Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mixed rifle concept

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mixed rifle concept Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 2:15:02 PM   
RockinHarry

Hi there,

would like to hear some opinions on the Mixed rifle concept:

Purpose: The current SPWAW game system produces a high degree of suppression for every shot that an infantry unit fires at an enemy infantry unit. Normally if one desires to lessen the effects of suppression in the game, one could tweak the preferences (Rout/Rally setting), but this then works for all units in the game, not just the infantry. Normally an infantry unit has upto 4 weapons available to shoot at another infantry unit (diregarding non infantry units for this topic). Dependent upon range itīs mostly the slot1 primary infantry weapon (any common rifle) and slot2 secondary weapon (mostly LMG). For each shot fired from these weapons, normally 2-3 suppression points are added to the attacked infantry (not regarding other factors that might cause additional suppression, like losses, ect.). This mounts to very high suppression quickly, if a number of units use both weapons (slot1 rifle / slot2 LMG) on the attacked infantry unit repeatedly. It too oftentimes happens f.e that dug-in infantry is routed out of its entrenchments, by accumulating dozens of suppression points and finally,..receiving just a single kill causes the unit to pull back!

As said, I speak of suppression accumulated by medium to long range infantry shooting and NOT artillery ect.!

The effects of shots are resolved (suppression+possible kills) for each weapon slot, one after another. No news you say.

However, something interesting actually happens all the time mostly unnoticed: Assuming the first shot (Rifles slot1) makes a moving enemy infantry unit to get pinned, so what happens with the following shot (LMG slot2)?! The shot is resolved on the "pinned" unit with much less effect! Normally one would think that an infantry squad would "volley" fire its infantry weapons and not one after another. Why should the most effective squad weapon (the LMG) fire, when the "target" can not be effectively hit anymore?
Well thatīs how SPWAW works, as itīs not a real time game, so the slot2 LMG mostly causes just 2-3 more suppression points, instead of doing the damage you would expect from this weapon, may it be a BAR or a MG42.

So the net effect in the game is that the LMG in slot2 does little and lots of unnecessary suppression is caused with above mentioned unrealistic effects!

Well, one solution would be to abandon the slot2 LMG weapon and merge it into a new weapon that resembles a rifle and LMG combined, with approriate firepower and range and then put into slot1! Unfortunately we canīt really finetune this new weapon with regard to the single real weapons performances. Example: Assuming a US infantry unit with crew of 10 has 9 M1 Garand rifles and 1 Bar LMG combined into a single weapon. Would it have considerable more or less firepower than a german squad of 10 with 9 K98k rifles and 1 LMG MG42??

I found that just raising HE kill for the combined (from now on "Mixed") weapon to 2, while preserving accuracy/range ect. ratings, is sufficient to simulate the effects of volley fire with rifles and LMG combined. That means higher probable kills with the first shot, but overall less suppression. Off course it depends still upon several factors, like terrain, enemy unit cautiously moving or moving fast ect. on how many kills can be achieved. The range is from no effect (targeted unit rolls a "saving throw"), to "wiping out" (enemy unit caught in the open while moving full speed!). The effect is similar to an (semi) automatic rifle like M1 Garand or SVT40 fired by 10 guys in volley fire. In fact the "Mixed" weapon has the same firepower/stats like the M1 Garand. The problem is, when you raise HE kill to say 3, then kills raise to unacceptable levels!

With the current unified "mixed" weapon stats, it means that all nations that use the "Mixed" weapon for infantry units in slot1 have roughly the same squad firepower than US squads equipped with the M1 Garand! However, other factors play a large role too! For example experience and leader skills, as well as whether the unit is given some "fire control" or even "range finder" ratings!

Ok. I play tested the new "Mixed" weapon and the overall effect is, dependent upon other unit skills/stats, that enemy infantry losses are roughly the same, but the kill range is wider! Also overall suppression is decreased, helping dug in units to hold their ground longer and help advancing units to keep moving! An additional effects is that infantry battles play almost twice as fast and chances for units to get into close combat are increased.J

The whole thing, as said is experimental and the weapons will only be available to scenario designers, if they wish to try this alternative method.

Donīt know whether many people would be willing to abandon their (largely ineffective) slot 2 MG42/BAR/Bren...or whatever LMG, but itīs worth a try for user made scenarios at least.

Note: Turn based games like Combat Leader uses the "Mixed/Volley/Volume" like fire resolution as well as "Combat Mission", which, real time though, computes fire effects of squad weapons (rifle/LMG/sub machine gun) as single volley.

< Message edited by RockinHarry -- 3/3/2004 12:16:14 PM >

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
Post #: 1
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 2:28:52 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

Hi there,

would like to hear some opinions on the Mixed rifle concept:

Purpose: The current SPWAW game system produces a high degree of suppression for every shot that an infantry unit fires at an enemy infantry unit. Normally if one desires to lessen the effects of suppression in the game, one could tweak the preferences (Rout/Rally setting), but this then works for all units in the game, not just the infantry. Normally an infantry unit has upto 4 weapons available to shoot at another infantry unit (diregarding non infantry units for this topic). Dependent upon range itīs mostly the slot1 primary infantry weapon (any common rifle) and slot2 secondary weapon (mostly LMG). For each shot fired from these weapons, normally 2-3 suppression points are added to the attacked infantry (not regarding other factors that might cause additional suppression, like losses, ect.). This mounts to very high suppression quickly, if a number of units use both weapons (slot1 rifle / slot2 LMG) on the attacked infantry unit repeatedly. It too oftentimes happens f.e that dug-in infantry is routed out of its entrenchments, by accumulating dozens of suppression points and finally,..receiving just a single kill causes the unit to pull back!

As said, I speak of suppression accumulated by medium to long range infantry shooting and NOT artillery ect.!

The effects of shots are resolved (suppression+possible kills) for each weapon slot, one after another. No news you say.

However, something interesting actually happens all the time mostly unnoticed: Assuming the first shot (Rifles slot1) makes a moving enemy infantry unit to get pinned, so what happens with the following shot (LMG slot2)?! The shot is resolved on the "pinned" unit with much less effect! Normally one would think that an infantry squad would "volley" fire its infantry weapons and not one after another. Why should the most effective squad weapon (the LMG) fire, when the "target" can not be effectively hit anymore?
Well thatīs how SPWAW works, as itīs not a real time game, so the slot2 LMG mostly causes just 2-3 more suppression points, instead of doing the damage you would expect from this weapon, may it be a BAR or a MG42.

So the net effect in the game is that the LMG in slot2 does little and lots of unnecessary suppression is caused with above mentioned unrealistic effects!

Well, one solution would be to abandon the slot2 LMG weapon and merge it into a new weapon that resembles a rifle and LMG combined, with approriate firepower and range and then put into slot1! Unfortunately we canīt really finetune this new weapon with regard to the single real weapons performances. Example: Assuming a US infantry unit with crew of 10 has 9 M1 Garand rifles and 1 Bar LMG combined into a single weapon. Would it have considerable more or less firepower than a german squad of 10 with 9 K98k rifles and 1 LMG MG42??

I found that just raising HE kill for the combined (from now on "Mixed") weapon to 2, while preserving accuracy/range ect. ratings, is sufficient to simulate the effects of volley fire with rifles and LMG combined. That means higher probable kills with the first shot, but overall less suppression. Off course it depends still upon several factors, like terrain, enemy unit cautiously moving or moving fast ect. on how many kills can be achieved. The range is from no effect (targeted unit rolls a "saving throw"), to "wiping out" (enemy unit caught in the open while moving full speed!). The effect is similar to an (semi) automatic rifle like M1 Garand or SVT40 fired by 10 guys in volley fire. In fact the "Mixed" weapon has the same firepower/stats like the M1 Garand. The problem is, when you raise HE kill to say 3, then kills raise to unacceptable levels!

With the current unified "mixed" weapon stats, it means that all nations that use the "Mixed" weapon for infantry units in slot1 have roughly the same squad firepower than US squads equipped with the M1 Garand! However, other factors play a large role too! For example experience and leader skills, as well as whether the unit is given some "fire control" or even "range finder" ratings!

Ok. I play tested the new "Mixed" weapon and the overall effect is, dependent upon other unit skills/stats, that enemy infantry losses are roughly the same, but the kill range is wider! Also overall suppression is decreased, helping dug in units to hold their ground longer and help advancing units to keep moving! An additional effects is that infantry battles play almost twice as fast and chances for units to get into close combat are increased.J

The whole thing, as said is experimental and the weapons will only be available to scenario designers, if they wish to try this alternative method.

Donīt know whether many people would be willing to abandon their (largely ineffective) slot 2 MG42/BAR/Bren...or whatever LMG, but itīs worth a try for user made scenarios at least.

Note: Turn based games like Combat Leader uses the "Mixed/Volley/Volume" like fire resolution as well as "Combat Mission", which, real time though, computes fire effects of squad weapons (rifle/LMG/sub machine gun) as single volley.

What about the range of this strange combo? MGs can fire out more effectively to a larger range than rifles (or at least suppress effectively). If you as the SL wantīs your MG to open fire first,might I suggest you disable the slot 1 weapons instead.
Close combat and bayonet fighting was relatively rare in the ETO. What does that tell you?

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 2
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 2:50:30 PM   
Voriax

I'll think about this a bit more, but somehow I get the feeling that the lmg problem and this rifle suggestion are a result of whining from people who believe 'Band of Brothers' series is a documentary.
Or to put it other way, trying to 'fix' a nonexisting problem. Game works nicely even without these changes, so why repair things that aren't broken?

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 3
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 2:52:17 PM   
harlekwin

Indeed. Far too many people have this idea that point fire was the prime killer in WW2. WW2 like WW1 was primarily an arty war, but that just ain't as sexy as pretending everybody is defending the alamo......
quote:

ORIGINAL: Voriax

I'll think about this a bit more, but somehow I get the feeling that the lmg problem and this rifle suggestion are a result of whining from people who believe 'Band of Brothers' series is a documentary.
Or to put it other way, trying to 'fix' a nonexisting problem. Game works nicely even without these changes, so why repair things that aren't broken?

Voriax

$ociali$m-from those who will to those who won't.....

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 4
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 3:43:47 PM   
Belisarius

quote:

Voriax

Heh, how can one look at BoB and *not* get the picture of what artillery does to you? Sleep through all episodes but the 2 first and 2 last ones?

Anyway, I like the MGs in 8.01. Leave them as they are.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 5
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:10:18 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen
If you as the SL wantīs your MG to open fire first,might I suggest you disable the slot 1 weapons instead.

Ditto.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

Post #: 6
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:11:16 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

2nd ditto.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 7
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:11:56 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: harlekwin

Indeed. Far too many people have this idea that point fire was the prime killer in WW2. WW2 like WW1 was primarily an arty war, but that just ain't as sexy as pretending everybody is defending the alamo......

3rd ditto.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:13:06 PM   
harlekwin

Yeah keke but I respect that Harry is here.

The fact is that changes like he wants could be discussed freely and without the resentment making changes like the .30 cal are engendering behind closed doors.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 9
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:18:31 PM   
JJKettunen

I don't know how it is done, but both H2H and especially SPWW2 deals with suppression in a way that defending troops won't leave their good defensive positions as easily as in SPWAW. This feature should be in SPWAW, not überkilling volleys...

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 10
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:20:18 PM   
Voriax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

[ Sleep through all episodes but the 2 first and 2 last ones?

Heh, actually I'm not sure if I've even seen the last episode....that series was aired twice here in Finland and both times I watched it if I remembered and had nothing better to do. Maybe that's why I don't understand why quite a few people soil their pants due to excitement when that series is mentioned.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 11
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:20:31 PM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

I don't know how it is done, but both H2H and especially SPWW2 deals with suppression in a way that defending troops won't leave their good defensive positions as easily as in SPWAW. This feature should be in SPWAW, not überkilling volleys...

Oh I wholeheartedly agree.

My point in the above was merely to highlight why such changes need discussed and why people are now enpassioned about them not agreeing with uberkilling at all.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 12
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 4:27:31 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

Heh, actually I'm not sure if I've even seen the last episode....that series was aired twice here in Finland and both times I watched it if I remembered and had nothing better to do. Maybe that's why I don't understand why quite a few people soil their pants due to excitement when that series is mentioned.

After all the hype I saw on several forums, I was quite dissapointed by the series. I liked the first two episodes, but then it became just boring.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 13
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 5:08:08 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

RockinHarry has a point. Many times in the course of a game I have seen my LMG's not only be less effective because the enemy unit went to ground after being hit by rifle fire, but in some cases not fire at all. Then this "pinned" unit returns fire and the rest is history. The concept has some merrits and I for one was thinking about doing the same thing in a different way. I was thinking about splitting the squads into two components. LMG team, and rifle section. For example a 9 man German squad might look like this;
Slot 1 Slot 2 Slot 3
LMG sec, 1-MG-34/42 LMG, 2- Kar 98 grenades total 3 men
Rifle sec, Kar 98 MP-40 grenades total 6 men

A US squad:

Bar sec, BAR Garand grenades total 2 men
Rifle sec, Garand Tompson grenades total 10 men

Now this creates another problem. The LMG units with so few men become brittle. Also it litterally would doubble the infantry units on board for any give scenario.

Pro; It would give players more flexability, and the LMG's would always be in play for a first shot on a moveing unit. Also the ranges of the different weapons would not have to be "melded" into one compromised range. Another bennefit is that this would free up a slot in the rifle sec letting squads carry another weapon while keeping their grenades.

Well that's my two cents on the subject, and although thats all the above dribble may be worth I alway thought that, that is what these Forum's are for , the exchange of IDEAS to improve this fine game.

KED

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 14
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 5:12:38 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevin E. Duguay
...that is what these Forum's are for , the exchange of IDEAS to improve this fine game.

Indeed. It's good to see RockinHarry post his ideas for public display instead of all the secrecy which seems to dominate the OOB-work.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 15
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/3/2004 6:04:01 PM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

quote:

...that is what these Forum's are for , the exchange of IDEAS to improve this fine game.

Indeed. It's good to see RockinHarry post his ideas for public display instead of all the secrecy which seems to dominate the OOB-work.

Agreed. I have just become highly critical as of late

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 3/3/2004 4:04:47 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 16
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/5/2004 5:48:09 PM   
RockinHarry

thanks all, Iīve not yet come to prepare the example files, compatible with V7.11. Iīll also answer in more detail next week coming, as I feel like a hunted deer in internet cafe. Time is running so fast here.

RockinHarry in the web:

Post #: 17
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/6/2004 10:03:14 AM   
Igor

Kevin, the two man LMG teams (which the Nationalist Chinese OOB uses, btw) aren't a very good representation of how the automatic weapons were used in most armies. They were never told to go wander off away from the riflemen, because either they or the rifles were support weapons.

Frankly, most armies misused their automatic weapons; assigning them to support the rifles, which means that they really belong in the number two slot firing second. Only the Germans made a doctrinal point of giving the best shot in the squad the MG34 or 42, and training the riflemen to support him. If you want to model that, off the top of my head it seems that the best way is to put the LMG in slot 1, and put the rifles in slot 2...though that might raise game mechanics problems with getting the right amount of rifle fire.

Post #: 18
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/7/2004 7:23:47 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Igor,
It was something I toyed with but found to be impractical for your above stated reasons. Players would almost have to keep the two units of their squads either together in the same hex of at least as close together as possible. People not sure about historical tactics could end up with a bunch of 2 man LMG team all over the place and no where near their parent units. Just think about how hard it is to keep your platoons together inside a company formation, now double the units!! Nightmare!! Might work in a very small scenario but anything bigger than a few platoons? Forget it!

KED

(in reply to Igor)
Post #: 19
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/7/2004 7:45:32 PM   
Charles2222

This sort of thing ought to be interesting come CL, because CL will have 6 weapons slots. I'm curious if each weapon will have men dedicated to them? Of course if there's only one LMG man, and gets knocked out, perhaps a rifle man switches to the LMG. I'm not sure CL is going to be 'that' detailed.

Post #: 20
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/7/2004 8:16:58 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

This sort of thing ought to be interesting come CL, because CL will have 6 weapons slots. I'm curious if each weapon will have men dedicated to them? Of course if there's only one LMG man, and gets knocked out, perhaps a rifle man switches to the LMG. I'm not sure CL is going to be 'that' detailed.

CM is that detailed.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 21
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/8/2004 1:12:45 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

quote:

CM is that detailed.

After I wrote that post, I thought it could be easily misunderstood, so now I'll clarify. I think in SPWAW, when one man is lost in the squad, the LMG NEVER gets unmanned. IOW, if you pretend the lost man was an LMG, a rifleman always takes his place, unless there's only one man left when losses are tallied, which, if CL did 'what I said' on the prior post, it would be nothing new. So, having said that, what I meant was that the detail would come in where there were individual soldiers names assigned to each gun. If Pvt. Biggles if manning a rifle and one of his LMG mate goes down, then Biggles wouldn't show as rifle anymore, but as the LMG man. Hmm, seems like adding individual names to guns, I'm guessing, isn't worth the return. Perhaps it would only be worth it if there was a chance the men were pinned down enough that nobody could reach the LMG where it had fallen. I don't think CL will be 'that' complex is what I meant, where you have a large database just for random names to guns.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 22
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/8/2004 5:32:14 PM   
RockinHarry

Ok, hereīs test scens 344 and 345, as well as tweaked V7.11 OOBs for germany and soviet union. These OOBs only have the "Mixed Rifle/LMG" and "Bayonet" weapons added to unused weapon slots and wonīt hurt any V7.11 compatible scenarios.

I had planned to make some dedicated sound sets for the "new" weapons, but have not come to it yet. Iīll provide them at a later time.

Scen 344 has a reinforced german 1941 infantry platoon dug in, defending vs a soviet reinforced infantry company (no tank support). Both sides have the "Mixed Rifle" substituting the standard rifle in slot1 and the slot2 LMG is removed (odd weapon might show up now, but it has no ammo, so donīt bother!). Standard historic ratings (experience/morale) for 1941 are in effect.

Play germans or russians if you like and see how it plays.

Scen 345 is the same as 344, but uses standard weapon configuration (slot1=rifle, slot2=LMG).

Play both scens subsequentially and repeatedly and note any differences in "game play" please!

as always...file needs to be renamed to *.zip extension so it can be unzipped! (I hate this procedure... )

Attachment (1)

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 23
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/8/2004 5:34:24 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Igor,
It was something I toyed with but found to be impractical for your above stated reasons. Players would almost have to keep the two units of their squads either together in the same hex of at least as close together as possible. People not sure about historical tactics could end up with a bunch of 2 man LMG team all over the place and no where near their parent units. Just think about how hard it is to keep your platoons together inside a company formation, now double the units!! Nightmare!! Might work in a very small scenario but anything bigger than a few platoons? Forget it!

Key Kevin, your idea is worth to try! Would you provide us with some test scenario of yours? Might be that couple of other gamne stats need to be tweaked to get your idea working better!

RockinHarry in the web:

Post #: 24
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/8/2004 5:36:39 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

quote:

CM is that detailed.

Keke..do you mean CM=Combat Mission, or Combat Leader=CL (as Charles_22 meant)?

While we are on the matter, how well do you think deals the Combat Mission (battlefront.com) game with the squad LMG?

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 25
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/8/2004 5:46:20 PM   
Kevin E. Duguay

RochinHarry,

I'll try to whip a "little" something up for your entertainment. But when I do , how do I get it into your hands? Make a suggestion or send me instructions and I will follow!!

KED

Post #: 26
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/8/2004 8:24:43 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

Keke..do you mean CM=Combat Mission, or Combat Leader=CL (as Charles_22 meant)?

While we are on the matter, how well do you think deals the Combat Mission (battlefront.com) game with the squad LMG?

CM = Combat Mission

It has the combined firepower you are looking for...And no, its not that detailed as having individual men manning individual weapons. When losses mount squads tend to keep most valuable weapons, like LMGs, over rifles and such.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

Post #: 27
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/9/2004 5:49:29 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

I have something whipped up, now I have to deliver it. How?

KED

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 28
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/9/2004 7:13:34 AM   
Wild Bill

Don't ever go anywhere, Harry. Your innovativeness is much needed in this community. You've added so many good things to this game!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 29
RE: Mixed rifle concept - 3/9/2004 11:56:03 PM   
Tombstone

So the practical results of this mixed rifle concept will be a tendancy to do more casualties to units on the move, and that infantry will tend to inflict less overall suppression on other units. Right? Damn, it sounds like a no brainer. What are the general thoughts about infantry combat in SPWAW right now? It often feels like hammering away with small arms fire until the unit retreats, then... easy kill. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it means that a couple of squads have difficulty pushing a single entrenched squad out of its position. I guess it degenerates once you get a lot of units in the field though, cause my 20 infantry units can concentrate their fire on 2 squads and make them retreat, then I can occupy those positions and my 20 infantry squads can massacre 20 entrenched units along a line. This mixed rifle thing would help to mitigate this... man it sounds like such a good idea. THEN you can make assault squads that have more weapon slots full and it will simulate much more offensive infantry squads that would have a REAL effect when used on the offensive.

Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mixed rifle concept Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI