Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question for Paul Vebber...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Question for Paul Vebber... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question for Paul Vebber... - 8/11/2001 10:50:00 AM   
ddoutel

Anybody else noticing that the screen goes blank sometimes? It's random, no real pattern to it. I find that it will come back when something gets written to the screen, like an opfire confirm, to which you have to respond. Once I make the response, the screen repaints. I can also coerce it to come back by Alt-tabbing out and then in again. So it looks like any action which forces a full or partial screen repaint brings it back. I've seen this in every version of SPWAW since 5.01, the first I had. It's really just a minor annoyance, not a major issue, since it doesn't crash out or force you to kill the program; the game keeps playing. I'm running Win2K Pro, SP3 with a Voodoo 3000 PCI card. Any ideas? Thanks, HerrBaron

Post #: 1
- 8/11/2001 11:12:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by HerrBaron: Anybody else noticing that the screen goes blank sometimes? It's random, no real pattern to it. I find that it will come back when something gets written to the screen, like an opfire confirm, to which you have to respond. Once I make the response, the screen repaints. I can also coerce it to come back by Alt-tabbing out and then in again. So it looks like any action which forces a full or partial screen repaint brings it back. I've seen this in every version of SPWAW since 5.01, the first I had. It's really just a minor annoyance, not a major issue, since it doesn't crash out or force you to kill the program; the game keeps playing. I'm running Win2K Pro, SP3 with a Voodoo 3000 PCI card. Any ideas? Thanks, HerrBaron
I have a voodoo 3 3000 agp with win98se, so my experiance may be somewhat close. I play a lot of halflife ctf, and was about to give up the card for all the problems that showed up after I bought the voodoo. I had all sorts of lockups and screen crashes using the drivers that came with the card on the install cd. After I went to 3dfx's website and got newer drivers all my video problems went away. The video has been stable since then, though I have a pause while booting and screen resizing is accompanied with a sizzling sound like an electrical zap. With the demise of 3dfx, you might find new stable drivers harder to find, but give that a shot first. thanks, John.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 2
- 8/11/2001 11:22:00 AM   
Huffy

Hey guys....now you got me worried...I invested in the Voodoo5 5500...and I've been having problems with my mega camp cd..hmmm....maybe I'll put a post on the forum. thanks guys.. Huffy

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 3
- 8/11/2001 11:27:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by john g: I have a voodoo 3 3000 agp with win98se, so my experiance may be somewhat close. I play a lot of halflife ctf, and was about to give up the card for all the problems that showed up after I bought the voodoo. I had all sorts of lockups and screen crashes using the drivers that came with the card on the install cd. After I went to 3dfx's website and got newer drivers all my video problems went away. The video has been stable since then, though I have a pause while booting and screen resizing is accompanied with a sizzling sound like an electrical zap. With the demise of 3dfx, you might find new stable drivers harder to find, but give that a shot first. thanks, John.
The Voodoo drivers I've used under Win98 were indeed problematic, but I have the latest for Win2K, also play halflife etc, and have had no problems with it. I'm not really sure what to make of it. What's that about the demise of 3dfx? Something I've missed in the trade rags? Regards, HerrBaron

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 4
- 8/11/2001 11:33:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by john g: I have a voodoo 3 3000 agp with win98se, so my experiance may be somewhat close. I play a lot of halflife ctf, and was about to give up the card for all the problems that showed up after I bought the voodoo. I had all sorts of lockups and screen crashes using the drivers that came with the card on the install cd. After I went to 3dfx's website and got newer drivers all my video problems went away. The video has been stable since then, though I have a pause while booting and screen resizing is accompanied with a sizzling sound like an electrical zap. With the demise of 3dfx, you might find new stable drivers harder to find, but give that a shot first. thanks, John.
BTW, if the sizzling and resizing are happening during or immediately after the machine POST's, it's most likely the power supply in the monitor getting ready to quit on you; I've had this happen to me with a (I forget the brand, but it had a sticker on the front with penguins on it). I ended up having to ship it back to the manufacturer for a replacement. Good luck with it yourself, John...! Duane

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 5
- 8/11/2001 11:36:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by Huffy: Hey guys....now you got me worried...I invested in the Voodoo5 5500...and I've been having problems with my mega camp cd..hmmm....maybe I'll put a post on the forum. thanks guys.. Huffy
Huffy, I'd only worry if John G. responds to my last post with some really alarming news about 3dfx, i.e. it doesn't exist anymore (I haven't heard this.) As already stated, I've had no probs with mine under Win2K Pro... HerrBaron

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 6
- 8/11/2001 7:07:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by HerrBaron: Huffy, I'd only worry if John G. responds to my last post with some really alarming news about 3dfx, i.e. it doesn't exist anymore (I haven't heard this.) As already stated, I've had no probs with mine under Win2K Pro... HerrBaron
If you check the 3dfx web page, at http://www.3dfx.com there is a message that 3dfx is calling it quits and selling their assets to nVidia. I'm sad to see them go, their products were always more stable than nVidia's, even if they were less cutting edge. thanks, John.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 7
- 8/11/2001 7:34:00 PM   
Charles2222

This problem has existed for quite a while, and it's really not too much of a bother. I'm not sure, as I can't say it worked all the time, but when I know I'm fixing to switch from another window to SPWAW (assuming SPWAW is up), I will on occassion get my mouse running in circles and have it continue to do that until I get the SPWAW window, which seems to give me a lower incidence of the blackout occurring. I can't remember my videocard's name, but it's a popular one which I haven't seen mentioned here.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 8
- 8/11/2001 11:48:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

As far as we know its just a weird thing about certain video cards and background apps. IT happens to me on my GeForce ocasionally, but moving the mouse, clicking a button to refresh the screen or alt-tabbing in and out always fixes it.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 9
- 8/12/2001 12:29:00 AM   
KG Erwin

All these sound/video card problems with SPWaW are starting to make me leery about uprading either. My system (bought in Feb 99) came with the now unsupported Mpact 2 Media Processor and a Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI sound card. Hell, even the company I bought the PC from (Quantex) has since folded. I had a difficult time finding updated drivers for either product, but I did, and SPWaW and all my other games work fine. However, I do want to upgrade sooner or later. We need a central location/forum thread for all the sound/video problems that new cards may have with the games.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 10
- 8/12/2001 1:01:00 AM   
ddoutel

Ah, so I'm not alone! That's all I wanted to know. As noted my me and others, it's not a serious problem; forcing a screen repaint returns the screen to normal. I just wanted to make sure others had seen it, that it wasn't must me. John G., I'll check out that article you posted the link to; I also will miss 3dfx; hate to see any competition go away, and you're right, nVidia isn't my idea of great hardware/drivers. Thanks Guys! HerrBaron

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 11
- 8/12/2001 1:06:00 AM   
Mumdaan

The 3dfx buyout by Nvidia happened months ago.. before the GF3 launch even. I still run a voodoo5 5500 in one pc (Win98se) and there is a good DX8 compliant driver (1.04 - i get all my vid drivers from gamers-ammo.com) It has no problems at all with SPWAW The only reservation i have with the V5 is something i just read.. "The Voodoo5 AGP will not work in a Pentium 4 system. The Voodoo5 lacks the "universal" or 1.5 volt AGP key so that it does not phyiscally fit into a Pentium 4 AGP slot. All Voodoo5 cards require a 3.3 voltage key and Pentium 4 only supports 1.5 volts in it's core logic. All Voodoo4 cards will work just fine in Pentium 4 systems. There was a miscommunication between 3dfx and Intel regarding i850 requirements and voltage issues that never got addressed before Voodoo5 launched." -Mum

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 12
- 8/12/2001 9:11:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: As far as we know its just a weird thing about certain video cards and background apps. IT happens to me on my GeForce ocasionally, but moving the mouse, clicking a button to refresh the screen or alt-tabbing in and out always fixes it.
Thanks Paul! I just noticed that you were here; I must have missed your post during the quick scan I made this morning! Regards, Duane

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Question for Paul Vebber... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI