Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

West Front and XP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> West Front and XP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
West Front and XP - 10/28/2003 10:39:52 AM   
Dan Bozza

Tried installing WF on my XP machine, and it tells me I have the wrong version of Windows loaded. According to the Talonsoft website, it should work, especially after installing the patch (which I did). Anyone out there with similar experiences? Les, I know you mentioned you had the game - ever tried installing it to XP? Any help would be appreciated.

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."
Post #: 1
- 10/28/2003 11:30:01 AM   
NefariousKoel

I installed it quite awhile back and it never mentioned 'wrong version of windows'. If that's the case just explore the CD to the setup exe, rt click and change compatibility to win98/ME. Then run the setup exe. The only thing the compatibility mode does it make the program believe it's NOT winNT/2k/XP anyway. Maybe if you installed it again that way??

(in reply to Dan Bozza)
Post #: 2
- 10/30/2003 5:07:25 AM   
KGrob

Hmmmmmm. Ya, I had mega problems with that whole series on XP. I couldn't get any of them to run on XP. West Front, East Front, all those.

I'll look into that suggestion as a possible solution to that problem.

(in reply to Dan Bozza)
Post #: 3
- 10/30/2003 8:50:15 AM   
junk2drive

i had rising sun on my xp 1.2 duron no video card
maybe because it was a newer version or the vid card thing
didnt have to do anything special, even the sound worked

(in reply to Dan Bozza)
Post #: 4
RE: - 2/6/2004 12:17:03 PM   
Firefly

I have the original Rising Sun and had no problems running on my old machine under XP with an Nvidia Geforce card. I didn't try West Front, but none of the old ACW games caused a problem.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 2/7/2004 1:00:09 PM   
ravinhood

Ok This is how I got West Front by Talon Soft to work on XP.
First open the CD of West Front and find the "SETUP ICON" right click on it and under the COMPATIBILITY TAB set it to WIN98. Then close this window and then click on the SETUP ICON, do NOT use AUTO SETUP OR AUTO INSTALL. After the game has installed THEN load the West Front 1.5 PATCH, just unzip it in the directory where you installed West Front. Once the install is done find the West Front.exe ICON (just says West Front and is Army Green with a Star inside the square box) click on it, when you see the EAGLE press your ESC key and it should take you to the scenario/campaign screen. Should work, it did for me. ;)

(in reply to Firefly)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 2/7/2004 6:02:09 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

A current comment, yes I have been able to run it in XP, but as was just mentioned ahead of me, you have to walk through the process, and be aware you might have to do a fiddly custom install. Might depend on your hadware and drivers currenty installed too.

Nothing like changing the hardware and drivers to mess up a previously happy picture eh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 2/14/2004 11:23:32 AM   
Firefly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Nothing like changing the hardware and drivers to mess up a previously happy picture eh.

Very true Les, I've had games work for me on XP that others have problems with and had problems with games in XP that others don't and I suspect it's actually newer device drivers that are causing the problem rather than XP. A good tip with old DOS games, for instance, is to disable the sound in the set-up routine.

Graphics card drivers are so dodgy these days, that the old advice to keep your drivers up to date should be replaced with advice to find a set that works for you and don't update until you have to.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> West Front and XP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote