Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I can't wait

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> I can't wait Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I can't wait - 2/29/2004 7:39:54 AM   
wflarry

Most people probably are not all that thrilled about a WWI strategic game.

I for one, have been infinitely fascinated with WWI ever since I bought and played the Avalon Hill game "The Guns of August" ~25 years ago. Had to play solo as nobody else was interested in the conflict, and the tall stacks of counters in every frontline hex made keeping track of things a chore.

The wonderful book - "A Short History of WWI" by the late John Stokesbury also increased my interest in this war.

I for one can't wait for this title to become available. Hope there are more like me out there...
Post #: 1
RE: I can't wait - 2/29/2004 5:49:51 PM   
wodin

I cant wait either.

A great book to read is The War the Infantry Knew by Capt Dunn.

A fantastic account of the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusilers.

Robert Graves and Seigfreed Sassoon where both in this Regiment.

Read it while you wait!

I wonder when the release date will be and also can we have some screen shots?

Wodin

(in reply to wflarry)
Post #: 2
RE: I can't wait - 3/8/2004 8:06:30 AM   
El_Rojo

The fun thing about a world war I game (well game wise), is that the sides of the conflict where more equally powered than WWII. And the balance doesn't shifts so strongly upside down as WWII. As far as my knowledge goes even till the end it wasn't sure who would win the war. Revolutions bringing the most of an end to the war.

El Rojo, armchair tactician.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russell

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: I can't wait - 3/25/2004 4:01:18 AM   
ShermanM4

I cant wait either! I have a couple of questions though. From reading other posts this looks like it will be similar to but not exactly like American Civil War right? Also, one thing I did not like about ACW was the game had no ability to match an Appomattox Court House surrender, will there be anything like that in Trench? I mean there was no way you could just strike the colors without quitting the game. Also, you talk about weapons production in Trench, in ACW there was weapons production, if you wanted to produce a better rifle than the musket you could produce Springfields, well the south never really built Springfields. They relied heavily on imported Lee Enfields and did copy the patent to build in their own smitthies, will Trench be so detailed that British will have Lee Enfield's, the Germans Mauser's, and so on? No matter what, these are really not big issues to me, I just want to see how much detail is going into this game. I think this is a great idea, and I hope you guys really put out a quality product. If its anything like ACW I know it will be awsome

thanks,
ShermanM4

"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

(in reply to El_Rojo)
Post #: 4
RE: I can't wait - 3/25/2004 4:19:37 AM   
sol_invictus

From what I know about WWI, it will be very different from ACW. I really liked ACW but WWI is a totally new engine. I too am looking forward to this game. I still have a copy of Avalon Hills Guns of August.

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 5
RE: I can't wait - 3/25/2004 11:34:27 AM   
*Lava*

Hi!

Indeed, this game uses a totally new engine and bears no resemblence what-so-ever to ACW. Here, you don't produce "weapons," you produce "forces." For example, through tech research you will be able to train up troops in assault functions or invent the tank. You can also upgrade existing weapons.. artillery and aircraft.

The kewl thing about this game is that it doesn't start mirred in the trenches. Hey, it may come to that, but not necessarily. Remember, the German army was a stones throw away from taking Paris in 1914.

Right now I think Frank is putting the final polishes on "Campaigns on the Danube." Testing has, therefore, come to a halt. But once "Campaigns" is released, I think you will see some rapid progress. Most of the basic gameplay "bugs" have been sorted out, so things will start getting serious real fast once work starts up again.

Ray (alias Lava)

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 6
RE: I can't wait - 3/25/2004 4:44:46 PM   
ShermanM4

quote:

Hi!

Indeed, this game uses a totally new engine and bears no resemblence what-so-ever to ACW. Here, you don't produce "weapons," you produce "forces." For example, through tech research you will be able to train up troops in assault functions or invent the tank. You can also upgrade existing weapons.. artillery and aircraft.

The kewl thing about this game is that it doesn't start mirred in the trenches. Hey, it may come to that, but not necessarily. Remember, the German army was a stones throw away from taking Paris in 1914.

Right now I think Frank is putting the final polishes on "Campaigns on the Danube." Testing has, therefore, come to a halt. But once "Campaigns" is released, I think you will see some rapid progress. Most of the basic gameplay "bugs" have been sorted out, so things will start getting serious real fast once work starts up again.

Ray (alias Lava)

Good to know, thanks Ray it sounds like a lot of effort will go in to making a detailed game.

(in reply to *Lava*)
Post #: 7
Lots of Effort - 3/25/2004 5:23:57 PM   
EricLarsen

ShermanM4,
Indeed a lot of effort goes into making a great game. The game has undergone quite an evolution from the first build, and it is undergoing another major change that will make it even better. All of this takes time, but I bet the wait will be worth it.
Eric

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 8
RE: Lots of Effort - 3/26/2004 12:21:41 AM   
ShermanM4

quote:

ShermanM4,
Indeed a lot of effort goes into making a great game. The game has undergone quite an evolution from the first build, and it is undergoing another major change that will make it even better. All of this takes time, but I bet the wait will be worth it.
Eric

Yes I agree the wait will be worth it. I guess what I was really wondering was will I care about what weapons my soldiers are carrying or not. In ACW it was kind of a let down that the Southern troops did not have Lee Enfields but not a game breaker. One of the things I liked about ACW, which is why I still play it, better weapon types could be built and they had an effect on the battlefield. It seems like the same amount of detail is going into trench, even if it is not like ACW. It is simply going into other places than where it went in ACW.

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 9
RE: I can't wait - 3/26/2004 2:51:32 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I cant wait either.

A great book to read is The War the Infantry Knew by Capt Dunn.

A fantastic account of the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusilers.

Robert Graves and Seigfreed Sassoon where both in this Regiment.

Read it while you wait!

I wonder when the release date will be and also can we have some screen shots?

Wodin

Have you read "Forgotten Victory" by Gary Sheffield? Fascinating book, particularly from a British perspective (you are from England?). It takes a hammer to many of the myths about the conflict. It seeks to rehabilitate the performance of the British Field Army, explaining the battlefield conditions that dictated how things worked, and how tactics and strategy evolved year by year. It also provides some support for a rehabilitation of Haig's reputation. I never used to think the war was that interesting because of the military stalemate, but it really was an exellent read, and sparked my interest a bit.

Regards,
IronDuke.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
Better Weapons - 3/26/2004 5:07:08 PM   
EricLarsen

ShermanM4,
One nice thing about The Great War is that individual weapons are not modeled as was done in ACW. As you gain the assault infantry bonus in R&D you then have to "train & equip" regular infantry units for a turn at which time they will gain a level of quality and gain the assault infantry bonus for combat. Everything is rather abstracted as far as combat strength goes, but it works well and avoids weird weapons assignments. Same with artillery and airpower, no specific guns or planes just gaining another new level of capability.
Eric

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> I can't wait Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI