Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this game ever going to ship

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Is this game ever going to ship Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this game ever going to ship - 11/11/2003 12:35:08 PM   
zoomie1

Been losely following this site for two years. Last time I visited the ship date was slipped back to Nov 2003. Well it's November and Matrix doesn't even list it in it's pre-order catalog! Time to throw this thing on the wall and see if it sticks!
Post #: 1
No hurry, I can wait - 11/11/2003 3:08:38 PM   
mapr

Waiting a bit is not problem for me, don't know about others. Single game lasts atleast a year, maybe two. Starting date for a game doesn't matter much in long run. And I have UV :)

(in reply to zoomie1)
Post #: 2
- 11/11/2003 9:32:33 PM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

Hope it is shipped at some point, as three years of my income depends on it. We had hoped to release around November or December 2003. We received a goodly number of feature request from the play testers and this forum, which has delayed release.

We are almost done with the alpha version, at which point we will have all the basic features included and will add the new art. We are fixing bugs as we find them and a game this complex does generate a lot of bugs.

Once we have the beta version available, we will play complete campaigns to look at play balance, find bugs, test victory conditions and the like, make sure the economic system feels right to the play testers and insure the game has a polished look to it.

Gary has spent almost the entire two and a half years writing artificial intelligence and developing the economic system. Keith and I have been adding many user requested features. Our scenario authors have working hard and getting further behind, as we external data that was hard coded and allow the scenario designer to enter the data.

Joel thinks we might be done in some months, the exact number of which he is not certain. Gary and I think maybe March or April. Exactly when will be determined by how many bugs we find in beta, how much rebalancing we have to do and how many more features the testers feel the game must have.

Thanks for Your interest...

Michael Wood
[QUOTE=zoomie1]Been losely following this site for two years. Last time I visited the ship date was slipped back to Nov 2003. Well it's November and Matrix doesn't even list it in it's pre-order catalog! Time to throw this thing on the wall and see if it sticks![/QUOTE]

(in reply to zoomie1)
Post #: 3
RE: - 2/9/2004 1:26:22 AM   
kaleun

May or April!! Goody Goody (jump around in glee)

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 1:34:04 AM   
pasternakski

You'd better take a look at the date of Mike's post (11/11/03). The latest I have seen from Matrix staff is that this game will not likely see the light of day in the first half of 2004. My guess is that we will be lucky to see it before the end of the year.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 1:45:54 AM   
madflava13

No worries, I can wait. I've been waiting ever since Pacwar was released - what's that, over a decade now? A few months to another year doesn't bother me because I can die happy when WitP is released.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 5:29:24 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

You'd better take a look at the date of Mike's post (11/11/03). The latest I have seen from Matrix staff is that this game will not likely see the light of day in the first half of 2004. My guess is that we will be lucky to see it before the end of the year.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Mike was speaking like a programmer back in November (good ones are usually overconfident in their scheduling). At that time I was shooting to go truely beta in March and to ship 2-4 monts after that. So far we are on track for that. I think we will reach a good Beta sometime in March. After that, it's really just a matter of bugs and when we think we're ready for prime time. Beta to final in my years at SSI was usually a 2-3 month cycle. I don't expect to see WitP in stores, so there's no need to call a specific date months from release. This is a good thing as I've seen games that have shipped due to a street date being set and the need to meet that date based on business factors like pre-arranged propmotions and advertising. We don't know for sure when the game will ship, but we on the team are working hard toward being done with our part by June.

Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 6:17:51 AM   
pasternakski

Take your time, my friend. I would much rather wait a year or more for a polished product than wade through these forums arguing the merits of various amendments and "bug" fixes.

Of course, you could spend another decade on this design and still get those. "Where is the 252nd Mess Kit Repair Battalion?" "Couldn't the B-29 crews have dropped acid instead of incendiaries, landed at Tokyo International, and won over the Japanese population with peace-love-dove Aquarian Age philosophy instead of turning them into Crispy Critters?"

You know.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 6:31:45 AM   
pad152

A game like Witp only comes around ever 10yrs or so take the time and do it right. Glad to see a lot of the SSI old timers seem to found a home at Matrix besides I still have my Apple II copy of Computer Bismark

Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 7:01:28 AM   
stretch

quote:

A game like Witp only comes around ever 10yrs or so take the time and do it right.

Sadly I think that's conservative.... given how PC's have thrived over the 11 years since Pacific War was released in 1993 (Hope I have the year right) and that only now, thanks to a company as unlikely to exist as Matrix Games, which has risen like a phoenix from the ashes of computer strategic wargaming, do we hope to see its successor 11 years later... I think we all are lucky to even be contemplating that WiTP will exist in any form. We may never see another attempt in our lifetimes to better the product that will be created here. I, as everyone else here surely is, will be eternally grateful.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 1:16:06 PM   
nico71

So can I take it that it's not too late for me to learn and play PacWar?

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 5:24:47 PM   
soeren

quote:

So can I take it that it's not too late for me to learn and play PacWar?

For that it is never to late.

(in reply to nico71)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 2/9/2004 5:46:51 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

...because I can die happy when WitP is released.

Careful - people have died the day after they had won big money in lotto. Would be a pity to suffer through all this past months of anticipation and then to die when firing up WitP the first time - from overexitement, shock over the sheer scale or because the computer will not run the game at all...

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 2/10/2004 4:39:25 AM   
mbatch729

One of the posts I had that vanised was trying to organize an anchor, or ship date, pool. Navy tradition after a long deployment was to bet on the date and time of dropping anchor when returning to home port. So, what's everyone's guess for ship date? I'm taking September 7, 2004.

P.S. I am in no way associated w/Matrix other than as a very happy customer. This is all in fun.

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 2/10/2004 5:18:41 AM   
Zeta16

I say July 7th, 2004

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 2/10/2004 5:28:42 AM   
Nomad

I'll go for August 15, 2004.

(in reply to mbatch729)
Post #: 16
Re: - 2/10/2004 9:34:53 AM   
Harald1050

Servus!

I read this post at the World at War-forum:
"...but we're hoping to be beta sometime in the next 2-4 months. We are committed to trying to get War in the Pacific to beta next month and get it out by early summer..."

Early summer, so i take, hmmm, 15th of June.

Gruß
Harald

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 17
RE: Re: - 2/10/2004 10:36:43 PM   
BB57

A birthday present would be nice. 15 May 2004

(in reply to Harald1050)
Post #: 18
RE: Re: - 2/10/2004 11:48:21 PM   
madflava13

August 8th, 2004. I think the correct guess should get WiTP free... Any takers at Matrix?

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 19
Midway - 2/11/2004 1:36:15 AM   
ckk

It must have been said before, but how about June 4th?

Chuck

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Is this game ever going to ship Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI