Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/19/2004 6:54:23 PM   
Arith

Hello, can you guys recomend a US Civil War boardgame that someone who has zero wargaming experience (boardgames not computer) can get into. My brother and I are trying to find a 2 player game we can play on weekends. Thanks.

- - ARITH - -
Post #: 1
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/19/2004 7:44:47 PM   
Jim1954

Across Five Aprils is a "Decent" beginner game. Not too detailed but enough to keep it from being boring. Originally made by Victory Games and probably harder to find, but here is a listing I found on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3176082336&category=2558

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Arith)
Post #: 2
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/20/2004 7:57:13 AM   
degen

It's great that you want to play the older boardgames. Here are some ideas for you:

Try either of the Blue and Grey quads by SPI (and later TSR). These quad games were relatively straight forward and easy to play within 2-3 hours. With four games in each package, there is variety in the games that you can play.

If you want more of a challenge, then try one of the Terrible Swift Sword series smaller games, such as Cedar Mountain or Wilson's Creek. The TSS series uses a more complex morale and step reduction system. The larger games like TSS itself or Gleam of Bayonets can take days to play, but the smaller games are more manageable.

Although I have not played it, Avalon Hill also put out a Gettysburg game that received good reviews.

Like the game Jim1954 mentioned, these games are out of print but can be found on eBay for a somewhat reasonable price.

Good luck and happy gaming!

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Arith)
Post #: 3
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/20/2004 8:30:17 PM   
vulcrust

Victory Games (Avalon Hill) put out a game called "The Civil War"
This is a strategic level game that spans the east coast to New Mexico. The board is HUGE. The game runs in pulses and leaders take points from your "pulse" so a turn is hard to predict when it will end. Leaders can be promoted and discharged plus randomly enter the game.
It is not a good game for tactics as this focuses more on the big struggle overall. I recommend it for beginners for the simple reason that focusing on smaller areas of the war (such as Gettysburg or Shiloh for example) can be appreciated more knowing the overall impact of the battle.
If your into regimental movements and moral this game will not appeal to you.
If your into leaders (high ranking), moral, railroads, state balance, and strategic planning; this game is a winner. Again check e-bay and respond back if you need more info and I will dust off my copy for exact publication.

(in reply to degen)
Post #: 4
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/20/2004 9:55:04 PM   
tsimmonds

South Mountain is an old SPI magazine game. It is on the TSS system and would be a good intro into Civil war era tactics. IIRC there is an infantry division on each side, a few artillery batteries, and a couple of cavalry units. Very nicely managable, and playable in a few hours. Look on Ebay....

(in reply to Arith)
Post #: 5
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/23/2004 12:30:59 AM   
ravinhood

I found a great deal on ebay for "six" games for $36.00, one of them was the old origional Gettysbury, the others were Stalingrad, Africa Korps, Battle of the Bulge, Alexander the Great, and Waterloo. All of these games were the old origional versions of these games. They all are in excellent condition, no tears on the boxes, no pieces missing, all the rules, it's like they were barely played. I think I got a steal cause this was a new ebayer and he required a money order! heh. I remember back when I bought these games in the 60's they were $3.64 lol, Stalingrad was my first purchase. But, back then a kid with $3.64 was rich, I sold GRIT newspapers to make money to buy my games. Now who all remembers GRIT newspapers?

Gettysburg was one of the first board wargames I ever played. Was in the 6th grade just before school was letting out for summer, we got one of those free day play days and while everyone else went outside to the playground, I stayed inside with a friend who brought the game to school, so we played and I was hooked on board wargames up until 1981 when computers (commodore 64) came out with wargames.

At one time I had owned all of the above games and several others, but, over the years had lost them in moves. To get these six back was like a gift from heaven, the six games I broke my teeth on getting into board wargames.

Through ebay lately I have aquired several other games, Little Round Top is a very simple civil wargame, I rather like to call it a gamette though, there's others like it, like Devils Den. I got a Squad Leader game "unpunched", The Alamo (unpunched) heh, I'm from Texas so that one is popular here. I recenlty got the American Heritage "Battle Cry" 1961 version of a Milton Bradley Civil War Game (this one is definitely a beer and pretzels newbie game of the era).

What I'm looking for now is the battle of Isandlawana and Rourke's Drift, during the British invasion of Zululand. (heh and they called it a DEFENSE of Natal) lol. Anyone know any games that depic these battles?

(in reply to Arith)
Post #: 6
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/23/2004 3:22:57 AM   
Tom Stearns

The best Civil War board games are made by a company called The Gamer's. They are mostly brigade level, although they have a few at regimental level. The games emphasize morale and command. In fact the system utilizes a miniature's style order system. Formations must have received orders to move, attack or defend. Commander's can roll for initiative if a situation develops. They are not hard games to learn. THe movement and combat not difficult. THe most challenging aspect is properly utilizing the order system. These games come highly recommended. In fact, when I was still buying board games, I was at the point where I only bought games from this company. They had a Napoleonic brigade level game series, operational ww2 and tactical ww2.
I'm not sure if they are still in business, but if you can find one of their games you will not be sorry. Their regimental Gettysburg game may be the best game ever made.

We're gonna dance with who brung us.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/23/2004 3:14:20 PM   
tsimmonds

Ravinhood, there is an old S&T that I think contains both games, IIRC the counters for the two games are backprinted on each other. IIRC further, I still have my old issue in a box somewhere....

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/24/2004 2:20:48 AM   
Challerain

They are indeed still in business, however hey were purchased by Multiman Publishing. The games seem very good, but look to be detailed as well.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com

(in reply to Tom Stearns)
Post #: 9
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 2/29/2004 5:24:36 AM   
VictorH

I wonder why a post I made last week has been deleted?

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 10
RE: Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... - 3/7/2004 9:00:44 PM   
NefariousKoel

I've said it before... a good starter - still in print last I checked.

http://www.avalonhill.com/default.asp?x=games/battlecry

(in reply to VictorH)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Can someone recomend a US Civil War boardgame... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI