Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing without sound card SPWAW v6.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Playing without sound card SPWAW v6.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing without sound card SPWAW v6.1 - 8/6/2001 10:09:00 PM   
color

Hi Recently bought the Mega Campaign # 1, and the only computer I have access to that is up to the job (and the disk space) is my work computer. But it has no sound card. :eek: Is there any way of playing SPWaW without a sound card? Anyway why on earth did the Matrix guys put this limitation into the game? :confused: Does not make any sense to me. Color

Post #: 1
- 8/6/2001 10:23:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

The game can't be played without a sound card. I don't know the specifics of why, but that's the way it is!

(in reply to color)
Post #: 2
- 8/7/2001 12:29:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Since we're on sound cards (or the lack of), I seem to remember a topic on Soundblaster Live cards causing problems for running SPWaW. I'm considering a sound card upgrade, so are there other cards that cause problems for the game? I know, this topic properly belongs in the Tech Support area.

(in reply to color)
Post #: 3
- 8/7/2001 1:16:00 AM   
Mumdaan

I posted in the thread about the SBLive problems and the screeching sound problem back around v501 or so. I commented on problems with other gamesand the SBLive as well - so as an update, here's what i know now: I replaced the SBLive x-gamer (in 2 seperate PCs, both of which had sound problems) with SB 512s (available at yer local Wal-mart for about $50us) These cards have almost identical performance specs and support for EAX as the Live cards, but do it in a slightly different manner. Result - NO screeching in SPWAW, no mss32.dll crashes in other games since. I could be wrong (have been many times :) but on my systems it looks like problem solved. ps - i would have tried a turtle beach if they were sold locally but the sb512 worked out great. Mum

(in reply to color)
Post #: 4
- 8/7/2001 1:42:00 AM   
Lars Remmen

Hello, I use the SB512 and get the screeching noise sometimes. Had some trouble getting the card to work with the VIA chipset in my new PC but the latest 4in1 drivers took care of that problem. Also, the SB512 only supports EAX not A3D. Regards, Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to color)
Post #: 5
- 8/7/2001 11:58:00 PM   
AlvinS

I use the SB Value 64 with a Dell PIII 500 and win98 and have no trouble with SPWAW, however,all of my dos versions of SP 1, 2 and 3 have a screeching problem. That same card on an older machine under win95 gave me no trouble with older versions of SP. Maybe its a combination of sound card and OS version. Alvins

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to color)
Post #: 6
- 8/8/2001 12:52:00 AM   
Supervisor

The updated stereo sound files should have cured most if not all problems with SB live sound cards!

(in reply to color)
Post #: 7
- 8/8/2001 5:02:00 AM   
Hot Shot

I have a SB Live value and I don't have any problems with SPWAW in WIN98 and WIN2000, and now with stereo enhancements the sound is perfect :) (I have a Intel BX based mobo)

(in reply to color)
Post #: 8
- 8/8/2001 6:01:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Hot Shot: I have a SB Live value and I don't have any problems with SPWAW in WIN98 and WIN2000, and now with stereo enhancements the sound is perfect :) (I have a Intel BX based mobo)
---------------------------------------------I'm using an SB Live XGamer. If anything, the sound environment files available in this card enhance the hell out the already great SPwaw stereo files. I haven't had a scrap of trouble over the course of many months. I can (for example) emulate a forest sound background over the top of the game sound files. The EAX feature works well too. I really don't know why people have struggled with this card. It has some great features.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to color)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Playing without sound card SPWAW v6.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI