Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/30/2003 7:30:46 PM   
Caranorn

Just some comments,

Even if we found some screenshots of CWiF1 (Chris), it would not reflect what the finished game would have looked likeIt was always clear that iroved graphics would be created after beta. As to Matrix's CWiF, I expect it's nowhere near showing screenshots.

Coming to combat casualties, WiF would portray something around 30% casualties in a unit as flipping. A bit more casualties would be represented by a S or B (shatter or breakthrough) result. Beyond a certain level of casualties it's simply gone. In the end I'm not sure I'd like a tactical module to CWiF (which is essentialy what we are talking about). If one could be added as an option, I wouldn't mind it I might actually use it at times. But this should not be part of the main goals for the design of CWiF. If it's at all possible it could be introduced with a later patch, or possibly with America and Patton in Flames (assuming those modules won't be part of CWiF itself).

One thing to consider would be making much of the order of battle and other elements modifiable via text files (instead of having to dig through code which limits moddying to programmers). That would allow for some customisation like most WiF players are used to (modding via a text files and/or scripts is easy to learn (at least if a minimum of documentation exists). Graphic files likewise should if possible be either in conventional graphic formats, or the game should ship with an extractor. But all these considerations about moddying should not take precedence over the actual game design and best way to program the game. If customisation would take too many resources or seriously hinder some design features, just leave it out. But if it's no problem, consider including some simple system uderstandable by all.

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: You might find some photoes of the actual game (WiF) on the web. I know the entire countersheets exist as scanned pictures somewhere on the web (last I checked they were up to Leaders in Flames (around which time the WiF CD came out and tere was little use for external files of that type). You should be able to find some tournament pictures too. This also reminds me, one of the areas that will probably see modding (or an option provided by matrix) will be the map graphics. I think quite a few users might prefer old style WiF graphics to the newer ones (mountains were always a big issue iirc), though I myself would probably continue to use the new graphics (they aren't that bad).

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote