Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v6.1: how is TCP/IP?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> v6.1: how is TCP/IP? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v6.1: how is TCP/IP? - 8/12/2001 2:08:00 AM   
Kharan

Yesterday I played my first online games since v4.5 and had some problems. First of all, the retreat and reinforcement hexes were on the wrong sides of the map (custom map in a generated battle) which made units retreat in the wrong direction and reinforcements appear in the wrong place, but that's not necessarily an online only issue. Secondly, my planes generally ignored the entry directions (I was player 2, so they might have been using player 1's settings). I thought that had been fixed at some point? On the second battle (a different custom map in a generated battle), victory hexes were only visible for player 2. Are these things common in v6.1? ---------------------------------------- SPWAW Bug Repository [ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: Kharan ]

Post #: 1
- 8/12/2001 2:53:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

No, not common THere are some tricks to using sustom maps since the retreat and reinforcement hexes are not saved with the map, but the V hexes are, you have to check that they are on the right side before you start, other wise you have to flop players one and two, since ther battle genrator has "preferred sides" for different countries in different years that the map doesn't necessarily know. Where you selecting the entry hexes before selecting teh target hex and then the plane. It is possible that it may not sent to all teh players, keeping the games in synch if there is a poor connection can be a problem in any onliune game. THere are are latency problems that sometimes occur. THis can casue odd things like teh V-hexes going off. One player saving and sending the save to the other players and restarting will solve most latency problems.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 2
- 8/12/2001 3:03:00 AM   
Redleg

Never assume that a custom map will work unless: For ISP and PBEM: 1. Load it into the editor, set the countries, dates, start lines, weather, etc. 2. Go to map editor and set the reinforcement and retreat hexes. 3. If there is deep water on either side of the map, reinforcements won't work and may crash the game if F9 is punched. 4. Save your map and generate the battle. 5. After you purchase, save the battle and... 6. Open the file up as the other side and purchase 2-3 units. 7. Go to deploy and see how things look as far as v-hexes, retreat hexes, reinforcement hexes.... 8. If all is well, send the battle to your opponent. If not, it is necessary to go back and re-do it. This is a bit of a pain but less than getting through the purchase/deploy phases and then finding out that troops are retreating the wrong way or there are no reinforcement hexes. I haven't been able to find an easier way.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 3
- 8/12/2001 3:32:00 AM   
Reiryc

Speaking of tcp/ip....whats goin on with combat net? I cant seem to connect to the server...any ideas on what the problem could be? Reiryc

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 4
- 8/12/2001 3:46:00 AM   
Kharan

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: you have to check that they are on the right side before you start, other wise you have to flop players one and two, since ther battle genrator has "preferred sides" for different countries in different years that the map doesn't necessarily know.
Yeah, now I get it. In the battle US was on the east side and Germany on the west, so the R hexes were misplaced because the battle generator is programmed to have US in the west and Germany in the east.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 5
- 8/12/2001 6:01:00 AM   
Alby

As far as I can tell, the air entry thing was fixed in 5.0 but is back again now, The air entry/exit seems random to me. You cannot control the directions once again as it was pre 5.0

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 6
- 8/12/2001 8:23:00 AM   
Alby

Oh I just re read what paul said..
setting The air entry direction first is a no no???
Hmmm and that other alby in the above post is me, WTH?? do do do do (twilight zone) [ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 7
- 8/12/2001 10:12:00 AM   
David Heath

I will be releasing a new Combat Net Build over the weekend.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 8
- 8/13/2001 2:42:00 AM   
Reiryc

Good to hear.... Im looking forward to the new combat net release, thanks =) Reiryc

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 9
- 8/13/2001 2:48:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: Oh I just re read what paul said.. setting The air entry direction first is a no no???
I believe it's the other way around. Setting target hex first is a biiig no no. If not entry and exit directions are set first, they will not take effect during the current assignment. I think what Paul was saying is that there might be some synchronization problems in IP play. (right?)

Got StuG?

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 10
- 8/13/2001 6:44:00 AM   
Alby

I dont know, it seemed fixed in 5.0
now its back, setting the air entry and exit first sure didnt work

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 11
- 8/13/2001 7:34:00 AM   
Kharan

I was setting the air entry and exit directions before the target, like I always do. But the weird things was, the planes appeared to be coming from totally random directions, not from the default opposite edge of the map like they would have if the game was using my opponent's setting (he didn't have planes).

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 12
- 8/14/2001 12:47:00 AM   
Reiryc

Still planning to release a new version of combat net? =) Reiryc

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 13
- 8/14/2001 7:16:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Kharan:
I was setting the air entry and exit directions before the target, like I always do. But the weird things was, the planes appeared to be coming from totally random directions, not from the default opposite edge of the map like they would have if the game was using my opponent's setting (he didn't have planes).
Yes i believe your right
pre 5.0 it seemed the planes were using the other players directions, now they just seem to come in from where ever they want.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> v6.1: how is TCP/IP? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI