Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

what is Titans of Steel??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> what is Titans of Steel?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/2/2004 9:37:07 PM   
TundraFox

i'm just curious how good this Titans game is! I see all the good reviews from gamesites, but I wanna get a feel from the gamers themselves. I've always been a big fan of strategy games like the C&C series, and I remember how kewl the very first MechWarrior games were(back when they had nearly no graphics, but kikass gameplay) before they started release the new series.
So i'm just wondering if this is that good??!! is it werth spendin' the $30 on it?!?!
ne replies would be appreciated!

TundraFox (aka- PYRO_GOD!)
Post #: 1
RE: what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/2/2004 9:55:11 PM   
tarendelcymir

quote:

ORIGINAL: TundraFox

i'm just curious how good this Titans game is! I see all the good reviews from gamesites, but I wanna get a feel from the gamers themselves. I've always been a big fan of strategy games like the C&C series, and I remember how kewl the very first MechWarrior games were(back when they had nearly no graphics, but kikass gameplay) before they started release the new series.
So i'm just wondering if this is that good??!! is it werth spendin' the $30 on it?!?!
ne replies would be appreciated!

If you like gameplay over graphics, you'll definitely like ToS. Although the graphics have gotten much better from the freeware version, it's still the gameplay that's been focused on. The game is quite different from pretty much any other strategy or 'mech-like' game, so it might take you some time to get used to, especially the time-based turn system, but it's very complex and challenging. Check out the forum topic on it for a lot more detail.

My recommendation is Titans of Steel is definitely worth the money.

We sometimes catch a window
A glimpse of what's beyond
Was it just imagination
Stringing us along?
More things than are dreamed about
Unseen and unexplained
We suspend our disbelief
And we are entertained

(in reply to TundraFox)
Post #: 2
RE: what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/3/2004 12:22:32 AM   
Sleeping_Dragon

It appears to be a straight-forward stradegy game on the surface that uses a nearly unique 'dual turn system'. But it delves into many other areas such as titan(mech) design/construction and RPG element with the jocks(pilots). Stop by the forums and poke around.

It's best selling points in my opinion are:

The AI is very capable (for an AI).. the AI doesn't cheat at all.
Tons of replayablility (SP and MP)
The in-game weapons/systems are very well balanced all having 'real' uses but none standing out as superior.

Biggest drawback is probably the graphics; not that they're bad, just basic.
It's a thinking game, not a click and shoot while looking at the pretty colors

This is one of the only two games where various versions have ever held my attention on and off for extreme periods of time (~10yrs?), the other is Civ (although Civ3 just didn't have the full 'feel' for me).

And if you do some shopping around you can find if for much cheaper then $30.00

< Message edited by Sleeping_Dragon -- 3/2/2004 5:27:05 PM >

Power does not corrupt; It merely attracts the corruptable.

AKA: Bblue

(in reply to TundraFox)
Post #: 3
RE: what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/3/2004 4:07:04 AM   
Tactics

It's on sale at Fry's for $9.99.

(in reply to Sleeping_Dragon)
Post #: 4
RE: what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/3/2004 5:20:15 PM   
TundraFox

Thanks all for the quik replies. my birthday is comin up so I'll go ahed and get it.
I found it on Pricegrabbers.com for $9.27. I tryed to download the freeware from rosarystudios.com, the file was corrupted so watch out.

thanks all,

TundraFox (aka- PYRO_GOD!)

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 5
RE: what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/3/2004 6:39:42 PM   
Pippin

Yes, there are some older freeware versions around. I did buy ToS some time ago, but I have to admit I haven’t got to veteran level yet. Still doing some of the basics till I get a more grasp on the engine.

It is true that the graphics fall quite short in this game, but it seems the game is geared for more of a strategist player. It is nice that there came a little booklet with the box too, though I wish a little more info had been supplied. But then again, the way most games are these days, your lucky to even get 1 page on how to install.

You may want to browse the ToS forum for a bit. BTW, I have seen ToS in the $5.99 (US) bargain bin two weeks ago or so. So even if you are a cheap-skate, there isn’t an excuse now if this kind of game is up your alley.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to TundraFox)
Post #: 6
RE: what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/20/2004 11:47:51 PM   
rosary

quote:

ORIGINAL: TundraFox

I tryed to download the freeware from rosarystudios.com, the file was corrupted so watch out.

thanks all,

Yes, and that has been fixed.

(in reply to TundraFox)
Post #: 7
RE: what is Titans of Steel?? - 3/21/2004 2:10:14 AM   
Hertston

Great game that really could do with a major graphics overall in the next version/sequel. I'll always favour gameplay over graphics, but in this case it really is quite hard to see what's going on at times, and it would be nice for Titans to have better visual "personalities".

ToS with Massive Assault style graphics would have been absolutely awesome.

(in reply to rosary)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> what is Titans of Steel?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI