Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

as such

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> as such Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
as such - 3/4/2004 8:54:33 PM   
Rhodan

Hi guys,

There is something I have to get of my chest.

I suppose I am one of those "little guys", although I have an interest in WWII I am not that adept at crunching numbers as some of you are. My general knowledge of vehicles and weapons is adequate but it is a passing interest. I miss the indepth detail that a number of you so easily wield. Similar with this game, even though I played SP and SPWaW for years I am not as familar with all the little details as others are.

That's ok, you can't excell in everything you do I suppose and while I get my ass wooped in most ( if not all -lol-) PBEM games I played, I throughly enjoyed every game I played. The AI still suprises me, I still run into units I have not seen before and am in awe of the likes of Wild Bill and the apparent ease with which he and many like him whip out these wonderful scenarios.

Too, this very messageboard has been a source of great entrainment , especially the last year or so, ever since I came back from unvoluntary retirement. I had many a chuckle over the antics and posts from Jess and Goblin , and all those others in the M4 and **** camps :) I even felt a measure of pride for a while to see a number among you use the banners I had made. Not to mention all the help and insight I have received on this board. In many ways SPWaW -was- this board for me. I dont think I posted that much, I did enjoy watching the banter and soaked up all the tips.

I am sorry to say that pleasure has totally disappeared. Where as once upon a time I held this messageboard up as a way how people could interact with one another, even if they disagreed, I now feel things have gone totally the opposite way. I had a small absence for a while, and returned right after that whole hack episode. I saw a number of names I had not seen before , a few that did look familar but what I most of all found was a mentality that doesnt come close to what I was used to.

Instead of a boisterous bunch of men ( and women ofcourse, Alexandra's AAR's I soak up) having a good time I am now witnessing behaviour that does not show much in the way of respect or even basic courtesy towards one another. Agreed it is a small group but it would appear this small group is holding this forum hostage with the way they choose to communicate. I am not talking about who is right and who is not, but the way how these points are being brought across.

I dont wish to lament too much on what is going on, all I know is that I will go do something else with the time I usually spendt reading this board until the air has cleaned up and people know how to talk with each other again with having to result to petty behaviour. I do not make this post as a threat , nor as some form or blackmail but I know there are more like me out there , reading this board and having difficulty believing what their eyes see. I only thought it was more then fair to let these 'warring factions' know there is another group out there that has to witness how something they enjoy is being torn to pieces.

Until later.

Rhodan

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]
Post #: 1
RE: as such - 3/4/2004 9:06:22 PM   
Rune Iversen

We are hardly interlopers or unknown men. Most of us has been around for years. Quite a lot of us has worked/played with WaW at one time or another and then left it again.

If you really want to draw a parallel you could compare us with the prodigal son returning to the family farm and wondering why there is a bordello there instead.

< Message edited by Rune Iversen -- 3/4/2004 7:04:21 PM >

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to Rhodan)
Post #: 2
RE: as such - 3/4/2004 9:07:04 PM   
FNG

As a frequent reader/infrequent poster, I have to thank Rhodan for articulating some of what I've been thinking.

Cheers mate.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Rhodan)
Post #: 3
RE: as such - 3/4/2004 10:35:46 PM   
Orzel Bialy

Good to see you again Rhodan. Things are a bit stormy these days...but that's the cycle of life for ya.

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 4
RE: as such - 3/5/2004 2:43:32 PM   
Warrior2

I've watched various controversies come and go in our Forums since I joined in November 2000, and I'm still here. Speaking for myself, at times I've been nice, and other times nasty. If I ran every time angry words were spoken, I'd have left my wife long ago!

< Message edited by Warrior -- 3/5/2004 7:41:19 AM >

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 5
RE: as such - 3/5/2004 4:11:42 PM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warrior

Speaking for myself, at times I've been nice, and other times nasty.

Who? You? Naahh....Gavris is still looking to have your home address: he would like to whisper you some little words face to face...

< Message edited by Resisti -- 3/5/2004 3:08:43 PM >

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 6
RE: as such - 3/5/2004 9:08:05 PM   
Huffy

Just my thought on the subject....maybe they/we all are just getting more confrontable with each other....I mean....just like at a work place ..or maybe a favorite bar....at first you kinda mince words,have fun with a limit,...bite your tounge. When you get around the people more and more...or interact with them...you do things a little different,...maybe say harsher things....but in the end still get along...just on a different plain so to speak.
Just a thought....
Take care all,
Huffy

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 7
RE: as such - 3/6/2004 12:11:30 PM   
Rhodan

I think a small explanation is in order. I have no problems whatsoever with anyone disagreeing with anyone. There have been plenty of times I disagreed with certain sentiments and indeed I am disagreeing with what I had to witness here lately. However, for me personally that does not mean I go out and insult people on a personal level. Too I dont subscribe to this 'confronting' theory, perhaps my friendships are treated differently but the longer I know my friends the more respect I have for them and I certainly do not feel the need to trample on them or their work, regardless of the fact if I appreciate their work or not....because it was not b]my work.

Again personally speaking, if i think I can do a job better I thank them for the effort and if the tools are available to me I use them to improve on their work. What I can't see myself doing is declaring myself a St George on a holy crusade to kill whatever evil dragon needs slaying...especially not in this particular situation where I did not pay a single dime for the software nor for the updates that are brought to me by the hard labor of others...again regardless of the fact if I agree with their views or not.

I've seen this game go through so many incarnations and every time someone disagrees with it's current state and everytime someone else will pick up the tools to show their views on SPWAW. If anything it is that flexibility that keeps this game alive, otherwise it had long ago been thrown on the pile of same-old same-old software. Now if this version is not to your liking perhaps 8.5 will and if not that then version 9 will and if you don't like it altogether and cannot find any appreciation for the work of others, perhaps it is time to give other software a second look.

..and if I cant find appreciation for a number of words spoken on this board, it is time I give other boards a second look.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/VCFIREFLY.txt[/img]

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 8
RE: as such - 3/6/2004 5:56:29 PM   
Charles2222

A fascinating take Rhodan. I will, quite the contrary, tell you that the period you liked, was one I haven't liked very much, as I much preferred the prior period. For some reason or another I'm more into the general informational period where we were discovering SPWAW and so on. The banter I've seen while somewhat amusing got old real fast for me, and I never got into the act. It seems to have sub-sided lately, but there was a time when virtually all the posts were taunt posts and no informational ones, making for something of a forum dedicated to taunts. You have a lot of taunt posts and it really demeans the purpose of the forum IMO. If they kept it to 2 or 3 active threads that would be just fine, but to see so many to be just another taunt thread does rub me the wrong way.

Actually, when you really think about it, I bet most people prefer the SPWAW Informational Age to the Taunt Age, but some of the Taunt Age probably only comes out because the Informational Age is so dry at a given moment. CL will go through the same thing. there'll be lots of useful talk for at least a year, adn then it'll delve into taunts, which hopefully by that time can be disciplined into a much smaller amount of threads.

(in reply to Rhodan)
Post #: 9
RE: as such - 3/6/2004 8:24:56 PM   
Tombstone

Charles, you know you love being contrary... admit it. I know I've been around here long enough that I don't 100% connect names from today to names from 3 years ago! If I remember correctly though, I've been in many an argument about various things with you (Charles) over the years. Although I make a serious effort at keeping my commo appropriate and respectful. There's a little bit of taunt in anything that happens over that period of time eh? Some of the vibe here lately hasn't been as clean, sure... but it's all good. Things will be fine, right?

Tomo

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 10
RE: as such - 3/6/2004 8:34:53 PM   
Wild Bill

Agree to disagree...go easy on the personal references to someone's lineage or intelligence level and we can keep this as it should, a place of discussion.

Attacking the man or group does not resolve the issues. Let's stick to those and we'll be fine.

Admit it, some folks love controversy. Those who don't can simply read and move right along.

I do believe that the vast majority are intelligent adults who can read each post or reply, evaluate it, take it for it is (or is not) and move along.

For an even better SPWAW (which is pretty good right now or I would have been playing it for 10 years)....

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 11
RE: as such - 3/7/2004 3:07:35 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tombstone

Charles, you know you love being contrary... admit it. I know I've been around here long enough that I don't 100% connect names from today to names from 3 years ago! If I remember correctly though, I've been in many an argument about various things with you (Charles) over the years. Although I make a serious effort at keeping my commo appropriate and respectful. There's a little bit of taunt in anything that happens over that period of time eh? Some of the vibe here lately hasn't been as clean, sure... but it's all good. Things will be fine, right?

Tomo

Naw, naw, being "on the contrary" is with the contrary beneath my feet, but with that being so I might get sentimental and take up a bit of their views.

Your memory and mine are pretty much alike. I don't keep score of those seeming in opposition to my views, and try my best to forget it, for sanity reasons if for none other. I don't see why in one view the same person wouldn't stand for me, and then in another stand against me. It seems pretty commonplace.

As for taunting, I wasn't talking about discussions that go bitter, but directly about what Rhodan was speaking of. You know, those threads that often would start with things like "I'm going to get you sucka" or "Come on sissies, try me!" I don't enjoy WWE style to the nth degree.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> as such Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI