Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AO unit. How close is too close?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> AO unit. How close is too close? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AO unit. How close is too close? - 9/1/2003 9:17:24 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

Hello all,

I am interested in your views on where you position the AO unit.

I understand that you don't want to put it in harms way but it does give a moral/rally advantage. How closes to the front line is too close (and this goes for company comanders too) ?

If your name is [B]Mother[/B] please do not read on. I tend to have the A0 close to the action. All it takes is a few small mistakes / luck from the enemy and suddenly no more AO. I have lost the AO on several occasions to this.

[B]Is the AO that important that you don't wont it at the front to assist?[/B]

Klinkenhoffen

It's all gone horribly wrong !
Post #: 1
In the rear with the gear ... - 9/1/2003 1:05:44 PM   
stevemk1a

I always place my A0 (with one FO adjacent) somewhere cozy and safe, but not too far from any onboard arty ... I would also be interested to hear other views on A0 placement, I tend to be very protective of this unit and usually have some forces set aside for mobile rear security positioned near the A0. It would be interesting to hear about other player's usage of the 'Head shed' ... can anyone make an argument for more aggressive use of the HQ unit?

(in reply to Klinkenhoffen)
Post #: 2
- 9/1/2003 3:50:47 PM   
El_Peco

I agree with Willy, my HQ and my FO, are always in the back of my formations.
Usually they have not firepower to support other units and above all the loss of HQ costs 200 points!
Instead for company commanders I try to put them back others company platoons, but ready to support an engage when it is needed.

Regards.

Post #: 3
- 9/2/2003 9:21:24 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

Side steping from the main topic, wouldn't you rather have your forward observer up front with the troops to call in the arty? FO 's give a quicker responce and do the spotting for better targetting.

It's all gone horribly wrong !

Post #: 4
- 9/2/2003 10:53:56 PM   
peter hellman

Good answers here already. I also choose to have a fast transport available for the AO, and one of the FO's near.

If I have a reserve, as I almost always has (and it'd rather be a mobile one), I have the AO to ride along with it. The reserve also provides for security for the AO, unless the reserve is placed very near the front in the beginning of the game.

I try to use the company commanders for rallying, but also sometimes bring up the AO to boost the process.

And NEVER leave the AO all by himself, and not in the most obvious terrain for partisans to pop up either. And turn the weapons range to 0, but not off.

That's how I do it.

"If you want to live in peace, you have to prepare for war" - Adolf Ehrnrooth

Post #: 5
- 11/11/2003 12:24:53 PM   
Wolfleader

I usually keep my AO fairly close to the front lines where my forces are but always in some form of cover (behind buildings, hills, inside forests, etc...) and always have a fast vehicle nearby for quick escapes.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> AO unit. How close is too close? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI