Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is worth a battle?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> What is worth a battle? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is worth a battle? - 10/25/2003 6:08:44 PM   
Angel

Hi.If you are playing IJN in sc.17 and manage to take PM without significant losses and secure your defensive perimeter can you be satisfied or are you in desperate need for something more?
In other words have you a reasonable chance to delay the US attack in 43 and win on points?

If the answer is no, its seems there is nothing worth a battle for USN in 42 except defending auto victotry bases.But can IJN go for autovictory if USN is still at full strength?( If again the answer is no, it means IJN has no chance to win...)
In my games as IJN my opponents generally accept an ealy battle for PM , I wonder if they are rigth or if the better strategy would be just to wait and preserve their forces.
Post #: 1
- 10/26/2003 2:43:10 AM   
CapAndGown

Difficult questions. Seems to me that you may be able to cause significant damage to the USN if you go for an autovictory base. In other words, if you have not drawn out his carriers yet, this is the way to do it. Course, it will depend on the time frame. If you are still in July/August, I would go for it. If it is later then I would try a feint to draw out his carriers but not actually attempt a landing.

In my one game that has gone to 12/42 I am ahead by 7000 points now. I sunk all the USN carriers for the loss of only two of my own, plus a couple sent back to Tokyo. (Basically, I have 3 fleet carriers and 3 CVLs left in theater.) So I feel I am in a good position to hold him off. But I am not going to rely on my carriers to win the day. Rather, my plan centers on my four surface combat groups to engage whatever landing he attempts to make, plus airstrikes by CVs and Betties to hit his transports. I want to hit him while unloading so hard he can't recover. Barring that, even if he does get ashore and gets a foothold on my side of the Coral Sea, I have been building up a defense in depth and have such a wide point spread that I feel confident of a victory.

(in reply to Angel)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> What is worth a battle? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI