Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWaW on Linux WebPage Finished!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW on Linux WebPage Finished! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWaW on Linux WebPage Finished! - 7/30/2001 9:43:00 AM   
sinner

Fellow Gamers, I just finished the webpage on HOWTO install and play SPWaW on Linux! http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy/Steel/linux_en.html I have an area to include your success stories, so other people will know what setup you are using. This way, it can become easier to figure out what do they need to play SPWaW on Linux. Comments wellcome. Also, please correct my English. I can say SturmTiger better than properly spelling artillery :D

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"
Post #: 1
- 7/30/2001 10:28:00 AM   
ectizen

Good stuff! Two changes for the success stories:[list]
  • Both of my systems are running XFree86 V 4.0.3
  • The system with the Trident video card uses the "trident" driver ;)[/list] Feel free to add my email, for anyone that want to ask me about my setups.

ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W

(in reply to sinner)
  • Post #: 2
    - 7/30/2001 10:41:00 AM   
    sinner

OK ectizen, Done! I guess that my cut'n'paste hability is worst than my operational combat skill. :D

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 3
    - 7/30/2001 11:24:00 AM   
    ectizen

A couple of other things you might want to change or mention:[list]
  • If you're using Gnome instead of KDE, the graphical package manager is gnorpm, not Kpackage.
  • The period in .wine is a leading period, not trailing.
  • It might be worthwhile advising people to try running something simpler than SP:WaW first. This would help to point out basic installation/configuration problems, before they encounter more advanced difficulties.
  • Desktop resolutions less than 800x600 probably won't work. 800x600 probably would, but you'd lose any multitasking benefits, and if there were problems, you may get stuck. Although if you have mouse focusing problems, 800x600 might be safest. 1024x768 and above will give you SP:WaW in the top left of your desktop.
  • When starting a terminal, if you move it to the bottom right, you can see some diagnostic messages as the game starts and runs. Additionally, if you encounter mouse or keyboard problems in the game, you can switch back to the terminal and press Ctrl-C to abort the game.
  • In english it would be: Linux is very picky with uppercase and lowercase.
  • For what it's worth, I've had no problems installing and updating SP:WaW in something other than the default directories.
  • In the introduction, Linux is a bluescreen-free Operating System. [/list]

(in reply to sinner)
  • Post #: 4
    - 7/30/2001 11:50:00 AM   
    sinner

ectizen, Thank you for your input. I just corrected the webpage. Also, I have added many of your sensible comments. The only one that I "opted out" is the one of Desktop resolution: I recomend not using it, as well as to not using the Managed Windows option. It can cause more trouble than benefits. So, for WINE starters, better leave them out! Thank you again.

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 5
    - 7/30/2001 1:22:00 PM   
    ectizen

Ahh... you misunderstood :) When I was talking about "desktop", I was referring to the linux desktop - the resolution used by X windows - not the "Desktop" option in the wine config. I thought it was worth mentioning, since not everyone runs X windows at 1280x1024 ;)

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 6
    - 7/30/2001 9:26:00 PM   
    sinner

My friend, Got it. Now I understand :) I'm adding it to the page. It will be there in 5 minutes. Also, Can you please modify my site's entry on SPWaW WebRing? Something like : "SPWaW on Linux + Battlefield Tactics" would be great. Thank you very much.

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 7
    - 7/31/2001 4:39:00 AM   
    bradmbrown

I got RedHat. It sits in a tiny Maintanence partion. And I have an old 540 mB HDD in a drawer growing old. I am gonna follow your instructions. I like Linux, but I don't use it much becausue there isn't (hasn't been) much fun stuff I can do with it, except learn *nix... NOW, there is a reason for all the horrible Linux FAQs I have subjected myself to over the years... Cool Thank you.

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 8
    - 7/31/2001 5:57:00 AM   
    sinner

Hi General, Now, installing Linux (RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake) is very easy. And there are lots of usefull applications. I use Linux exclusively. I have a good e-mail client (it manages multiple accounts), a bunch of web-browsers, cool multimedia apps, development tools, 3D games (Soldier of Fortune, Descent 3, Quake III)... And, of course, vital applications: Korganizer, StarOffice (there's a version for Windows if you want to try it before using it on Linux) and, of course, Steel Panthers :D Please, let me know if you need help.

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 9
    - 8/3/2001 5:03:00 AM   
    McDrum

I also was able of playing SPWaW 5.1 in linux. Mine is SuSE 7.2 pro distro, easy and clean. Just installed wine and winesetup-a menudriven tool, you have not longer to configure the wine.conf file- and that was it. To linux newbies, perhaps you have to reconfigure your MsWindow$ fstab entries to give read-write-execute access to every user. You can find the howto in the 40 to 50 entries in the wine faq file in the wine web site: http://www.winehq.com/faq.html#q46 also you can find there many useful tips. Thanks a lot: PS: Joé, Pecador, vaya esfuerzo para explicar a todos los de la pajuera que y quién es Chiquito de la Calzada, :D tú crees que entenderán algo? Un saludo!!

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 10
    - 8/3/2001 5:21:00 AM   
    sinner

McDrum: ¿que pacha con los Palentinos? ¿buena artillería? :D Lo del Chiquito, mira, se intenta. Al menos, tú lo has entendido. M'alegro. Otra cosa, ¿me puedes enviar rellenado el "cuestionario" de los éxitos de SPWaW en Linux? Mira al final de la peich. Te puedes hacer famoso en mi peich. El poner tu emilio en la lista de éxitos es opcional, claro :P For English-speakers: Whasssup with Palentia people? Good artillery? About Chiquito, well, I have tried. At least, you have understood it. Cool. Also. Can you feel in the questions that apperar in the Success stories area on SPWaW on Linux page? You can become famous. And your e-mail will only show up there if you agree, of course. Salut, Sinner

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 11
    - 8/5/2001 2:43:00 AM   
    Nemesis

You sir, are a genius! I tried to get SPWAW to work under my SuSE 7.1 a while ago, but I coulnd't get it to work properly (no sound among other things). I will retry when I have the time and I will get back to you.

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 12
    - 8/5/2001 5:02:00 AM   
    sinner

Nemesis, I am not a genious. Just stubborn enough to keep trying until SPWaW worked on Linux :D Anyway, if you need help, just tell me. I will be happy to help you. And, after you are running SPWaW, you can send me the data of your set-up, so you can be part of the "SPWaW on Linux: Success Stories" Salut,

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 13
    - 8/6/2001 4:38:00 AM   
    Nemesis

quote:

Originally posted by Sinner from the Prairy: Nemesis, I am not a genious. Just stubborn enough to keep trying until SPWaW worked on Linux :D Anyway, if you need help, just tell me. I will be happy to help you. And, after you are running SPWaW, you can send me the data of your set-up, so you can be part of the "SPWaW on Linux: Success Stories" Salut,
    Will do :)!

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to sinner)
    Post #: 14
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW on Linux WebPage Finished! Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI