Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/2/2003 12:42:30 AM   
dragoniv

Here's the way I see it work on my system. Try it on yours:

1. Communication comes in from my wimpy neighbors to the south.
2. Them: "We have bad things to say to you, matey."
3. Them: "You give us $1000, you not fear our ships."
4. Me: "Go to hell." Technically, the conversation is over.

Typically, clicking the ACK (check button) or Close will close the window. But sometimes...it doesn't, and the comm window reopens.

When this occurs, I always press the ACK button and it goes away. I think I've seen the cycle repeat it self if I click Close a second time. However, it does sound that maybe you're hitting a bug that for whatever reason I don't see.

Here's a take on the "buggy" software state of the industry. I manage a software development team myself (unfortunately NOT in the gaming industry), and I see this ALL OVER THE PLACE. Upper management is always focused on the here-and-now financial picture, and everything (can you say software projects) is wanted yesterday.

**** the testing! **** the documentation! Just get it out the door! It doesn't make us any money on the development floor, now does it?!?!?

So, we march forward, knowing full well this strategy will bite us in the *** (and it ALWAYS does). Six months later, after the giddiness of the initial money take, they start saying things like "hey, why are our support costs so freaking high?" We retort "Remember all that testing you wanted us to skinny down or skip? Remember how we compacted six weeks of development into three with half as many developers? Remember how that case of Jolt soda was supposed to turn us into robots?" However, that typically gets miscontrued as a call for more rigid documentation, and off we go inventing all sorts of new procedures that we won't be able to use come the next time crunch. :) Viscious cycle.

Consoles are buggy as hell, though, too. UI is generally cleaner than PC games, but some recent titles have had some atrocious bugs that make you ask "You guys DID test EVERY level, DIDN'T YOU?!?!?"

People go out and buy the software anyway. Maybe someday they'll wake up...but probably not.

(in reply to Moraelin)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI