Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Something I wish this game had

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Something I wish this game had Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something I wish this game had - 10/9/2003 1:06:56 PM   
Aloid

Answer: A stupid human alert

Picture if you will...

A task force of American Carriers is heading North, covering an invasion force intent on kicking the Japanese out of Gili Gili.

An SBD pilot walks up to the Captain of the Lexington (yes she survived Coral Sea)...

Pilot "Ahhh, sir..."
Capt. "don't ask me again pilot"
Pilot "but sir, shouldn't we take at least a couple planes off ASW patrol in case we run into Jap carriers?"
Capt. "I told you not to talk about that didn't I? You know I can't do that."
Pilot "but sir, we've been on 100% ASW duty for over two weeks now..."
Capt. "I have my orders son, you know I can't change them!"

Suddenly the klaxon sounds battle stations. The Captain never hears it, as the Japanese air-strike sinks everything...

Somewhere, in a different place and time, sits a gamer (in shock), slowly realizing his mistake, happy there is no-one (real) to witness his absolute gaff.

Oh well, time to reload, and go at it again...

This is still the life!

Aloid

“The best games are those where you get to drop bombs on ships.” D.Fling
Post #: 1
- 10/9/2003 1:47:50 PM   
Mike_B20

or...

Sailor : "Sir, our seagulls have sighted 5 Jap CV's 60 miles to the Northeast !".
Capain : "Well, there's nothing I can do about that, my orders are to patrol for submarines".
Sailor: "Sir, shouldn't we arm the 60 aircraft in the hangars for a strike against the CV's, or at least put up more CAP?"
Captain: "I have my orders and so do you sailor...ready another 4 SBD's for anti-sub patrol"
Sailor: "Yes sir".

Never give up, never surrender

(in reply to Aloid)
Post #: 2
...speaking of those seagulls... - 10/9/2003 4:54:35 PM   
akulas

does anybody strip them off the ships and concentrate them elsewhere? naval primary, land secondary in port morbid or later in lae...they do a great job for me (vs. the ai anyway). for what it is worth, i understand that part of the problem the japanese had at midway is that the carrier aircraft were armed for attacking midway (bombs) as ordered...and re-armed again (torpedos) upon rumor of U.S. carrier forces...maybe more than once...caught the japanese carriers doing re-arm/top-off. i also seem to recall an event where a british officer shouted down a rating that was trying to explain/inform that the protective caps/covers/plugs where still mounted on the ship's guns...ordered "shoot" regardless...and they did. a friend also told me a story (vietnam era) about the "friendlies" having evacuated an area...known to be a prelude to "something going down" and the customary increase in security/rediness didn't happen (a discussion took place with saigon with the response of something like the "i've got my orders...so do you")...a two night rocket attack with other light support weapons was what happened next...he said there were five men seriously wounded as a result. didn't the austrians have a metal for *not* following orders?

(in reply to Aloid)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Something I wish this game had Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI