Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A feature ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A feature ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A feature ? - 9/7/2001 7:33:00 AM   
Cona

Hello all ! 1. Has someone else seen any unit with their rally ability equal to zero ? I've found several of this units lately. Now i've x0 and x4 -same platoon- units with rally capability zero so the leader can't help rallying ! I've reviewed a couple of scenarios and can't say for sure but this seems to happen just in generated battles. I know some leaders were really hated by their subordinates so i'm trying to see this as a feature but being completely unable to rally them it's too much !
This it's not a problem playing against the AI because u can save and reload and the problem will solve but while playing PBEM ... 2. While playing PBEM i've found that sometimes your opponent can't load their turn because the files you had sent to him have different saving times. Several minutes and even hours of difference. How, When and Why is that this occurs ? I've tried to "touch" the files to give them the same hour but didn't work. Saludos a todos,
Cona. P.S. err ... does anybody knows what "brown bess" means in spanish ? Can't find a translation for "bess" !

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand
Post #: 1
- 9/7/2001 8:21:00 AM   
troopie

morena isabellita, ek denk. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 2
- 9/7/2001 9:37:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

When a leader fails a rally attempt its rally rating is temporarily set to zero so it can;t rally any more for that turn. IT returns to normal at the end of the turn. We have not been able to determine why sometimes the .rec file is not updated. We think it might be do to exiting the game before the file is written. Teh best thing to do is to save the game beofre you end the turn,. alt tab to the desk top, and move teh save to a backup folder, then end the game. Check the timestamp on the rec file and see if they are all the same. If so you are probably OK, if not, move teh backup files back in and end the turn again. This may casue a security message to appear for your opponant, but should let you continue on the game.

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 3
- 9/7/2001 9:47:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:

We have not been able to determine why sometimes the .rec file is not updated. We think it might be do to exiting the game before the file is written. Teh best thing to do is to save the game beofre you end the turn,. alt tab to the desk top, and move teh save to a backup folder, then end the game. Check the timestamp on the rec file and see if they are all the same. If so you are probably OK, if not, move teh backup files back in and end the turn again. This may casue a security message to appear for your opponant, but should let you continue on the game.

Could this be something as screwy as a win disk cache not writing to disk immediately? I recall MS issuing a windows update (bug fix) on this subject, where people were shutting down their computers and losing files because the disk cache didn't write before power was lost. Personally I don't trust any cache done in software, and don't always trust the cache built in the harddrive hardware. I have never seen the worst case testing of how long a file will sit in the cache (depending on which 3rd party or MS cache is used), perhaps someone is using a poorly written piece of code.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 4
- 9/7/2001 9:51:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Cona:
Hello all !
P.S. err ... does anybody knows what "brown bess" means in spanish ? Can't find a translation for "bess" !

I don't know if that is a tagline or a real question, a "Brown Bess" was the British military musket in the late 1700's. Quite a few were carried during the American war of independance.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 5
- 9/7/2001 10:25:00 AM   
Cona

Thanks for your answer Paul ... i'll double check my units to see if the zero appears after or before any rally attempt.
quote:

Originally posted by john g:

I don't know if that is a tagline or a real question, a "Brown Bess" was the British military musket in the late 1700's. Quite a few were carried during the American war of independance.
thanks, John.

Thanks John. I've found the same searching throught (sp?) the web but i'm asking because of an Humbrol can of paint that bought few days ago. Still haven't any clue about what "bess" can be. Saludos a todos,
Cona.

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 6
- 9/7/2001 10:49:00 AM   
smokstak2

quote:

Originally posted by Cona:
Thanks for your answer Paul ... i'll double check my units to see if the zero appears after or before any rally attempt. Thanks John. I've found the same searching throught (sp?) the web but i'm asking because of an Humbrol can of paint that bought few days ago. Still haven't any clue about what "bess" can be. Saludos a todos,
Cona.

Technically, the "Brown Bess" was the Long Lance Service Musket. IIRC the unnoficial nickname, I think, derived from "bess" as a short for "Elizabeth" (Queen Elizabeth)....damn, can't remember where I read it though...will try to dig it up. -Tim

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 7
- 9/7/2001 11:10:00 AM   
bradmbrown

Bess Gender: Female
Root: ELIZABETH

Origin: Hebrew
Meaning: Oath of God [ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: General Amnesty ]

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 8
- 9/7/2001 4:56:00 PM   
gnoccop

quote:

Originally posted by john g:
Could this be something as screwy as a win disk cache not writing to disk immediately? I recall MS issuing a windows update (bug fix) on this subject, where people were shutting down their computers and losing files because the disk cache didn't write before power was lost. Personally I don't trust any cache done in software, and don't always trust the cache built in the harddrive hardware. I have never seen the worst case testing of how long a file will sit in the cache (depending on which 3rd party or MS cache is used), perhaps someone is using a poorly written piece of code.
thanks, John.

I'm thinking to "upgrade" to LINUX. SPWAW runs fine with WINE so I can play my favorite game in a 'solid' system!
I've dreamed Combat Leader programmed in Linux last night.

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A feature ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI