Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An eye opener for Johnny Canuck: THANK YOU MATRIX

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An eye opener for Johnny Canuck: THANK YOU MATRIX Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An eye opener for Johnny Canuck: THANK YOU MATRIX - 7/27/2001 5:26:00 PM   
bradmbrown

I have not fallen for the common gamer's "Myth Of German Invincibily." All the units in this game and any others I have played, unless horribly incompetent efforts, provide for players of both sides. That said, I would like to make comment on Canucks. That is, Canadians, eh? I have used all the armies I could click on. Love 'em all by cracky. BUT, I have found a special place in my gamer's heart of hearts for The Canadian Army as represented in SPWAW. (go ahead, players, if you haven't tried the Canadians, go for it, play them like you would British troops, you won't be dissapointed... amazing) Being Canadian, I have read LOT of glowing commentary about my county's efforts in that war, of course, written by Canadians... I always took it with a grain of salt, as anyone should when listening to or reading complimentary work: Now, I have my hands on a well designed game and I can find few faults in it. AND, there are CANADIAN'S present AND they are JUST SO COOL TO USE! I am gonna have to re-read some history, I think. To the Matrix Steel Panthers crew: Thank you for bringing my Grandfather's and Great Uncles' war-stories out of the relm of The Unreal and allowing me to SEE! ... ... Or is the quality of Canuck troops as represented in SPWAW a "bug?" Nah, say it ain't so, eh? :D

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now
Post #: 1
- 7/27/2001 9:23:00 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Hi all, You know what, my Canadian wife feels the same way you do. Every time she hotseats me in SPWAW she usually kicks my yankee butt :D. I personally like the Canadian snipers :) I think the pic in Steel Panthers World At War makes the Canadian sniper rather menacing looking :D You may want to read about the Canadian Black Watch missions and landings at D-Day. Pretty amazing stuff :D Sincerely and best wishes to all, Mike AKA: Chief Wiggum AKA Again: IronicFate

" A teacher does not teach, a true teacher leads his students to enlightenment..."

(in reply to bradmbrown)
Post #: 2
- 7/28/2001 1:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

In my personal opinion with limited knowledge, from Dieppe onward the Canucks showed amazing courage...tough fighters. The Germans highly respected their fighting abilities. Reading about their advance through Caen is heart stirring to say the least. It seems fair to me, Johnny Canuck...Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to bradmbrown)
Post #: 3
- 7/28/2001 3:06:00 AM   
Bing

According to Max Hastings, the British general staff looked down on the Canadians for their "lack of discipline" but could not dispute their fighting abilities either. From what I gather, Canadian aircrews were notoriously lacking in discipline. Knowing my friend, a former RCAF flight instructor, as I do I can verify the tradition lived on after the war. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to bradmbrown)
Post #: 4
- 7/28/2001 3:59:00 AM   
bradmbrown

My granddad told me about "fragging." He said if an officer was no good, he would get a not so subtle message. Eventually, the "officer class" changed into something a little bit more to the liking of the troops... And the British hanged and shot a LOT of Canucks, both world wars... Darwinism, kinda...

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to bradmbrown)
Post #: 5
- 7/28/2001 4:19:00 AM   
Greenlake

quote:

Originally posted by Bing: According to Max Hastings, the British general staff looked down on the Canadians for their "lack of discipline" but could not dispute their fighting abilities either. From what I gather, Canadian aircrews were notoriously lacking in discipline. Knowing my friend, a former RCAF flight instructor, as I do I can verify the tradition lived on after the war. Bing
Well they sure couldn't of have been worse than there Commonwealth brethen. I have been told some wild, first hand stories about ANZAC troops. ;)

(in reply to bradmbrown)
Post #: 6
- 7/28/2001 5:49:00 AM   
Bing

Well they sure couldn't of have been worse than there Commonwealth brethen. I have been told some wild, first hand stories about ANZAC troops. ================================= Ah well, now we are discussing Australians. That is an entirely different matter. The topic was I believe Canadians. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to bradmbrown)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An eye opener for Johnny Canuck: THANK YOU MATRIX Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI