Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Signs You Might Be Addicted To This Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Signs You Might Be Addicted To This Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Signs You Might Be Addicted To This Game - 9/5/2001 8:36:00 PM   
smokstak2

Hello fellow gamers, After my girlfriend was surprised last night when I shouted "CRAP!!" into the phone (playing SPWAW while talking to her) when one of my T-34's was exploded by a StugIIIG, I thought of a little list that might indicate you are addicted to this game...not as if that is a bad thing, or even that a wargamer has any powers of resistance to this game, however. LOL. 1. You constantly refer to distances in # of hexes. 2. You refer to your house as a "single hex brick structure" 3. You can't remember your significant other's birthday to save your life, but you know the penetration values for a Panther G with AP ammo at 15 hexes. 4. You have calculated front, side, and rear armor values for your car/truck. 5. You are reluctant to drive into a dense urban area without "heavy infantry support" 6. When 9 of your friends are out somewhere, you invariably appoint a "squad leader." 7. You've mapped out your neighborhood in the map editor, and pre-registered your artillery on annoying neighbors' houses. 8. You can't go anywhere without assigning an "objective." 9. When asked "how's the weather?" you respond with "visibility 3, rain." Hope you liked those heheh. When digging through old posts, I found a thread about things people always say while playing. Here's mine: "Is everybody and their MOTHER shooting at me?" When a tank/AT gun scores a hit and the enemy vehicle explodes: "WOHOO!!" (while pumping fist up and down) After congratulating oneself after taking out 2 Tigers by a careful, multi-turn approach only to see another platoon of them come into view: "Geez, how many of these bastards do they HAVE?" When your 75% shot misses and the enemy kills you with a 8% shot, despite moving in the same turn: "WHAT THE HELL!!??"
Ciao,
-Tim

Post #: 1
- 9/5/2001 9:08:00 PM   
Anonymous Sender

re#5...I've often wanted infantry support when in dense urban areas and it had nothing to do with SP

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 2
- 9/5/2001 10:01:00 PM   
lnp4668

I would like to add: 10. When driving to work, you take note of the defensibility of terrain (Would my AT guns see everything from that hill? I could hull down my tank in that ravine)

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 3
- 9/5/2001 11:12:00 PM   
AlvinS

11. After playing a Wild Bill scenario you are afraid to even mow the lawn for fear of stepping on another &%@&!!! Mine. Hey you never know. Alvins

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 4
- 9/5/2001 11:29:00 PM   
ruxius

AHAHAHAHAHAAH
you guys !!!!
LOLOLOLOL
15) When your girlfriend invites home new wonderful nice new friend and you suddenly think you would try to "infiltrating behind enemy lines " 16) You now understand that your dog has always been a pack mule 17 ) When sitting in your chair you always dug-in

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 5
- 9/6/2001 1:21:00 AM   
ectizen

18. When watching war movies, you find yourself nodding and saying to yourself, "Yes, the machine guns on those German half-tracks sound correct."

ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 6
- 9/6/2001 1:44:00 AM   
Nikademus

19. When driving to work, you take a moment to note and admire the nice sloping angle of your front windshield 20. Your first thought after a rock chip glances off said front windshield is; "Whew.....the armor held." 21. A case of sweaty palms develops along with the urge to write a last will and testiment before starting the latest Wild Bill scenerio 22. You argue a point made by another poster (on other boards) about a specific tank's characteristics and base the seat of your argument from data gleaned off the SP:WAW OOB's.
[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Nikademus ]

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 7
- 9/6/2001 2:38:00 AM   
parusski

lnp4668, I knew this game had soaked deeply into my brain one day when my wife was in the car with me. I pointed out that a certain area of terrain, with the right weapons would make the road we were on impassable. She looked at me as if I were Jesus appearing before her. She told me the game had to go. I just hid it on another hard drive on my computer under a folder named Cabs. She never looks in folders that sound like they have something to do with the operation of the computer. Dasvadanya.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 8
- 9/6/2001 3:22:00 AM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by parusski:
lnp4668, I knew this game had soaked deeply into my brain one day when my wife was in the car with me. I pointed out that a certain area of terrain, with the right weapons would make the road we were on impassable. She looked at me as if I were Jesus appearing before her. She told me the game had to go. I just hid it on another hard drive on my computer under a folder named Cabs. She never looks in folders that sound like they have something to do with the operation of the computer. Dasvadanya.
I am glad I am not the only fanatic around here

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 9
- 9/6/2001 4:44:00 AM   
bradmbrown

23... Show up for work on Monday morning, hair messy, white stuff in the corners of my eyes, I stink like a weasel.
The guys there are winking at me, saying things like "Looks like Brad got LUCKY last night!!" and "Hehe, did you wear yer rain-gear?"
I reply, "Lucky? Yeah, I sure was, came through whole session with hardly a scratch."
"OH, she is not a screamer, she is a SCRATHCHER, eh? (nudge nudge). Boss says, "What do you have to say for yourself? You look terrible!"
I mumble "Katyushas 'n Stukas."
He says, Fine, but I will need a letter from your doctor, okay? Take the rest of the day off."

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 10
- 9/6/2001 5:01:00 AM   
Zakhal

Looking through my window; "Great distances. Lots of view to the empty streets" If i just had a sniper rifle or a lmg and it would be a war here... Not to mention thered be som room for ATG in our balcany which has a great 90 degree view downwards to shoot tanks. Its just that artillery fire might break it too easily. The roof isnt that good. [ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Zakhal ]

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 11
- 9/6/2001 5:56:00 AM   
tracer

Was adding some PVC sprinkler lines to the front yard a couple weeks ago so I sketched out a quick layout on graph paper to bring with me to Home Depot. After several changes it started looking sloppy and I actually considered attempting to try doing it with the Map Editor. I can hear the guy at Home Depot now: 'OK sir, you 'll need 8 ten foot sections of PVC, three 90 degree elbows, and....what's a Maxim HMG??'

Jim NSB

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 12
- 9/6/2001 6:20:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by ectizen:
18. When watching war movies, you find yourself nodding and saying to yourself, "Yes, the machine guns on those German half-tracks sound correct."

--------------------------------------------------Yes! Exactly! I can't stop myself. During "Saving Pvt Ryan": Are those real Tigers?
-or mock-ups? Aha! no forward drive sprockets!
They're in the back! Bogus! t-34 with a cosmetic
hull! Hmmm. Not bad, though.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 13
- 9/6/2001 7:11:00 AM   
KG Erwin

It's been mentioned before than SPWaW fans are approaching the level of Star Trek fans for their loyalty. The hard core Star Trek fans are called "Trekkers", as we all know. What do you call the hardcore SPWaW fans? How about "World at Warriors", or "Panther Grenadiers", or "Spwawns (yeah, try to pronounce that)". Got any ideas? We could make it a contest , maybe.

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 14
- 9/6/2001 7:23:00 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, here it is. I've even got a code name. We call ourselves the "SpWaWns", but for simplicity, we say "Swans". We oughta use that . The Swans meet in springnext. Sorry, guys, I dived into cheesiness there.

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 15
- 9/6/2001 8:18:00 AM   
parusski

KG I go for SPAWNS. We are after all spawns of the great SPWAW.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 16
- 9/6/2001 8:27:00 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, parusski, I like Spawns. How about that, guys?

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 17
- 9/6/2001 8:45:00 AM   
Jasper

Sound Good...

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 18
- 9/6/2001 8:53:00 AM   
parusski

Oh the joy. For once I have contributed something useful to the forum.

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 19
- 9/6/2001 9:13:00 AM   
Drex

You might be a SPAWN if .... all you can think about is that one pbem move you wished you could take back.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 20
- 9/6/2001 9:47:00 AM   
troopie

You look at your boss and say, "It's late due to operational necessity. I am going to wait three turns until my Fallschirmjager land. Then we'll advance upon those four victory hexes." troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 21
- 9/6/2001 1:21:00 PM   
Randy

In an effort to take a break from the game, you find yourself making another map (with more difficult terrain), and/or you find yourself creating more OOB's just for the fun of it!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 22
- 9/6/2001 2:21:00 PM   
El_Peco

Behind a wargamer there is an homourist!
Really appreciated yours posts guys!
By the way, does someone know armour of a citroen Saxò, especially rear armour! Regards.

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 23
- 9/6/2001 2:57:00 PM   
gnoccop

SPAWNS. nice code name. sounds good

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 24
- 9/6/2001 7:31:00 PM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by ectizen:
Hehehhe Ive done that!!

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 25
- 9/6/2001 8:16:00 PM   
O de B

Lol i love SPaWns
Did you ever notice that most 'Tigers' in US WW2 films are just M24 Chaffees with german markings Ok i'll be back to work as soon as i finish cleaning the 6 hexes of garden

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 26
- 9/6/2001 10:13:00 PM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by O de B:
Lol i love SPaWns
Did you ever notice that most 'Tigers' in US WW2 films are just M24 Chaffees with german markings Ok i'll be back to work as soon as i finish cleaning the 6 hexes of garden

The "tigers" in "the Battle of the Bulge" Looked an awful lot like pershings to me!!
The US tanks that opposed them appeared to be chaffees.

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 27
- 9/6/2001 10:32:00 PM   
Anonymous Sender

The "Tigers" in Kelly's Heroes were dolled-up T-34s...didn't look half-bad I thought

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 28
- 9/6/2001 11:02:00 PM   
Dan Bozza

quote:

Originally posted by lnp4668:
I would like to add: 10. When driving to work, you take note of the defensibility of terrain (Would my AT guns see everything from that hill? I could hull down my tank in that ravine)
I remember this from when I was a kid, way before SPWAW (Must have been the Panzer Leader). I never told anyone, figured I was crazy.

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 29
- 9/6/2001 11:46:00 PM   
Figmo

LOL - love this stuff!! Here's another: When your spouse wants to get romantic and you say "As soon as I see what's over this next hill". Then 2 turns later you find she is asleep. The scariest thing ever said to me was "If you wake the baby up AGAIN - you will be breast feeding him"!! I got real quiet!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to smokstak2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Signs You Might Be Addicted To This Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI