Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

To Wild Bill and the MC:WT team

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> To Wild Bill and the MC:WT team Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To Wild Bill and the MC:WT team - 11/12/2003 1:56:35 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I purchased all of the MC's one day last year and I will admit I never gave WT its proper amount of playing thing

But I am trying to remedy that now
And I must say...WT is now my favorite MC

I started out by selecing the Tulagi-Gavutu option
I couldnt of asked for a better intro to the MC
I stormed onto Tulagi in the face of bitter mortar and machine gun fired and managed to sweep the area clear (those USMC paratroopers are a group of badass's) and won a DV (those naval guns really help)
The next battle I crossed the causeway onto Gavutu and ran into a bit more trouble their
I only scored a Draw because I landed the troops on the northern shore way too late into the battle...I also didnt take full advantage of those 75's even thought they had near endless ammo thanks to the ammo dumps
To tell you how intense that fight was....I used ALL the ammo from 4 outa 6 of my M3 tanks Mg's and the other 2 had ammo left under 5

The next battle they finally put me on the big island where I had to clear the flanks of the division to the edge of Henderson field
Fighting up that trail next to the mixed brush and the fighting in the cocunut field (vision was limited to one in the cocunut farm :eek: ) was very heavy
I destroyed every unit on the map but took such heavy losses I got a MV
Through stupidity and a lucky AT rifle shot I lost both my M3's and both tanks so that hurt me alot
Again I used every mortar shell I had (arty is a godsend in this MC)
Next I decided to play the part that Intel Lt. and Lead the prisoner to negotiate a surrender at the mouth of the Mantanikau river
This was a good map and a well thougt out battle...but I felt you could (or whoever the designer was) could of done a little better job in explaing how to use those transports
I didnt know that those Higgins boats could only hold one unit...so I wasted an entire turn figuring that out
As such I only got about 25% of my units off the map (I did get the HQ off which was 1500 points)
I did however only take 11 casulties and dished out over 70 on the Japanese so I did get a MV
But due to my lack of understanding of the tranports I lost a chance at a DV
I think whenever you make a special scenario such as this you need to explain how to use the speical units in the scenario
The battle im currently on is the USMC raider scenario in the solemons (although I wish I could of played all the options...they all look fun)
My units are still in the assault boats and I cant wait to put them ashore
Mogami made a nice looking map for this scenario

In case you havnt noticed im having a very fun time playing this MC
You made me feel actual empathy for those Marines on the island...I think if you can make the player feel as if they are a part of the battle then you have achieved the pinnacle of scenario design
The pictures and documentation are all excellent and I have greatly enjoyed all of the reading you and the team have provided for us
I didnt know much about the battle before hand but you have made me put several books on Guadalcanal on my Christmas list
I also apprechiate the small things now
Like M3 tanks...60mm mortars and .30 cal machine guns
I actually feel joy now when I see things like 75mm howitzers are going to be given to me, I would pay their weight in gold however if I could get a battery of 105's :D
What is all comes down to is, is that im greatly enjoying the MC so much I wanted to write and tell you and the rest of the board how amazing of an experience it is

Now if you will all excuse me Cap. Dobbs and his company have an island to take over

P.S.
I renamed one of the platoon leaders after myself and its great fun pretending like im their
I cant wait for CL to come out and you to make a MC for it as well

Thanks for taking the time to make this and show the sacrifices the USMC made on that island

Post #: 1
- 11/12/2003 5:09:37 AM   
Procrustes

Yah, what he said! WT is my favorite MC, though I have truely enjoyed them all and am axiously waiting for the next one.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
- 11/12/2003 12:53:39 PM   
Wild Bill

One more thought. Adding your own name in the group is a great idea. I do it often. It gives a feeling of more personal involvement. It hink it is a good thing for the player to do in any battle he fights.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 3
- 11/12/2003 9:47:26 PM   
Jim1954

[QUOTE=Fallschirmjager]II also apprechiate the small things now
Like M3 tanks...60mm mortars and .30 cal machine guns

FJ, practice with those 60's and 30's. In MCSE, frequently those are all of the heavy weapons you get.

Makes you work a bit harder but it's just that much more fun.

:D

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 4
RE: - 2/10/2004 1:13:35 AM   
Wild Bill

i just want you to know that I'm glad you enjoyed it, FJ...and any who play it the same is true...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 2/13/2004 4:46:31 AM   
Mark Ezra

It was great fun to test and one tough beast to play! I especially loved those trench guns... up close and personal!

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 2/13/2004 3:38:31 PM   
Jackk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

i just want you to know that I'm glad you enjoyed it, FJ...and any who play it the same is true...WB

Well, you can know I enjoyed it too.

I bought WT and LV at the same time.....while I was still working on DF. I forced myself to wait till I finished DF but then I started both at the same time. After 2 battles each I dropped LV to focus on WT.
I ended up spending about 6 months on it (life, etc) but it was definitely the most enrossing campaign I've ever played.

So I after I finished I went back to LV. I got 5 battles into it and then SE came out I think I'm hooked on infantry battles in a tank game, because now all I play is SE.

Thanks WB and the WT team!

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 2/13/2004 8:57:23 PM   
Wild Bill

Good to know, Jackk. My predilection is WW2, Pacific Theater. Thus Watchtower for me was a golden opportunity to learn and to share. That it was such a pleasurable experience for you and others is a great recompense personally. Thanks for sharing this with me..

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Jackk)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 2/14/2004 6:11:45 AM   
RUsco

As the designer of the Tulagi option in MC:WT, Thank you for the kind words. The real "Heroes" are the testers of all the differant battle. My hat is off to them and a big SALUTE.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 2/14/2004 7:47:45 AM   
Wild Bill

Well, the mighty Conqueror. I thought you had gotten hopelessly lost on one of those devil islands deep in the Pacific. I thought perhaps you had run across Tom Hanks and together were building that raft

Good to see you are still in the land of the living.

For those who don't know the small Tulagi Campaign is a very well done piece of work by William Rusco and is a good example of fighting in the Pacific.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to RUsco)
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 2/14/2004 2:38:44 PM   
RUsco

Hey Colonel,
Still alive and kicking, just driving over thr road trucks. Not a lot of time to hang out on the Computor.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> To Wild Bill and the MC:WT team Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI