! They never will, bud, never :) Ollie Heindorf was one of the first Raiders, way back in 1998 and served his tour with distinction. It has been so long. I'm delighted to see your post here. Welcome! hehe, thnx for the kind words ! You'll love this Hammer. Its everything we wanted for so long in SP. Yeah, its now really a great game with all the improvments made, remember Sp1 ? LOL ! Long? Why you know me by now! :D At what point did I ever run out of something to say...especially things military. The reason is simple : You know much too much in such things :D Just read the short ones...you can always dig the long ones out of the Desert Fox directory and resave them...read them later! Will do so ! Thank you for the idea !! Good to have you hear, Ollie! :) :cool:
Olli [ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Hammer2000 ]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 8/5/2001 8:44:00 AM   
Battling Tutur

The historical side of the mega campaign just brings the difference between a classical campaign (even a dynamic one!) and desert fox. What realy delighted me is that the comments were not only about strengh of army, but also how soldiers did live in the desert, what was their live in this battlefield, what did they have to endure. That is what I call a job well done . :D Just one suggestion : on the historical side, do you think you could manage to put some docs about civilian population enduring the war in future MC ? that could be interesting. But again, congratulation on a job well done.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 8/5/2001 9:00:00 AM   
BruceAZ

If you did not have a historical side to SPWAW, I probally would not play the game or visit the Web site. Bruce Semper Fi

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 8/5/2001 1:49:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I think that succinctly but very adequately expresses the feeling of many of us here, Bruce. Point well taken Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Historical - Data Side of MCNA...What do you think? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI