Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

% hit-chance numbers messed up?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> % hit-chance numbers messed up? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
% hit-chance numbers messed up? - 8/5/2001 6:40:00 AM   
Totenkopf

Most of the time when I play (latest version), I regularly find that LMGs (and to a lesser extent, rifles) scoring NO hits on very good hit-chance percentages that are well above 50%. Sometimes my LMGs can't score hits several times in a row on a 96% hit-chance! SMGs, flamethrowers, MMGs, and HMGs seems to correlate more to the hit-chance percentage. Also, SMGs and flame units seems more likely to score hits on something as low as 3% hit chance! To me these numbers are all f**ked up! Can someone plz tell me EXACTLY what these numbers are suppose to mean?

Post #: 1
- 8/5/2001 7:04:00 AM   
Supervisor

Which ver of SPWAW are you running???

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 2
- 8/5/2001 7:36:00 AM   
Totenkopf

I'm running 6.1, and the problem is still persisting. Is it just me?

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 3
- 8/5/2001 7:59:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Totenkopf: Most of the time when I play (latest version), I regularly find that LMGs (and to a lesser extent, rifles) scoring NO hits on very good hit-chance percentages that are well above 50%. Sometimes my LMGs can't score hits several times in a row on a 96% hit-chance! SMGs, flamethrowers, MMGs, and HMGs seems to correlate more to the hit-chance percentage. Also, SMGs and flame units seems more likely to score hits on something as low as 3% hit chance! To me these numbers are all f**ked up! Can someone plz tell me EXACTLY what these numbers are suppose to mean?
When you say hit, do you mean score a kill? You can hit a unit and just add suppression. Remeber now long distance fire is good for adding suppression not causing casualties. What is your experiance with each of the weapons firing at 1 or 2 hexes range? thanks, John.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 4
- 8/5/2001 10:46:00 AM   
Totenkopf

Yeah, I mean inflicting casualties. To my understanding, a 'hit' means inflicting casualties on anything, like infantry, in that hex. Maybe it means hitting the hex and not neccessarily the units inside it? I just find it frustrating how my squads most of the time can't inflict casualties on the enemy (several tries in a row) when they have like 70-90% chance to hit them using LMGs/BARs while other weapons like SMGs and flame units seems to fair better under LOWER hit-chance percentages. I hope I'm making sense to you guys.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 5
- 8/5/2001 12:33:00 PM   
Drex

I now play with the messages turned off to be more realistic. The percentages don't really mean anything since every shooting event is an independent event and you can miss even though it says 97%. When a unit fires it doesn't consider percentages only the distance,LOS, etc.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 6
- 8/5/2001 3:07:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Totenkopf: Yeah, I mean inflicting casualties. To my understanding, a 'hit' means inflicting casualties on anything, like infantry, in that hex. Maybe it means hitting the hex and not neccessarily the units inside it? I just find it frustrating how my squads most of the time can't inflict casualties on the enemy (several tries in a row) when they have like 70-90% chance to hit them using LMGs/BARs while other weapons like SMGs and flame units seems to fair better under LOWER hit-chance percentages. I hope I'm making sense to you guys.
Hello, If my mind isn't playing tricks on me, I think I remember that the to hit percentage is to hit, not to cause casualties. Causing casualties takes another 'roll' adjusted by experience. So if the guys on the recieving end are experienced, they will take fewer casualties than green troops. Regards, Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 7
- 8/6/2001 12:58:00 AM   
JTGEN

I must agree with this hitting problem. This is a good example of how this is messed up(and similar happens all the time. I am defending with Brits against soviets. Soviet engineers come into minefield (clear hex) neighbouring my +90% experience paratroopers entrenched in forest. Is hoot first 10* sten with 67% hit chance and no casualties, then lmg with 97% hit chnce and no casualties and finally granade with +40% chance and no casualties. Then soviets fire back with smg's and one dead and flamethrower 8 casualties and grenade misses. All the chances the soviets had about 1/3 of my hit chances. This is not unique and it drives me nuts. Especially if yopu shoot enemy squad and nothing happens and then the backfire with 1/10 of the chance scores 3 kills. Something is messed up in here.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 8
- 8/6/2001 2:00:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Infantry combat is handled in a way similar to armor combat in that there is a "hit chance" and then an "effect resolution. With vehicels, you can hit something "on the edge" or in a non-vulnerable location and have nothing happen. Similary, teh "to hit" number for infantry is not the chance of "kiling someone" bu the chance of invoking the casualty routine. If you fail to hit a vehicle, then you have no chance of penetrating ordamagin it. Similarly you have to have your troops shooting at the right target, in an effective way to have a chance to cause casualties. SO if you get a hit, that does not mean that a guy is killed - but that you have 1 or more chances (based on your firepower and other die rolls) to score a casualty. Now even after that there is a chance that based on experiene the enemy will ignore the hit and either fight on with his wound, or "duck at the last second" and make what what have been a hit a miss. So if your hit chances are high, then you have a higher probability of casuing casualties than if it is lower, but a "hit" with a pistol is not going to produce casualties as effectively as a "hit" with a 50call or MG42.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> % hit-chance numbers messed up? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI