Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Third Reich PC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Third Reich PC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Third Reich PC - 10/7/2000 8:43:00 AM   
Vonbrown

Hey guys...........I salute you on all your efforts and results! Keep up the good work! How's 'bout porting Third Reich PC from AH to Windows?

Post #: 1
- 10/7/2000 3:55:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Vonbrown: Hey guys...........I salute you on all your efforts and results! Keep up the good work! How's 'bout porting Third Reich PC from AH to Windows?
Having played 3R (comp&board) and A3R (board) I'd suggest developing a game from the ground up that is *designed* to be a computer game, not a literal boardgame conversion. A boardgame is inheriently simplistic so it can be played, but a computer allows games with much higher complexity and detail. From the highlights I've read, something like Matrix's War in the Pacific is an excellent example of what a computer game can be, something a boardgame conversion just can't compete with.

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 2
- 10/7/2000 11:27:00 PM   
sapperland

This was tried already by AH. The Computer version failed in a big way. I have had a lot of fun playing 3rd Reich and even more with Rising Sun with cardboard units. But I agree with Ed on this, the game does not convert as well as one would think.

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 3
- 10/10/2000 1:04:00 AM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by sapperland: This was tried already by AH. The Computer version failed in a big way. I have had a lot of fun playing 3rd Reich and even more with Rising Sun with cardboard units. But I agree with Ed on this, the game does not convert as well as one would think.
Hi Sapperland, I waited too long before getting Rising Sun to add to A3R, now its too late. Did RS seem logical/reasonable to you? I always wondered about it since (A)3R was centered around ground combat, specifically armored manuever warfare (the "Breakthrough", "Exploitation", etc). I wondered if adapting 3R design for Pacific War made sense, as the Pacific theater never had warfare that resembled combat in Europe. Did it make sense, feel right, and was it fun?

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 4
- 10/10/2000 8:12:00 AM   
sapperland

quote:

Originally posted by Ed Cogburn: Hi Sapperland, I waited too long before getting Rising Sun to add to A3R, now its too late. Did RS seem logical/reasonable to you? I always wondered about it since (A)3R was centered around ground combat, specifically armored manuever warfare (the "Breakthrough", "Exploitation", etc). I wondered if adapting 3R design for Pacific War made sense, as the Pacific theater never had warfare that resembled combat in Europe. Did it make sense, feel right, and was it fun?
The game is very fun. The learning curve is like A3R. But after you get it all figured out, its a blast to play. The game plays the same in the economics but battles and movement are far different. Items from the game would be great for computer like the research tree and TF's break down and their effect on combat surprise modifiers. Just those two things make the game very fun to play. I would not think turning the game, rule for rule and unit for unit, into a computer game would work very well. You can do so much more with the computer tracking all the stuff that the realism can be raised to a much higher level.

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 5
- 10/10/2000 8:17:00 AM   
sapperland

Concerning Rising Sun and Advanced 3rd Reich. They can be played together to make a world wide battle. But in truth, both games play much better standing on their own.

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 6
- 10/10/2000 4:40:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by sapperland: I would not think turning the game, rule for rule and unit for unit, into a computer game would work very well. You can do so much more with the computer tracking all the stuff that the realism can be raised to a much higher level.
Thanks Sapper. This is exactly what WitP is going to do for us, with realism raised perhaps higher than ever before. God, how long must I wait! Arrgh!!!

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 7
- 10/10/2000 9:16:00 PM   
Leibstandarte

I have played two games of Global War (A3R+RS) and it was a blast. With the research and everything we had a good time playing. One recommendation though, never allow one player to play both Germany and the Japanese. As you may have guessed from my name here I am quite partial to the Germanys and used the Japanese solely to further the German cause. Not the best of things to do to get the full effect out of the game I admit. My second game was with 4 players and it worked out great. ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 8
- 10/11/2000 4:25:00 PM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Leibstandarte: I have played two games of Global War (A3R+RS) and it was a blast. With the research and everything we had a good time playing. One recommendation though, never allow one player to play both Germany and the Japanese. As you may have guessed from my name here I am quite partial to the Germanys and used the Japanese solely to further the German cause. Not the best of things to do to get the full effect out of the game I admit. My second game was with 4 players and it worked out great.
No, this is no horrible offense, friend. Anyone remember playing the Germans in 3R and using Italy as a "tool" for Germany's greater good? :-) This problem exists in any game where one person is in charge of multiple nations.

(in reply to Vonbrown)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Third Reich PC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote