Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Historical Accuracy vs Playability

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Historical Accuracy vs Playability Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Historical Accuracy vs Playability - 10/17/2003 3:10:14 AM   
Bernie

Okay, here's a thread that has the potential to spark some interesting debates, and make it into the HOF. :) Having worked on MCSE I know how much effort we put into making it as historically accurate as possible. However, due to limitations in the game engine itself I doubt we'll ever get 100% accuracy in SP:WaW. My question is: Which is more imporatnt to you, the player? Accuracy or playability? Also, on the topic of historical accuracy, I want to discuss the use of various units in non-historical ways. I've seen threads here where it was said that using German MC units (and those of other countries) as "fast scouts" isn't historically accurate, as they weren't employed in this role. There's also the whole artillery limitation issue which, while needed for playability, isn't very historically accurate. What's your opinion?

What, me worry?
Post #: 1
- 10/17/2003 3:22:38 AM   
Grimm

The balance, for me, depends alot on what game it is I am playing. In regards to SPWaW, I expect it to lean more towards the accurate end of the scale than the playable one. This is based on the great amount of attention and detail that is contained in the OOBs.

IMO, I think Matrix has found a good balance. I can play a game with a great amount of attention paid to historical detail and still enjoy the experience! :D

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 2
- 10/17/2003 9:42:54 AM   
K62

I also vote for #1, even though the choice seems rather vague to me.

For one thing, in SPWaW accuracy is an important part of playability. People have fun with this game [I]because[/I] it is detailed and well-researched. It makes you feel that you can/must take the same kind of decisions as a field commander did in WW2. It makes you learn more about this great historical event.

That's more than 50% of the fun IMHO. That's why I vote for maximum accuracy - because I want maximum bang from the game ;)

Does playability mean for you "blowing things up" (i.e., multimedia effects) like in the last option of the poll?

Or does it mean play balance, like in your first post? :confused:

If it means [B]play balance[/B], that's even [I]harder[/I] to achieve than accuracy! Even a game as comparatively simple as chess is disbalanced and your chances and strategies depend a lot on which side you play.

A simple example for SPW@W. Let's say you have 1000 buy points to get tanks. It is hopeless and impossible to figure out a cost scheme that will allow you equal chances whether you buy Tigers or M4s! It just depends too much on terrain, support troops, weather etc. Somebody will always have good reason to complain that he was 'beaten on the purchase screen' :D

The examples are kinda confuse :( Can you, or anybody, guarantee that no batallion commander ever used MCs as "fast scouts" in WW2? To put it differently, does accuracy imply you have to know perfectly your army's drill book - and follow it to the letter? I don't think so.

Artillery limitation [I]is[/I] historical IMHO. There was only so much arty a small unit could have and so much that could be shifted from division reserve. It is not perfect (Americans should usually have more points for arty, Soviets in late '41 only a few big guns since they lost most everything in the retreat) but it's a step in the right direction.

"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak"
John Adams

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Historical Accuracy vs Playability Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI