Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWaw 3 vs later versions/unzipped size

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaw 3 vs later versions/unzipped size Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWaw 3 vs later versions/unzipped size - 8/17/2001 5:18:00 PM   
Steve Wilcox

Howdy, I was wondering if some kind soul could tell me if there's a huge difference between SPWaW 3.0.23b (the one that came with PC Gamer last year) and the later versions? I foolishly wasn't paying attention when 4 (?) was released with a computer mag this past spring so just have the older version. Also wondering how much the zipped download bloats up into when unzipped. I have enough HD space for the DL itself, but not if it doubles in size when unzipped. The PC Gamer CD version fits just fine.

Post #: 1
- 8/17/2001 7:14:00 PM   
Supervisor

Major differences in gameplay and improvements, to include MegaCampaign support it's like night and day. Once it decompresses it consumes about 800mb of HD space, not sure on exact amount I'll let you know when I go back home. Current version is 6.1 with ver 7 about labor day. It's well worth it if you have the space. See a list of enhancements just within the latest 2 updates. Version updates [ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to Steve Wilcox)
Post #: 2
- 8/17/2001 7:26:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by gmenfan:
Major differences in gameplay and improvements, to include MegaCampaign support it's like night and day. Once it decompresses it consumes about 800mb of HD space, not sure on exact amount I'll let you know when I go back home. Current version is 6.1 with ver 7 about labor day. It's well worth it if you have the space. See a list of enhancements just within the latest 2 updates. Version updates [ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

If he buys the mc and gets the 5.3 build with the stereo files already there, it is over a gig on the hard drive. Its really time for everyone to buy a larger hd. The only other game on my hd over a gig in size is halflife, with all sorts of mods installed.
thanks, John.

Post #: 3
- 8/17/2001 8:13:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I had a chance to buy a mint condition copy of Squad Leader the other day for next to nothing. I thought thought thought and thought some more. Then I didnt buy it. Why bother, I own all of Advanced Squad Leader anyway. But the game is still a good game even if it isnt the latest the best and the most accurate. Same goes for your earlier version SPWaW as I see it. Dont get stressed killing yourself so you can play the latest bells and whistles. If you like it, you will contiinue to like it. The latest version is admittedly mucho more game. But it also wants mucho more hard drive. I have 40 gigs of dead space on my computer. But that is not the case with everyone. Think about scrounging up a low priced not the latest thing drive if you can though. You might like the latest changes.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 4
- 8/17/2001 9:07:00 PM   
Steve Wilcox

Thank you for the responses. I know I should get a bigger HD (mine's only 1.57 GB with a big chunk taken up by the full install of Close Combat III which is necessary to use the RealRed mod), but then I'll want a faster processor/CPU too, cuz I just have a piddly P150. Then there's my lame 1 MB of video RAM... :-( So I'm hoping to wait till next year to get a better PC. Thanks for saving me the DL time for the later version, I'll continue to enjoy v3.0b until I get a more manly hard-drive. :-)

Post #: 5
- 8/17/2001 9:30:00 PM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by SteveFromWork:
Thank you for the responses. I know I should get a bigger HD (mine's only 1.57 GB with a big chunk taken up by the full install of Close Combat III which is necessary to use the RealRed mod), but then I'll want a faster processor/CPU too, cuz I just have a piddly P150. Then there's my lame 1 MB of video RAM... :-( So I'm hoping to wait till next year to get a better PC. Thanks for saving me the DL time for the later version, I'll continue to enjoy v3.0b until I get a more manly hard-drive. :-)
Pentium 3's with large HD's are really cheap now.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 6
- 8/19/2001 4:54:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Warrior:
Pentium 3's with large HD's are really cheap now.
I don't know about where you are, here you can go to a office supply store and pick up a 40 gig drive for under $150, I can remember 5.25 floppy drives more than that 10 years ago.
thanks, John.

Post #: 7
- 8/19/2001 5:58:00 PM   
kangshen9

Speaking of SPWAW V.3+.....is there an update patch for this to V.4.4....PLEASE! (I just downloaded V.5 again, and one file was corrupted..and that took a week..argh....but I have the PC gamer disc....)

Post #: 8
- 8/19/2001 10:14:00 PM   
Steve Wilcox

Hey Kangshen9, I just e-mailed you the link for a forum page with links to some old upgrade downloads. I downloaded some stuff but haven't tested them out. Still working with space issues.

Post #: 9
- 8/19/2001 10:21:00 PM   
Steve Wilcox

John G and Warrior, I'm up in Canada and the HD prices are okay, it's just that I'm a bit hesitant to put a nice new HD in my computer when it will be the best component in my system cuz I'll have to yank it out (or have it yanked out) when I upgrade everything else that's in my ancient (no USB port) system. But maybe I'll suck it up once I check out the hassle factor. I'm afraid I'll wtreck something if I do it myself. :-)

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaw 3 vs later versions/unzipped size Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI