Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/2/2003 6:56:51 PM   
Caranorn

Well, my experience with capital ships just doubled last night as 2 or 3 CA's in an allied bombardment force hit my minefield at Gili Gili (defensive type). But that makes it 5-6 capital ships hitting mines in some 40-50 bombardment missions in mined hexes so far (I did not keep count, but did notice very few capital ships ever took damage, and that was negligible as on several occasions a surface action occured right after and the ships showed little damage (rarely any smoke at all)).

For the rest I agree that defending minefields with subs seems rather gamey to say the least (yes subs might respond to a MSW TF in a hex for more then a turn or two, but it certainly does not seem logical to have subs lying in wait for such a TF to appear). From the technical point of view, MSW vessels (not DMS) would be at the bottom of those ships I'd see submarines target, with for the Japs CV, CVL, CVE, BB, CA and CL at the top, for the allies AO, TK, AP etc. To me, MSW vessels make as unlikely a target as PC's or PG's. All forms of destroyers somewhere in the middle as they make worthwhile targets but be rather deadly for the sub. But it's true, I've seen small vessels target regularly by subs in the game (last night an ai US sub even sunk one of my barges by gunfire, though you could say that was a no risk job (8 barge TF) and as such maybe not all that unlikely).

Finally, minewarfare should be an important part of the game, but possibly players overdo it (the ai doesn't seem to do that as I have had no problem yet, actually the ai doesn't use offensive mines enough I'd say). From what I've read here, I guess I'd favour a house rule of no subs lurking in minefields for Pbem games (I haven't played UV against a human player yet as my new PC is not hooked up to the web for now (I'm a Mac person still and only slowly moving over), so my personal experiences in that area are limited). Possibly also limit offensive minelaying in some way (but other then all or nothing, or possibly no high seas mining I see no controlable way, and I for one would be absolutely against a no mines game or a no offensive mines game).

Marc aka Caran...

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI