Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Design - Help needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenario Design - Help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Design - Help needed - 8/9/2001 9:18:00 PM   
kord

Hi there, I read carefully the "Scenario Design 101" posts, and made my first attempt... Currently, I'm testing my work, but i'm blocked by a major problem. My intent is to scenarize the assault made by british 4th Commando on Varangeville Coastal battery during Dieppe Assault, 19th of november 1942. The scenario is simple: Human player (Brit) has to destroy 6 155mm guns, and evacuate before the german (AI) counterattacks. the problem is to prevent the AI to use the guns for bombarding the assault force. It was historically impossible due to the minimum range of the guns (they were installed for coastal defense). For some (historical) reasons, I need to place an ammo dump near the guns, so the "zero ammo" option doesn't work... I tried to edit the primary weapon, changing it to "Misc weapons", but had the surprise to assist to an artillery barrage done... by "misc Weapons" :confused: Has someone an idea ? Thanks for helping. Kord

Post #: 1
- 8/9/2001 9:37:00 PM   
Warhorse

If it was me, I would remove the weapons altogether, then maybe assign some troops at low strenght to protect them. The problem is, as artillery class, any weapon put in the slots will fire indirect!! All you can do is remove the weapons, as far as I know ;)

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 2
- 8/9/2001 9:48:00 PM   
Mark McIntosh

Actually, I have had success setting ammo to zero in the editor. That way you can keep the units on the map but they are now impotent. Regards, Mark

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 3
- 8/9/2001 9:52:00 PM   
kord

Hello Warhorse, [Suppress weapons] In fact I just tried that, using WaWEd, but I probably didn't manage to do it correctly. When I suppress the Weapon1, placing "0" value using the editor, evering goes well. I mean the editor says "None" in #1 Weapon slot. But after re-loading the scenario, I found that the system had automatically placed weapons again ("Walter P38" on some units, "20mm AA" on others) in slot #1 for all the 6 guns. The question is : is it "normal" or did I do something wrong ??? I remember reading on the forum that there was a special weapon code for an empty slot. Is "0" the right one ? Thanks again, Kord.

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 4
- 8/9/2001 9:58:00 PM   
kord

Mark: Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it and for unknown reasons it doesn't seem to work. The fact is that I've put some Ammo Dump in adjacent hexes. I've a good reason to do that, because historically the battery was quite easily seized by N°4 Commando due to a lucky 2" mortar shot on an ammo storage... If nothing else works, I'll apply your suggestion and remove the Ammo dumps. Kord.

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 5
- 8/9/2001 10:07:00 PM   
TheZel66

I was able to remove all guns from gun emplacements for a similar type scenario I made, German Assault on Langdon Battery, July 1940- hypothetical Sea Lion scenario. It worked fine.. Also, try removing all ammo from the guns. If you need an ammo dump located nearby, try not to place it adjacent to the hex with the emplacement.

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 6
- 8/9/2001 10:10:00 PM   
TheZel66

Destroying an ammo dump wont have any affect on adjecent hexes- correct me if I'm wrong. So placing them their wont help you anyway. I'd get rid of the ammo dumps

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 7
- 8/9/2001 10:21:00 PM   
kord

Ok Folks, Thanks for all the ideas... I'll do some night work to finish the job. Hope to propose it for testing in the next few days. Best regards, Kord

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 8
- 8/11/2001 12:41:00 AM   
Fabs

Kord, I hope you'll publish your finished work, it sounds interesting!

Fabs

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 9
- 8/11/2001 12:49:00 AM   
Wild Bill

It can be done without removing the guns Kord. What version of SPWAW do you have? There are a number of ways to do it. If you wish, send your scenario and I'll take a look. mainly the ammo dump does not really have to be adjacent. One hex between them will do the job and keep the dump within a 100 yards of the guns. That is the simplest fix. Then set ammo to 0 and it won't change. I can't imagine a huge ammo dump sitting right next to the guns anyway. Nearby yes, but not right at them. That might not be healthy with counterbattery fire. I certainly would not want to man a big gun with extra ammo in my lap :eek: ...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 10
- 8/13/2001 3:44:00 PM   
kord

Hi there ! Fabs: I'll propose it for testing this week. Thanks for your interest. WB: I'm playing V6.1, and effectively I managed to solve my problem without removing the guns. I instead removed the ammo dumps. You're right, an ammo dump next to the big guns is not very "academic", an I too would not man such a gun. But apparently, the servants of the german battery had just done that.
A lucky 2" mortar shot gave the Commando a good help during the assault (The german HQ assumed that the explosion was due to an air attack) In fact, one lesson taught to the Corps Headquarters, LXXXI Army Corps, is resumed in his Combat Report from 25 August 1942 : "b. Storage. Based on information available so far, it is necessary to store ammunition in concrete or reinforced dumps. Such dumps must be dispersed to protect them against enemy air attacks with incendiary bombs." Source: CMHQ at
www.dnd.ca Thanks both for your help and support, Kord

(in reply to kord)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenario Design - Help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI