Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Snipers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Snipers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Snipers? - 11/13/2003 12:06:47 AM   
Adamo

Is it worth attempting to snipe 'hard' targets?

I haven't really ever purchased snipers but recently I've used them against some tanks just to see what effect they would have and they've done nothing but hit the turret or hull of the unit.

Any 'sniping' advice for a rookie?

adamo
Post #: 1
- 11/13/2003 12:25:16 AM   
VikingNo2

Yep, snipe that big tank just before you engage it with something that can kill it, what you will gain is the Tiger most likely not kill you with its return shot and it probably will not spot you. ( Notice lots of probably ) If they shoot make sure they can get out of the area quickly.

Snipers most of the time don't kill anything, the only target I normally let them fire on are Ammo Trucks. They are very good at recon so move them slow and turn there range down or off. They are too expensive to waste in combat, very good at getting eyes on you enemy. Remember calling arty is more effective if the unit calling the arty has eyes on target. Rush them as far foward with some fast light vehicle then let them sit a couple of turns watching and gathering intel, then you can creep them foward and look for something importand, Arty Parks, HQ's, overwatching AT guns, the list goes on and on.

Hope this helps,

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 2
- 11/13/2003 12:26:48 AM   
Resisti

Snipers are good spotters.
They have a size of 0, and if moved wisely and carefully, they can move around the battlefield and being virtually undetectable.

They are good with soft target(tough have a low rate of fire), and even if they don't kill, the cause suppression and speed's reduction at their targets, anyway.

Against hard targets, well, how could they do something ;)
But it can happen, very rarely, that a lucky hit disable a vehicle.
And you can see, from time to time, a sniper killing a tank in close assault, too :cool:

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 3
- 11/13/2003 7:19:19 AM   
Wolfleader

Not really. I know in Combat Mission you can snipe the commander of enemy tanks and APC's which heavily demoralizes the crew but I don't think you can do it in SPWAW.

Snipers are best employed as scouts in SPWAW as they are cheap and fairly expendable and since they only consist of a single rifle man to a 2 man team, their quite stealthy.

You can also use them to snipe at enemy infantry or soft targets like trucks or jeeps but machine gunners and infantry squads are IMO much better at doing that since they pack much more firepower and ammo than a single sniper team.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 4
RE: - 2/7/2004 8:40:11 PM   
Palice

Can a sniper put an AFV BU ?

LaPalice.

LaPalice est mort
Mort devant Pavie
1/4 d'heure avant sa mort
Il était encore en vie...

(in reply to Wolfleader)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 2/7/2004 9:13:26 PM   
Goblin

Shooting at an enemy tank, regardless of what you shot at it with, gives them the combat friction penalties for being shot at (reduced to hit, reduced spotting, loss of movement points, etc). Therefore, while you will not see a major effect most of the time, shooting a tank with a sniper can make a difference as described by Viking above.

The sniper is not likely to be seen with a single shot. Popping the tank may make another unit of yours (say a hidden ATG) less likely to be seen when it fires, because the enemy tank has now 'buttoned up', reducing its spotting. The same technique can be applied with MG's, infantry, etc, but they are more likely to be spotted than the sniper is.

Goblin

(in reply to Palice)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Snipers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI