Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

K.V.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> K.V. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
K.V. - 10/22/2003 11:12:53 PM   
DBLWIDE

So why keep sniping? I have dumped the game already. Had expected the customary "doesn't get it" remarks as is true with any cult; this is seen even in a recent post indicating perhaps that those that don't get it are, shall we say, limited in intellect or even the ability to do math. None are specific to me. You keep your comments about me as private and I will do the same. You are far more like Rizzo than Pilgrim.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 1
- 10/22/2003 11:21:57 PM   
Mike_B20

The game does have a lot of frustrating features and outright bugs.
Many of the veterans have been here from the start and do not see the bugs any more. They find workarounds and use them. They even come to consider some of the bugs "normal" and not needing to be fixed.

Meanwhile the bugs go unfixed as Matrix push ahead with the bigger project - WITP.

The fact is many new users get upset by some of the crazy bugs in UV.
A lot of the workarounds are hidden in obscure threads.
Matrix can listen to these new users or ignore them and risk losing customers for WITP.
Apparently, they will ignore them until after WITP is finished and Matrix get around to a much needed patch for UV.

Personally I've had much enjoyment from UV, despite many frustrations with weird game behaviour.
I do feel however, more like a beta tester for WITP than buyer of a finished and polished product.

Never give up, never surrender

Post #: 2
K.V. - 10/23/2003 5:03:28 AM   
DBLWIDE

So, have the last word if you like. Just don't make it personal.

Post #: 3
K.V. - 10/23/2003 12:22:57 PM   
DBLWIDE

And looking at your posts you are just so full of it. Humor, of course. Let's see at this rate you will break 3,000 posts anytime now.

Post #: 4
Sticking with it must be the key? - 10/25/2003 12:57:24 PM   
DBLWIDE

Noted that the prior post is sticking with Uncommon Valor as a game. Well and good. Was expecting this party to be talked about as being, well, too stupid to understand and whatnot. That did not happen. I guess the basic key is one can declare that Uncommon Valor is the most bug filled game one has seen, but as long as one sticks with it, that is OK? A serious question (or two) though, has War in the Pacific been released for general beta play? If so, what are the qualifications to be a beta player?

Post #: 5
K.V. - 10/26/2003 1:39:35 AM   
DBLWIDE

Thanks for comments. No, nobody called me stupid directly. There are posts/threads though that indicate that if "UV is for you", one has to have some mathmatical ability and whatnot. Here is some basic personal info that may shed some light on me.

First of all, I have been playing wargames starting with the Avalon Hill games possibly longer than other persons posting here have been alive. These games include the monster game "War in the Pacific" and the majority of Micro$oft DOS games from SSI. (As a matter of fact, my game buddies and I were in the San Antonio Light newspaper because were got press on our game as part of the December 7th annuals...off topic I know.) I also had an unsignificant and small part in the Air Force's Project Warrior, which were wargames for real soldiers. I did beta paytesting for SPI for games such as "Korea" and, well, maybe you get the picture.

Secondly, as for the computer side of things, I've been in the field for decades as a profession. Pretty much the entire spectrum of experience there.

I have the depth and breadth of experience that certainly qualify me as able to comment with some strength on Uncommon Valor. I do not know the pedigree of others here, much less yours, but I don't automatically assume that negative comments are unqualified from an unknowing, impatient and dorky party.

I know that, with some smug pride, some claim that Uncommon Valor is only a Grognard game and lesser beings can't and will not appreciate it. Well, by any measure I understand, I am a Grognard and I do not appreciate a game as that is overly buggy and not ready for primetime as Uncommon Valor is.

On the other hand, because of personal issues, I've got plenty of time and would really appreciate a good, playable release of War in the Pacific. I would not mind dealing with the bugs as a beta player. I have lots of patience contrary to what many have thought here. I also am able to ascertain a POS pretty quickly too, I only needed a week or so that it evidenly took others more than a month to figure out.

I would be interested in War in the Pacific if it is affordable and the basic bugs are fixed. I have, however, no interest in looking at the Mona Lisa if she has a beard. I will have no interest in War in the Pacific if, it too, has critical flaws.

I bought Uncommon Valor from a party in my city who had basically sold it to me cheap with a warning. I gave the game to another party who returned it with a thumbs down. Both of these people are Grognard types and so that makes zero for three out of personal experience.

Uncommon Valor went into my pile of crappy games, right alongside of the other G.G. game I mentioned earlier. For the same reason, as it is unplayable and, even for me, a waste of time.

Post #: 6
K.V. - 10/26/2003 8:22:40 AM   
DBLWIDE

...and what was it with that unit in Matra(?)...I heard later that there was a German unit that always broadcasted "Nothing to report." That bit of Teutonic rigor was used to calibrate/verify the codebreakers. Yep, played that Afrika Corps and the one released...when, in the 80's?...with the German bike with the side car on the cover. Or was that "PanzerArmee Afrika"?...been too long. Just to swap stories, also from the '60s...was chased out of the Rexall Drug store that had "Midway" (the one with the "every trooper is in the Atago") 'cause I was looking at the game box too long and it must have looked suspicious. Finally did play it though...as the Japanese with friends...never won it until we resarched adding destroyers to the game. One point to sink 'em, one AA assigned to each.

One other minor insight, I did actually see the real K.V. once. Or so I thought. Also did a research paper on the guy.

Adios.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> K.V. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI