Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hi from the new guy and an embarrasing question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hi from the new guy and an embarrasing question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hi from the new guy and an embarrasing question - 7/25/2001 12:01:00 PM   
Grinch

Hello all, I just downloaded this game and thought I would drop in to say hi. I have heard a lot of great things about this game and I look forward to playing. this is where my not so bright question comes in. I am not reall computer savvy so I have been having problems installing. It installs a ways and then asks for disk 2! This is where I am stumped. Am I doing something wrong here? I decided to delete the file and Im now in the process of downloading from a different site but I am coming here in case I encounter the same problems. Thanks to all in advance for any help and I look forward to playing what looks to be a great game!

Post #: 1
- 7/25/2001 12:18:00 PM   
kao16

The dreaded "...insert disk 2" problem. Unfortuneately, this means that there is something wrong with your download. It is possible that you didn't complete the download..... if using a download manager (e.g., Getright) you may be able to re-commence downloading and get the rest of the file. Alternatively you may have to download the whole thing again (believe me, this is not an uncommon problem... check the "search" option looking for "disk 2" for stories) Edit addition>> the above was sent without reading beyond ...disk 2..., the problem is so well known that I jumped to respond :o [ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: kao16 ]

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 2
- 7/25/2001 12:42:00 PM   
Grinch

Thanks for the quick reply. I finished downloading from another site and the good news is I no longer get the insert disk 2 problem. Now it immediately asks for disk 1! Are there any other sites to download the game from other than the two listed on this site?

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 3
- 7/25/2001 1:30:00 PM   
Grinch

I tried downloading from both the edomes site and games domain.

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 4
- 7/25/2001 1:32:00 PM   
xjussix

That's strange..I downloaded the game from eDome and had no problems.

Member of the NSAA. :eek:
Don't ask what it is :D You don't want to know.

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 5
- 7/25/2001 10:23:00 PM   
Warrior

When I first downloaded the game it took me about 6 tries before I got it right.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 6
- 7/25/2001 11:49:00 PM   
Grinch

Warrior, did you have to download it 6 times, or just try installing it 6 times?

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 7
- 7/26/2001 12:52:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Happy to have you Grinch! What download program are you using? How fast is your download time? Do you have DSL, cable or standard modem? Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 8
- 7/26/2001 3:08:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by Grinch: Warrior, did you have to download it 6 times, or just try installing it 6 times?
I'm not sure it was actually **6** times, but I downloaded more than twice before I got a clean install. It's not that unusual for a download to become corrupted, and the only thing you can do is try again until it's right.

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 9
- 7/26/2001 3:22:00 AM   
Grinch

Thanks Warrior. Im now in the process of trying to directly download from matrix. Hopefully this will work. Cross my fingers!

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 10
- 7/26/2001 3:34:00 AM   
deggo

I think it was the first version I had the disk two message but the game actually worked as if it installed completely. I expected some problem to eventually arise but it seemed ok. I later had a major PC crash and had to download the whole thing again. Scott

Scott

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 11
- 7/26/2001 10:04:00 AM   
Grinch

Well it looks as if this game just doesnt like me. Ive finished my 6th try and still no joy. It would figure that a game that I have heard such great things about would be the one thing not to work right. Thanks to all for your help.

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 12
- 7/26/2001 10:19:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by Grinch: Well it looks as if this game just doesnt like me. Ive finished my 6th try and still no joy. It would figure that a game that I have heard such great things about would be the one thing not to work right. Thanks to all for your help.
Check your email, all is not lost. :D

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 13
- 7/26/2001 10:46:00 AM   
Grinch

Thanks for your email Warrior. I really appreciate your help. Its so refreshing coming to such a friendly and helpful board. Wild Bill, Im sorry I missed your reply. I am using real download and I am downloading with cable. It usually takes between 1-2 hours to complete the full download depending on what site I go to. I think it may have been a problem with PKzip so I tried getting WINzip just in case. It would often time out while unzipping so I will try this as a last resort.

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 14
- 7/26/2001 12:54:00 PM   
Grinch

Well what do you know. I used winzip and it worked fine! NowI finaly get to see what all the fuss is about! :) Thanks again for the help.

(in reply to Grinch)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hi from the new guy and an embarrasing question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI