Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Infantry Companies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Russian Infantry Companies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Infantry Companies - 2/27/2004 10:47:38 PM   
Steve Wilcox

I only play against the AI, so I just hack the OOBs until they seem right to me (so I don't personally care that much what the official OOBs are), but I thought I would list the actual Russian TO&Es for Rifle Companies because they are rather different than the standard OOBs in any version of SPWAW I've seen. So if anyone is interested:

Dec 35: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/4 LMG) x3, MMG Plt (2 MMG)
Sep 39: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/4 LMG, Lt Mtr Sec w/1 tube) x3, MMG Plt (2 MMG)
Jul 41: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/2 LMG, Lt Mtr Sec w/1 tube) x3
Aug 41: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/2 LMG, Lt Mtr Sec w/1tube) x2, Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/2 LMG) x1
Oct 41: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/2 LMG) x3
Dec 41: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/3 LMG) x3
Mar 42: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/4 LMG) x3
Jul 42 (early): Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/4 LMG) x3, Lt Mtr Plt (4 tubes)
Jul 42 (late): Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/4 LMG) x3, Lt Mtr Plt (3 tubes)
Dec 42: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/6 LMG) x3, Lt Mtr Plt (2 tubes), MMG Sec (1 MMG)
Dec 42 Guards: Rfl Plt (4 Sqd w/6 LMG) x3, Lt Mtr Plt (2 tubes), MMG Plt (2 MMG)
Aug 43 (official reduced strength variant): Rfl Plt x3 (3 Sqd w/3 LMG), MMG Sec (1 MMG)
Dec 44: unclear, but probably like above, possibly with MMG Plt (2 MMG) instead of MMG Sec (1 MMG)

The info is primarily from Red Army Handbook 1939-1945 by Steven J. Zaloga and Leland S. Ness, although because they say that there is little information available regarding the December 1944 TO&Es for the infantry division, I figure the late war company will probably be like the one listed in the back of the Up Front rulebook (3 Plt of 3 Sqd and 2 MMG) or the August 1943 reduced strength variant. Pardon the heavy use of abbreviations, but I'm a lazy b@stard.

There are only 3 available formation slots for Rifle Companies (1072, 1074, and 1147) and 2 for Guards (1076 and 1149), so of course all 13 of the above aren't going to make it in (I usually don't change the type of formation in a slot so I don't screw up the AI choices), and so some choices have to be made, considering the limited formation slots available and the end date limitations of the game editor.

I personally tend to use the Sep 39 one from 39 to 41, the Dec 42 (with 1-2 MGs and 2-3 Lt Mtr, depending on whether I adjust the MG and Mtr formations) from Jan 42 to Dec 43 and the Aug 43 variant from Jan 44 onwards, with a Guards version of each of the last two. I also reclass the Maxim to a MMG, among other butchery.

Not completely accurate as I have to do some 'fudging' to make things fit the game, but it's close enough for me. Everyone probably has their own personal line where necessary historical accuracy crosses over into needless quibbling over details and at what point fantasy OOBs begin. I don't sweat that some squads shouldn't have an LMG and that some should have two. I just change the stuff that bugs me. Thanks for a great game, Matrix!
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/27/2004 10:57:25 PM   
VikingNo2

Hi what is the weapons of the squads ?

(in reply to Steve Wilcox)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/27/2004 11:31:32 PM   
Goblin

There is generally one LMG inside each squad. When it calls for six LMG's and you have 4 squads, do you add two LMG teams?

Goblin

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/28/2004 1:48:26 AM   
Steve Wilcox

Hi VikingNo2, here it goes. It's a bit of a mish-mash because the info is in either or both text and tables, so it has to be dug for a bit and is not always equally well described:

Dec 35: Squad leader, observer/scout, 2-man LMG team, a 2-man grenadier team (rifle grenade launcher), and six riflemen.

Sep 39: LMG and 11 rifles (that's all it says).

Jun 40: Two of the rifles were supposed to be replaced by semi-automatic rifles, but this TO& E never saw combat, and it's unclear what the SMG issue was.

Apr 41: Squad leader (w/semi-auto), 2-man LMG team (semi-auto for the assistant), 2 submachine gunners, and six riflemen. The riflemen were supposed to have semi-autos, but it seems that only the SL, assistant machine gunner and two of the riflemen had 'em.

Jul 42 (late): The squad gets cut down to 9 men and appears to lose a SMG, but is otherwise the same. The early July TO&E table lists 9 SMG per company, while the late July one says 12, so I'm a little confused because the text doesn't say anything regarding the squad other than losing the two men.

Dec 42: Half the squads in the platoon get a second LMG, but no additional manpower.

Aug 43 variant: The squad goes back up to 11 men (with only 3 squads per platoon instead of 4, though), but only specifies that each squad had a single LMG without saying what the other weaponry was.

Now in Up Front the squad weapon breakdown goes like this:

Apr 41: 12 men, 1 semi-auto or SMG, 1 LMG, and 10 rifles.
Jul 41: as above for the LMG squads, and minus the LMG and plus a rifle for those without.
Jul 42: 9 men, 1 SMG, 1 LMG, and 7 rifles.
Dec 42: as above for the single LMG squads, and plus a LMG and minus a rifle for the squads with 2 LMG.
Dec 44: 7 men, 1 SMG, 1 LMG, and 5 rifles.

Although I have no idea what sources the Up Front designers used, they say that regarding the SVT-40 semi-automatic rifle, "...only a select few NCOs received them. By 1943, all officers had received machine pistols and the SVT1940 fell almost completely from use."

And regarding the squads w/2 LMGs they say: "...it is extremely doubtful that many rifle squads had more than one LMG at a time." Contrast this with the Red Army Handbook 1939-1945 saying re: the December 1942 TO&Es: "Two of the squads were issued a second RPD light machine gun, although with no increase in strength, and these tended to be used as a base of firepower against which the other two light squads could manoeuvre." Sounds like they were used, but who knows? (shrug)

Although I would tend to take the Red Army Handbook 1939-1945 as a source over just about anything else as: "...there has been a glaring lack of information on the organization and equipment of the red Army. Furthermore, much of the published materialis based on inaccurate German wartime accounts. This handbook attempts to redress this problem and has been base heavily on new Russian material made available since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991." (from its introduction)

Hi Goblin, I usually just leave the squads with one LMG per, so I don't have to worry about the ones that had two or none, but in the past I've experimented with using a weapon slot to create a "LMG x2" weapon for whatever the case may be (ie PzGr squads or the Russian 2 LMG squads) by getting rid of a weapon that is unused by the nationality, giving it about 150% of the HE Kill of the single weapon (based on the BAR x2 HE Kill of 8 versus the single BAR HE Kill of 5, which seemed like the closest thing to compare it to).

I found that using both the second and third squad weapon slots for an LMG uses up too many of the limited weapon spaces.

Nowadays I mostly just modify the formations (and the units a bit), because I usually have to get rid of something to add something or don't know how much the unit cost should change or I worry about screwing up the AI picks or the way the game works.

< Message edited by Steve Wilcox -- 3/1/2004 7:04:19 AM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/28/2004 1:50:53 AM   
Goblin

Roger that, thanks.

Goblin

Post #: 5
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/28/2004 6:17:43 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks, Steve. Good info. I'll pass this along to the OOB Team.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/28/2004 1:45:18 PM   
Steve Wilcox

EDIT:

"Apr 41: Squad leader (w/semi-auto), 2-man LMG team (semi-auto for the assistant), 2 submachine gunners, and six riflemen. The riflemen were supposed to have semi-autos, but it seems that only the SL, assistant machine gunner and two of the riflemen had 'em."

Sorry.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/28/2004 2:30:21 PM   
JJKettunen

Interesting fact about Soviet rifle companies is their small size during the late war. Against the most popular myths is the fact that the Red Army had a chronical lack of infantry after catastrophic losses of '41 and '42. Company size of 60 and even 30 men were very common, and the overall manpower advantage over Germans on August 1944 was only 2.7:1.

While Germans had similar manpower shortage in their formations, the fact that Soviets had too has never been modelled in tactical level wargames...AFAIK.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

Post #: 8
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 2/28/2004 3:08:17 PM   
Steve Wilcox

Crap, another edit:

Jul 42 (late): The squad gets cut down to 9 men and appears to lose a SMG, but is otherwise the same. The early July TO&E table lists 9 SMG per company, while the late July one says 12, so I'm a little confused because the text doesn't say anything regarding the squad other than losing the two men.

Sorry again!

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 3/3/2004 1:35:23 PM   
RockinHarry

Thank you very much for the info Steve! Just lately I needed to know about distribution of the semi auto rifle to russian infantry squads. So you would agree that unit 158 "SO Rifle Sqd" in soviet OOB, which has all SVT40 rifles in primary weapon slot1, is a bit of an overkill?

Do you have info whether russian para squads were distributed more of the SVT40 rifles, than line infantry?

German OOB has (had!) the same issue with some paras equipped with all FG42 rifles in slot1, as well as some SS infantry which had all the G41/43 rifles there.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 10
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 3/3/2004 7:31:12 PM   
Steve Wilcox

You're very welcome RockinHarry, I'm glad the info was useful. Yes I would definitely agree that Unit 158 having all SVT40s in the first slot is overkill (it looks to me like at best there would be a 50/50 split between SVT40s and Mosin M1930Gs in that squad).

Re: the Paras, I have unfortunately not been able to find any information about what personal weapons they had.

Good point re: German OOB. Some units seem excessively well equipped with FG42s or G41/43s, at least based on my understanding of their issue.

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 11
RE: Russian Infantry Companies - 3/10/2004 6:22:37 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Wilcox

You're very welcome RockinHarry, I'm glad the info was useful. Yes I would definitely agree that Unit 158 having all SVT40s in the first slot is overkill (it looks to me like at best there would be a 50/50 split between SVT40s and Mosin M1930Gs in that squad).

Re: the Paras, I have unfortunately not been able to find any information about what personal weapons they had.

Good point re: German OOB. Some units seem excessively well equipped with FG42s or G41/43s, at least based on my understanding of their issue.

thanks for confirmation Steve. I hope we have most of the "overarmed" infantry units fixed in the next V8.x patch.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Russian Infantry Companies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI