Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Question that dare not speak its name...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Question that dare not speak its name... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Question that dare not speak its name... - 8/15/2001 11:58:00 PM   
Grumble

Any guesstimate on when v7 will hit the infobahn?
A WAG is fine by me.
thanks,

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel
Post #: 1
- 8/16/2001 12:40:00 AM   
Dan Bozza

WAG??

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 2
- 8/16/2001 12:45:00 AM   
Grumble

WAG, militaryspeak for "Wild-Ass Guess". There's also TLAR "That Looks About Right". Both are essential concepts in any military operation.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 3
- 8/16/2001 12:46:00 AM   
dfsrusa

quote:

Originally posted by Boz:
WAG??
WAG = Wild Ass Guess
variant
SWAG = Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess My SWAG for the release of V7 and Mega Campaign Lost Victories is September 26, 2001. Scot Stephenson

Carpe Diem

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 4
- 8/16/2001 12:57:00 AM   
Dan Bozza

Thanks - two more entries for my compilation of Netspeak acronyms.

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 5
- 8/16/2001 3:48:00 AM   
gdpsnake

Don't forget BOHICA, DILLIGAS and FIGMO!

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 6
- 8/16/2001 3:56:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Really these are "Milspeak-isms" not Netspeak-isms Can't forget FUBAR or the brevity Code words CHARLIE FOXTROT and TANGO UNIFORM

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 7
- 8/16/2001 7:43:00 AM   
Bing

HOTEL SIERRA, fellas. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 8
- 8/16/2001 7:51:00 AM   
SAMWolf

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
Really these are "Milspeak-isms" not Netspeak-isms Can't forget FUBAR or the brevity Code words CHARLIE FOXTROT and TANGO UNIFORM

Remember "Get your Hotel out of your Alpha"

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 9
- 8/16/2001 12:08:00 PM   
Randy

I remember my platoon in OCS getting yelled at because we knew more about BOHICA, DILIGAS, and
WAFWOT instead of our General Orders and other Marine Corps terminology! That ended real quick!!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 10
- 8/16/2001 12:31:00 PM   
sinner

All this sounds great, but... what does it means? Being not english-speaker, I do not get it. Any help will be appreciated

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 11
- 8/16/2001 2:59:00 PM   
kord

I'm not too an english speaker, but here is the only one I can make A SWAG at CHARLIE FOXTROT (CF) : Cluster Fork (sp) !!!
(Sorry I could not resist...) I too would be interested in knowing what the else mean, and would add "SNAFU" to the list Kord [ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 12
- 8/16/2001 4:32:00 PM   
Bing

Well, pilots will know that HOTEL SIERRA means "Hot Spit" - I didn't have the nerve, obviously. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 13
- 8/16/2001 5:16:00 PM   
DELTA32

Hey guys....the Milspeak is fine to discuss but, how's about getting back to the original question ? When might the troops see v7.0 ? Delta 3-2
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men are willing to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 14
- 8/16/2001 8:17:00 PM   
waynef

Yes, Yes.. when is v7 available? SNAFU = Situation Normal, All F'cked Up
FUBAR = F'cked Up Beyond All Recognition
JAFO = Just Another F'cking Observer
SWAG = Scientific Wild A$$ Guess Whats the over/under on v7 release? I say Sept 15th! Ready before 9/15 or after?

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 15
- 8/16/2001 9:22:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

We are hoping for Labor Day. (Give or take a week)
It will be released with the Lost Victories MC. [ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 16
- 8/16/2001 9:55:00 PM   
Grumble

Thanks for the update.
BTW it's "SH*& Hot" "Sierra Hotel".
"Flexibility is the key to tactical aipower. Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Beer is the key to indecision."

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 17
- 8/16/2001 10:49:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Is it a moronic question to ask if MC Lost Victories will have version 7.0 included on the disk? As it currently stands I havent the slightest idea what I will request for christmas this year. (yes I said christmas).
I held off buying the first MC disk because I am the sort that never buys the first version of anything really. But maybe I will indulge myself this time. Combine getting a burned copy of 7.0 and enjoy he fruits of all Matrixs learning on the first cd. One last question though. How will a person handle the purchase sans credit card? I dont own one now nor will one be allowed in my future (evil things anyway). Can anyone give me the particulars to handle a cash deal for a Canadian in Ontario (please include all conversions, postage, handling, cross border concerns as I hate surprises).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 18
- 8/16/2001 11:13:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Yes it will have v7. There is a 1-800 number you can call to order and use MO or electronically certified personal check to pay. Check the store website for details.

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 19
- 8/17/2001 2:05:00 AM   
Banjo

Les, I refuse to get another credit card after I paid off mine, and cut them up. But I did get a debit card. That way I spend only the money that I have in the account. Just like an ATM card that I use to pay some bills and for some online and store purchases. I figured you know about them, but thought I'd put my two cents in anyway.

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 20
- 8/17/2001 4:26:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by Grumble:
Thanks for the update.
BTW it's "SH*& Hot" "Sierra Hotel".
"Flexibility is the key to tactical aipower. Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Beer is the key to indecision."

I stand corrected - actually, I will sit down if it is all right with everyone. My feet hurt. SIERRA HOTEL!! Bing

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 21
- 8/17/2001 5:27:00 AM   
Truckeye

KISS for the FNG

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 22
- 8/17/2001 6:01:00 AM   
Grumble

FNGs are almost always WD's, who come up with LD ideas....

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 23
- 8/17/2001 6:03:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Classic example of MilSpeak gone awry
(Scene: a wartime RAF station) Jones: Morning, Squadron Leader. Idle: What-ho, Squiffy. Jones: How was it? Idle: Top-hole. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie. Jones: Bally Jerry? Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, Squadron Leader. Idle: It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry, pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father; hairy blighter, dicky-birded, feathered back on his sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie! Jones: No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower. Idle: Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy. Jones: Hold on then -- Wingco! -- just bend an ear to the Squadron Leader's banter for a sec, would you? Chapman: Can do. Jones: Jolly good. Fire away. Idle: Bally Jerry... (he goes through it all again) Chapman: No, I don't understand that banter at all. Idle: Something up with my banter, chaps? AIR RAID SIRENS (Enter Palin, out of breath) Palin: Bunch of monkeys on the ceiling, sir! Grab your egg-and-fours and let's get the bacon delivered! Chapman (to Idle): Do *you* understand that? Idle: No -- I didn't get a word of it. Chapman: Sorry, old man, we don't understand your banter. Palin: You know -- bally tenpenny ones dropping in the custard! (no reaction) Palin: Um -- Charlie choppers chucking a handful? Chapman: No no -- sorry. Jones: Say it slower, old chap. Palin: Slower *banter*, sir? Chapman: Ra-ther. Palin: Um -- sausage squad up the blue end? Idle: No, still don't get it. Palin: Um -- cabbage crates coming over the briny? The others: No, no, no!. (Film of air-raid) Idle (voice-over): But by then it was too late. The first cabbage crates hit London on July the 7th. That was just the beginning. (Chapman seen sitting at desk, on telephone) Chapman: Five shillings a dozen? That's ordinary cabbages, is it? And what about the bombs?... Good Lord, they _are_ expensive.

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 24
- 8/17/2001 1:19:00 PM   
Randy

Paul, I asked this question once before but I forgot where I put it, but will V7 have additional new scenarios? Thanks. Also for those who don't know:
DILLIGAS-Does It Look Like I Give A Sh**
BOHICA-Bend Over Here It Comes Again
WAFWOT-What A F**ing Waste Of Time
Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
Randy

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 25
- 8/17/2001 8:17:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Thanks Paul Good chance I will be investigating orders in the future then potentially. Oh and Banjo thanks hadnt thought of debit card. Alas I am disabled (read not allowed to own plastic on my government monitored stable income). Oh well they pay my bills so like who wants to whine.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 26
- 8/17/2001 8:25:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

No scenarios this time, just the exe and OOBs, not sure what else. The 1-800 number is hidden on the "policies" page down near the bottom 1-888-280-7782.

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 27
- 8/18/2001 1:28:00 PM   
Randy

Thanks Paul. At least this time I knew where I put
the question. Thanks again.

Semper Fi
Randy

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 28
- 8/18/2001 11:46:00 PM   
gdpsnake

Hmmmm,
Randy, I suspect you are/were a marine. Of course, I'd have to walk into a bar with a bucket of sand, toss it and yell "Hit the Beach" to be sure you're "True Bullit Fodder Material."
Grumble, I suspect you are Army? That's okay. At least it's not Navy!
Bing, I sense a kindred spirit perhaps? USAF? We know the true tip of the spear is Tactical Air Power.
Have I thrown a gauntlet or what?
An Air Force and Navy guy are in a bar restroom relieving some of the evenings alcoholic consuption. The Navy guy finishes, washes his hands and starts to dry. The Air Force guy starts walking out the restroom.
The Navy man starts laughing and says "In the Navy we wash our hands after taking a piss!"
The Air Force guy stops and replies, "In the Air Force we teach men not to piss on their hands."

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 29
- 8/19/2001 12:09:00 AM   
Bing

No, I was Army of the US of A. Was a propeller head for a time, did a couple of reviews for the old TGN website. One of my closest friends is a retired RCAF flight instructor, so I picked up on all kinds of stuff from him - as you might imagine he was a lot of help when learning and reviewing flight sims. Got tired of crashing, decided to get back with the grunts. But my Dad was a Marine - China Marine matter of fact. Without exaggeration, I can say I was brought up as Marine. At age ten I was required to stand at attention and sing ALL the verses of the Marine Hymn, upon demand. Bing

(in reply to Grumble)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Question that dare not speak its name... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI