Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What is a Kurki?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What is a Kurki? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is a Kurki? - 9/14/2001 2:57:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

The Ghurka units in the DF use a weapon called a 'kurki'. Its sound effect sounds like water runnning or horses walking. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks! Eric Maietta

Post #: 1
- 9/14/2001 5:05:00 AM   
G Van Horne

I know that the Ghurkas (Ghorka) used a curved blade called the khukuri. I'm not sure about the sound effect tho. More info at http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/khukuri.htm Garth

What's the weight of a pull-thru?

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 2
- 9/14/2001 9:49:00 AM   
Drex

I've heard the knife carried by the Gurkhas called the "Kukri"(see India Britannica by Moorhouse,pg.228)

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 3
- 9/15/2001 8:18:00 PM   
skukko

KURKI is a long-necked bird in northern Europe by Finnish language. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

Post #: 4
- 9/16/2001 6:51:00 AM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by skukko:
KURKI is a long-necked bird in northern Europe by Finnish language. mosh
Does this mean that the Ghurkas are giving someone the 'bird'.

Post #: 5
- 9/16/2001 10:13:00 AM   
Jasper

quote:

Originally posted by AbsntMndedProf:
The Ghurka units in the DF use a weapon called a 'kurki'. Its sound effect sounds like water runnning or horses walking. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks! Eric Maietta
Kurki is actually a knife used by a Ghurka. It is shape like a boomarang (the one used by the Australia). It is acutally referring to some sort of crane which is the meaning to the word. They are still used todate. Last saw action in 1982 in the Falkland war. When two Ghurkas are easing themself when they are surprised by afew Argentine troops. As they are easing themself, they had placed their rifles somewhere, so they drew their kurki and charged at them. The Argentine troops ran......because rurmours said that Ghurka used thsoe to chop down their enemy head. Maybe that describe to you how sharp is that knife. The knife is not an effective weapon for thrusting but very good in shape for slashing. I have one in my house, my scanner is too small to scan it in.

Post #: 6
- 9/16/2001 10:29:00 AM   
Bing

I thought a Kurki was a small Welsh dog ???? Signed, The Last Remaining Sober Welshman

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 7
- 9/16/2001 10:42:00 AM   
deggo

We'd probably be better off not knowing exactly what it sounded like

Scott

Post #: 8
- 9/16/2001 3:34:00 PM   
skukko

KUKRI not KURKI

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

Post #: 9
- 9/16/2001 9:36:00 PM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by skukko:
KUKRI not KURKI
I like Kurki better. Has a certain ring to it, don't you think? I'm sure it is a small Welsh dog. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

Post #: 10
- 9/16/2001 10:09:00 PM   
AJVa

quote:

Originally posted by Bing:
I like Kurki better. Has a certain ring to it, don't you think? I'm sure it is a small Welsh dog. Bing

Welsh gorgi perhaps [ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: AJV ]

Post #: 11
- 9/16/2001 10:46:00 PM   
Drex

The dog is the Welsh "corgy" not to be confused with the slashing knife of the Gurkhas, the"kukri".

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 12
- 9/16/2001 11:27:00 PM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by Drex:
The dog is the Welsh "corgy" not to be confused with the slashing knife of the Gurkhas, the"kukri".
Nope. Kurki is a small Welsh dog. I'm a Welshman, I'm sure that's what it is. Bing

Post #: 13
- 9/17/2001 1:02:00 AM   
Drex

Far be it for me to argue with a Man from Harlech. Perhaps there are separate breeds here but we are getting off topic.

quote:

Post #: 14
- 9/17/2001 9:17:00 AM   
swagman

quote:

Originally posted by Casper:
Kurki is actually a knife used by a Ghurka. They are still used todate. Last saw action in 1982 in the Falkland war. When two Ghurkas are easing themself when they are surprised by afew Argentine troops.
Is this the reason for the sound?...easing yourself does sound like running water as prof suggests but

Post #: 15
- 9/18/2001 6:09:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

Perhaps the soliders facing the Kurki lost control of their bodily functions .. that could account for the sound of horses walking as well as the sound of running water

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

Post #: 16
- 9/18/2001 8:45:00 PM   
11Bravo

So we agree that the weapon is a small dog and it makes a sound like running water when it is used? I am forming a picture in my mind, but its not pretty...

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

Post #: 17
- 9/19/2001 12:21:00 AM   
Bing

Yes. You see, the Welsh Kurki has very sharp teeth and is extremely aggressive. He has been trained for centuries to chase rats in the slag heaps at the coal mines. When he bites a rat, sometimes he misses and instead chomps down on a piece of coal. Being a mild abrasive, the chunk of coal sharpens the kurki's teeth. You would not want to meet this character in a dark alley. But then who would want to meet any Welshman in a dark alley? Bing

Post #: 18
- 9/19/2001 10:08:00 AM   
Major Destruction

The sound of horses is due to an OOB error. My mistake. Sorry. Originally the silent weapons sounded the same s a rifle- it's coded. So I assigned sound 34 since it was not used for any other weapon. As time passed, sounds 33 and 35 were assigned to horse teams but 34 was left empty.
This is the reason why sometimes your teams have no sound- the game is using sound 34 which is silent. Unfortunately those silent weapons also access sounds 33 and 35. Ideally, those weapons such as the kukri, the bow and arrow, the pointed stick and those silenced guns should own their own sounds but until those sounds are developed and assigned to the appropriate weapons, any weapon with sound 34 should be reassigned to some new unused sound file and the sounds in 33 should be copied and pasted to sound 34. I hope you will find that this is fixed in the v7 OOB's As for the Welsh dog, when Wales gets it's own OOB, I'll be the first one to recommend this unique and intriguing weapon.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What is a Kurki? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI