Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game crash due to sound file?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Game crash due to sound file? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game crash due to sound file? - 2/12/2004 7:25:00 PM   
gdpsnake

My computer locks up with a blank screen and can only be rebooted after pulling the plug.
This happens on occassion whenever an AT weapon hits an AFV. I think that the computer loads a corrupted sound file to represent the "hit" or "kill" noise or whatever the result is which locks up the game completely crashing the computer.
It doesn't happen but maybe one in 50 times but it is totally destructive to the game especially in Mega Campaigns since you can't save without exiting and I don't do this all the time (I have started doing it more! LOL!).
I am running windows XP with Direct 9.0 and SPWAW version 8.1.
Has anyone else experienced this or nailed the bug down?
Sanke
Post #: 1
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/13/2004 12:41:41 AM   
Voriax

Hmm..I don't recall this kind of a bug. Does this happen when you hit with a certain type of weapon? (atg, bazooka, schreck or like)
If you suspect there's a corrupt sound file you could play these sounds with media player, start from the ones with smallest size as they are mostly weapon sounds. Longer wav's tend to be movement sounds. And as they are very short sounds it won't take that much time to check 100 sounds or so. If you spot a corrupt sound this way it would be easy then to mail you a new copy.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 2
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/13/2004 3:42:41 AM   
john g

quote:

ORIGINAL: gdpsnake

My computer locks up with a blank screen and can only be rebooted after pulling the plug.
This happens on occassion whenever an AT weapon hits an AFV. I think that the computer loads a corrupted sound file to represent the "hit" or "kill" noise or whatever the result is which locks up the game completely crashing the computer.
It doesn't happen but maybe one in 50 times but it is totally destructive to the game especially in Mega Campaigns since you can't save without exiting and I don't do this all the time (I have started doing it more! LOL!).
I am running windows XP with Direct 9.0 and SPWAW version 8.1.
Has anyone else experienced this or nailed the bug down?
Sanke

Have you noticed this with just with UK equipment in the battle? I had this sort of problem back in the 7.0 beta days. I was testing with a UK WWII campaign and had problems when certain UK units were opfiring vs Germans. I don't recall if it was Matilda II's, 2 pdr AT guns, or whatever armored car my core had at the time. Using a save game I was able to get it to glitch about the same point in the battle perhaps 50% of the time, and as I recall I sent the save game in so that it could be tested by matrix's staff.

Be aware that I don't think that the megacampaign bug with perturn vic hexes and loading save games has ever been fixed. If you load a save game the perturn vic hexes are set to 0 accumulated points, if you load just before the end of a battle you could lose all your per turn points.

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 3
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/13/2004 6:12:58 PM   
gdpsnake

John G,
I wasn't aware of the per turn vic hexes not being fixed. Great, now I can't save and I've had the dang crash at the most inopportune times like the amazing assault kill of a KV with one guy, alone, afraid.....but heroic. Then a tank gun opens up and zap - goodbye computer.
I've had the crash in the megacampaigns, scenarios and campaigns. It has happened with British, German and Russian AFV's getting hit with some sort of AT weapon usually another tank. It's hard to tell exactly because you don't expect it and the crash is quick.
I will try playing the sound files - it's the only thing I can think of and maybe I was just unlucky in getting a corrupted file so that's why others aren't seeing this.
Yes, this is very much like the 7.0 build crash - I remember that one too.
Snake

(in reply to john g)
Post #: 4
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/13/2004 6:39:51 PM   
Jim1954

Snake, since your problems seems to follow wherever you go, just what particular sound card are you using and has it been updated with the latest appropriate drivers?

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 5
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/15/2004 11:47:58 PM   
gdpsnake

Well,
I played all the sound files and they all worked.
I have sound blaster live with the latest driver updates according to creative. ctaud2k.sys 7/19/2002 5.12.0001.0252
I'm stumped.
Snake

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 6
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/16/2004 6:47:21 PM   
Seagull

You might try reducing the hardware sound acceleration level, using dxdiag.

Good luck!

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 7
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/18/2004 4:45:20 AM   
Ken Legg

I'm getting the blank sceen affect after I click on PLAY STEEL PANTHERS WORLD AT WAR
in the main menu. nothing else happens Can someone tell me what's goiung on ? I'd like to start playing this game !

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 8
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/18/2004 5:52:57 AM   
BruceAZ

I think it happens with a AP or AT shell is fired from a German PZIIIH or 47MM AT is fired at a Russian tank. It always happens during op fire during the AI turn. Hope this helps.

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 9
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 2/18/2004 11:04:53 PM   
gdpsnake

To Ken,
I had that problem with 7.1. I would hit ctrl-alt-delete (I have win XP) and end the SPWAW program, then immediately start it again and it would work fine.
To Bruce, I've seen it happen at other times such as a panzer hitting a British Matilda but yes, always during OP fire during the AI's Turn.

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 10
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 5/28/2004 10:39:35 AM   
scaguy

quote:

Mine just drops the game shutting spwaw down. I've noticed it does it only in long games when a hit or explosion is to occur. Also when breaching walls which results in a vehicle breakdown.

running spwaw v8.? as updated by the updater. amd xp1700+, 512 mb ram, winxp pro,
adigy2, ati radeon 9500pro.

note if i save.. and i reload after the drop i continues no prob. memory leak?

great game though!

(in reply to gdpsnake)
Post #: 11
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 5/28/2004 9:21:07 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ken Legg

I'm getting the blank sceen affect after I click on PLAY STEEL PANTHERS WORLD AT WAR
in the main menu. nothing else happens Can someone tell me what's goiung on ? I'd like to start playing this game !

If you recently downloaded 8.0 or 8.1 whichever it is, i think there was a nested SHP folder which caused this.
someone correct me if Im wrong

(in reply to Ken Legg)
Post #: 12
RE: Game crash due to sound file? - 5/30/2004 7:46:13 PM   
immortaljacko

I'd like to know too, i just recently downloaded it and was playing alright, but I don't know what caused it but a few times SPWaW would kick me back to desktop, iratating. Then yesterday it just froze up, not sure if it's related but just thought i'd mention it.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Game crash due to sound file? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI