Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR - Taking Viru Harbor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AAR - Taking Viru Harbor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR - Taking Viru Harbor - 9/7/2001 9:17:00 AM   
Alexandra

Heya all. Here's a new AAR for you. AAR - Taking Viru Harbor by Louie Marsh July 1, 1943
Viru, New Georgia Played as the USMC with all options, except C+C, on. My forces are HQ, P, and O companies, and the Weapons Platoon, of the 4th Raider Battalion. My job is to move on, and take, the harbor at Viru. The harbor is a natural one, in the center of the map, and my force is split into 2 elements. The main body is approaching from the west. It has to take a hill overlooking the small town of Tetemara and the town itself. A two platoon task force is coming in from the east, on the far side of the bay, and it's mission is to secure the small town of Tombe. Weather: Hazy and daytime
Visibilty: 750 yards. Turn One: East: One platoon pushes to the edge of the jungle and begins to engage outlying defenders of Tombe. Both sides take light casualties. The other platoon stays in the jungle, trying to work to flank the defenders. West: All forces advance, no contact. Turn Two: East: We manage to destroy the first enemy squad, and the only one we've spotted so far. West: We advance, locating, and destroying an enemy outpost squad. We lose three men. All enemy forces, thus far, have been SNLF. Enemy: We take harrasment fire on both front. No losses. Turn Three: East: Two squads from one platoon, and the MG team from the other provide cover fire while the remaining forces move towards the outskirts of Tombe. Some defenders are killed. West: We advance on and discover 2 enemy mortar teams, and take both under fire, though neither is yet knocked out. Lead elements are nearly to the hill. Enemy: More fire exhanges with the second enemy squad. No losses. Turn Four: East: We destroy the second enemy squad and push into the village. A third enemy squad is located. West: We overrun the mortar's, and push to the edge of the jungle. The hill is in sight. Enemy: More harrassment fire on both flanks, and still no losses from it. Turn Five: East: The last squad is overrun and the village is secured. West: We push onto the hill and kill a sniper. Turn Six: Note - from this point, unless new forces arrive in the east, I'll only detail the west flank. We quickly take half the hill. An outlying squad from the village is spotted and brought under fire. Enemy: The one enemy squad quickly becomes six, and we start a duel between them and our lead MG team. Niether side takes losses. Turn Seven: We secure the hill and push on, towards the village. A large fight begins. We lose two men, but knock out a MG position and kill some of the enemy ourselves. *** The enemy covers a squad, trying to advance it. We lose one man to the cover fire, but about half the enemy squad goes down. Turn Eight: We surge forward, racing down the hill, in an agressive rush to close with the enemy. They seem suprised by this and we are able to complety destroy, or finish off, 4 enemy squads. *** The enemy begins to recover, and the platoon they have at the edge of Tetemara opens up, and 3 Marines fall. Turn Nine: Our agressive attack continues, though with less success. While we destroy one squad and mangle two more, we lose 14 men ourselves, and are still not into the outskirts of the village. *** The 3rd enemy platoon pushes into the fight, and in a murderous fire we lose 11 more men. Turn Ten: We keep attacking to keep the pressure on the enemy. While we lose three men, we destroy two squads, and start to push fresh men into the fray. Turn Eleven: We push into the village, overruning two more of the 2nd platoon's squads - only it's HQ squad is left. We also kill a mortar team. Five more Marines fall. *** The enemy keeps fighting hard and 4 more of our men fall. Turn Twelve: Most of the village is in our hands and we kill off three more enemy squad, but 12 more of our men fall. The enemy CP is under fire. *** We lose a man to sniper fire, but the sniper is also killed. Turn Thirteen: We lose one more man, but take the village, over-running the enemy CP and a mortar team. Results: USMC DV 1801 to 269. Losses: USMC 73 men
SNLF 221 men, 2 arty. The entire defending force was destroyed. Comments: I think I did well, though I wish I'd done a little better and not lost 28 men over a turn and a half! Except for that turn and a half I think I played close to a perfect game the rest of the way.

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
Post #: 1
- 9/8/2001 3:48:00 AM   
FrankyVas

Very nice, do you think you could post a map of the battle. It would help with the visualization. I really enjoy your reports. Do you take notes during your turns or write it all after the battle? Frank V.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 2
- 9/8/2001 8:43:00 AM   
Alexandra

As for maps, I don't know how well they'd work on the forum, nor how easy it would be to copy them here. But, the scen's I AAR are already with the game, at least so far. I haven't gotten to any of the one's I've dl'ed from some of the excellent sites that support SPWAW. So, you can always pop open the scen yourself, or it's map in the editor, to visualize. The reports I write half turn or so at a time. I'm still not fully happy with the way they read, it seems skimpy to me at times, so any advice on how to make them better is welcome. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 3
- 9/8/2001 9:06:00 AM   
smokstak2

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra:
As for maps, I don't know how well they'd work on the forum, nor how easy it would be to copy them here. But, the scen's I AAR are already with the game, at least so far. I haven't gotten to any of the one's I've dl'ed from some of the excellent sites that support SPWAW. So, you can always pop open the scen yourself, or it's map in the editor, to visualize. The reports I write half turn or so at a time. I'm still not fully happy with the way they read, it seems skimpy to me at times, so any advice on how to make them better is welcome. Alex
I am currently working one in first-person narrative style. I think it flows well so far. An example: instead of "T4: A bunker fires on our squad, killing 3 men" "Sgt Smith's squad was advancing toward its objective in the town, when suddenly, a hidden Japanese machine gun nest opened up, killing one man and wounding 2 others. SMith ordered his men to drop smoke and called in a fire mission from the 105 battery. I ordered Lt Jones' Shermans to move up in support. One of the Shermans crept up into firing position, firing 4 rounds of AP, destroying the bunker MEanwhile, in the south, 2nd platoon of Company C was still in a firefight with the dug in infantry squad...." or something like that. Maybe that helps?
Ciao,
-Tim

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> AAR - Taking Viru Harbor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI