Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

About pz IV-c's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> About pz IV-c's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:07:00 AM   
BulletMagnet

Hey guys
I always thought this tank and others in the series had a short barrelled gun for use against infantry,hence infantry support tank.Howver i just was playing a long camp as germans in 39 and due to a deperate situation i had to start shooting at long ranges(15-25) hexes.To my surprise i hit roughly 50 percent of the time stationary and 25 percent moving while firing.Anyone else see this?

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"
Post #: 1
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:12:21 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: BulletMagnet

Hey guys
I always thought this tank and others in the series had a short barrelled gun for use against infantry,hence infantry support tank.Howver i just was playing a long camp as germans in 39 and due to a deperate situation i had to start shooting at long ranges(15-25) hexes.To my surprise i hit roughly 50 percent of the time stationary and 25 percent moving while firing.Anyone else see this?

Which set of OOBs were you using?

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 2
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:13:08 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

Hey guys

Perhaps you could post its stats as a favor?

$ociali$m-from those who will to those who won't.....

Post #: 3
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:16:30 AM   
BulletMagnet

Your favorite version 8.1.0.0.0.0.0.1

Im not sure how to post the stats for it?savvy.Do know that its aweful funny to be plinking with infantry tanks though.Kats are bad enough dont need early war tanks acting like em too.BTW im a KAT driver!!!and a goblin disciple.

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 4
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:22:58 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

Im not sure how to post the stats for it?savvy.Do know that its aweful funny to be plinking with infantry tanks though.Kats are bad enough dont need early war tanks acting like em too.BTW im a KAT driver!!!and a goblin disciple.

Post the stats for the maingun, Rangefinder, Firecontrol and Targeting.

Then we can give you some answers

Ignoring the wulfir

Post #: 5
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:23:43 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

Don't worry we will post them and analyze what the ratings mean using the manual as a good tutorial and a comparison to later post-ww2 tanks as a base.

Thanks for the question.

regards,
sven

Post #: 6
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:26:04 AM   
Voriax

Why should an 'infantry tank' have less accurate gun than an 'anti tank' tank? 15 hexes isn't that long, 750 metres.
The weapon accuracy is actually less than for example German 37mm tank gun.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 7
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:29:18 AM   
VikingNo2

The Pz-IVc/d has a 4/4 or a 4/5 I believe ands with early war armor being weak in general. I could see it being a real killer especially on anything British not named matilda. The sad fact is many gamers never use support tanks (other than Stugs ) so they don't know that they are pretty good tanks. The scott is a good example. Especially if the support tanks have heat rounds

< Message edited by VikingNo2 -- 3/5/2004 2:26:41 PM >

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 8
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:30:07 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Voriax

Why should an 'infantry tank' have less accurate gun than an 'anti tank' tank? 15 hexes isn't that long, 750 metres.
The weapon accuracy is actually less than for example German 37mm tank gun.

Voriax

Vor I think he was merely a little bewildered at his effectiveness.

I am going to look into the ratings and translate the stats into real world examples.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 9
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:53:40 AM   
JJKettunen

Pz-IVc, 7.5cm KwK L/24

8.1.OOB:

FC 3
Targ 3
RgF 4

Max Range 160 (=40 hexes)
Accuracy 64

7.1 OOB

Others same, but Accuracy 40

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 10
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 3:00:17 AM   
JJKettunen

Values of SPWW2 of the same AFV translated to SPWAW-values.

FC 2
Targ 0
RgF 2

MR 240
Acc 24

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 11
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 3:18:38 AM   
rbrunsman

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

The Pz-IVc/d has a 4/4 or a 4/5 I believe ands with early war armor being weak in general. I could see it being a real killer especially on anything British not named matilda. The sad fact is many gamers never use support tanks (other than Stugs ) so they don't know that they are pretty good tanks. The scott is a good example. Especially if the support tanks have heat rounds

I recommend them for their intended purpose. They are pretty cheap and really tear up the infantry if you can get close enough (~3 hexes).

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 12
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 3:21:42 AM   
Rune Iversen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

Pz-IVc, 7.5cm KwK L/24

8.1.OOB:

FC 3
Targ 3
RgF 4

Max Range 160 (=40 hexes)
Accuracy 64

7.1 OOB

Others same, but Accuracy 40

Hmm...
Let´s see

An accuracy of 64/4 equals an ACC rating of 16 (for the 8.1 unit). The equivalent value of the Us 75mm M3 AP is 10 (for 7.1). Is anybody going to believe that the stump of a gun carried by the Pz4C is more accurate than the 75mm M3 carried by the Sherman.

I wonder if they scaled up the M4a1 Sherman as well.

Keke?

Ignoring the wulfir

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 13
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 3:56:10 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rune Iversen

I wonder if they scaled up the M4a1 Sherman as well.

Keke?

The answer is yes. From 40/3 to 68/3.

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Rune Iversen)
Post #: 14
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 10:21:08 AM   
Tombstone

Early in the war the PzIVc is a fine medium tank. Simple as that. The only reason you wouldn't realise that is if you never play or study early war stuff. At which point it doesn't matter, cause middle to late in the war a PzIVc is a pile of crap.

Tomo

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 15
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 12:04:30 PM   
Belisarius

What Tombstone says.

Before '42, a IVc is about as good as you get. And yea, I would believe it's at least as good as a early Sherm. Optics.

< Message edited by Belisarius -- 3/6/2004 11:01:05 AM >

Got StuG?

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 16
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:57:35 PM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

What Tombstone says.

Before '42, a IVc is about as good as you get. And yea, I would believe it's at least as good as a early Sherm. Optics.

Heh.

You are aware of the differing ballistic envelopes of the main guns and the differences in turret traverse speed and mechanism?

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 17
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 2:59:26 PM   
Frank W.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

What Tombstone says.

optics may be, but the gun has only a caliber length of 24 , say 75 / L24 this should not be that good to hit other tanks on med or long distance...also i don´t know if the germans had good heat rounds available in the early years...any info ?

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 18
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 3:04:00 PM   
BulletMagnet

Thats what i was implying.Its a 75/24 SHORT barrel. I have no problem with short ranges.Its the long range hit/kills that seem odd.Seems more accurate than pz-iii's 37mm gun./

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 19
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 3:05:15 PM   
harlekwin

quote:

Thats what i was implying.Its a 75/24 SHORT barrel. I have no problem with short ranges.Its the long range hit/kills that seem odd.Seems more accurate than pz-iii's 37mm gun./

well it had good optics....

the differences in the ballistic envelope and MV of the rounds is pretty profound.

I will make a post translating the ratings later today.

Post #: 20
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 4:03:11 PM   
robot

As you all know i play the long campaign exclusively. I have started an east and west campaign for the germans. I always use 2 sec of the pzs for support for my troops. Plus 2 sec in support for my 2 tank colums. At less then 10 hexes they are deadly. I also have a platoon of PZII. which i replace with Stugs as they become available.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 21
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 4:11:03 PM   
mattenhoff

As pointed out many times here, the short barrel has a quite profound effect to the accuracy. Just the simple fact that te shell travels at lower speed, as you sure all know. It doesn't matter in short ranges or when shooting at the stationary targets, but one could assume that shooting a moving tank far away, would be quite hard with this gun (75L24). The travelling time of the shell could be a couple of seconds!

I recall reading about a HEAT - round for this gun, with around 100mm PEN. introduced in 1942, IIRC. After the 50mmL60 APCR came to use, it (the 75L24 HEAT) was of course somewhat second class solution...

Btw, the Hummel's heat round is a real killer! Lost an JS-2 to it? Was this the real situation??? I saw over 200mm PEN values in the log!!!

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 22
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 4:15:36 PM   
harlekwin

It is overrated. The L24 is being given performance not in keeping with its ballistic envelope. I suspect the reason behind this is an attempt to synthesize the percieved performance with human factors instead af a clinical look at the engineering ones.

The MV alone was 68.75% of the M3 add in turret traverse, and the stabilizer, and there are other reasons I suspect that more is being modeled than pure performance in an engineering sense.

My opinion is that eqpt. should be modeled based on engineering performance and that Human factors are modeled by Morale/EXP....

thus the Kar-98 would not have 3 to 7 sets of stats in my vision.

Others have different perspectives on this issue.

< Message edited by harlekwin -- 3/6/2004 9:46:06 AM >

(in reply to mattenhoff)
Post #: 23
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 5:13:14 PM   
JJKettunen

Muzzle velocity of 7.5cm KwK L/24 with APCBC-ammo is only 385m/s...One can compare it to other German guns with similar calibre and shell weights but better calibre length and muzzle velocity, and see that its accuracy is definitely overrated in the game.

Anyway there seems to be an overall tendency to improve every gun of the game, not systematically of course , which brings their performance more close to modern day statistics, not WWII...

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 24
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 6:08:16 PM   
Frank W.

quote:

Muzzle velocity of 7.5cm KwK L/24 with APCBC-ammo is only 385m/s...One can compare it to other German guns with similar calibre and shell weights but better calibre length and muzzle velocity, and see that its accuracy is definitely overrated in the game.

Anyway there seems to be an overall tendency to improve every gun of the game, not systematically of course , which brings their performance more close to modern day statistics, not WWII...

this is perhaps an early version of SPmodern ???

hey hurrayyyyy !!!

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 25
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/6/2004 6:42:01 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank W.

quote:

this is perhaps an early version of SPmodern ???

hey hurrayyyyy !!!

Well, it has been done already...

Jyri Kettunen

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 26
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/7/2004 11:45:19 PM   
BulletMagnet

So the pzIVc is as acurate as a sherman 75mm and as deadly?Sounds odd to me but im not a number cruncher.I thought lenght of barrel + improved acuracy?Is a sherman 105 the same way?

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 27
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/8/2004 12:04:09 AM   
Voriax

Shermans M3 gun is more accurate and has almost twice the penetration power.

Point is, when you have relatively hard hitting 75mm gun against T-26, BT-7, and Brit Cruiser class tanks (paper thin armour) even a short barreled gun is deadly. Oh and Sherman M4A3 has also better fire control.

The 37mm guns may have bigger point blank penetration but their rounds lose energy faster so after a certain point the edge in power goes to the more massive round.

Voriax

Post #: 28
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/8/2004 12:27:28 AM   
BulletMagnet

So do you guys use them as anti heavy armor tanks or close inf support? I usually find them useful against matildas which i can't penetrate with my pz=III's.Also why does my pzIIc's seem deadly up close with the apc rounds.Surely the Germans didnt run these up to Mbt's at point blank and start shooting? I have killed very heavy tanks with this tactic and it dosnt seem right.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 29
RE: About pz IV-c's - 3/8/2004 12:38:25 AM   
Voriax

Well, they work in both roles. I'd say anti-armour as long as the AP ammo supply lasts. Of course this varies, depending of need.
The Pz-II's have a small amount of APCR ammunition with pen about 60. So when you are close with them you get high accuracy and rather deadly round. I don't consider Pz-II's especially effective...they usually go ahead of Pz-III/IV's as I consider loss of one Pz-II in ambush is 'acceptable loss'
As for tactic..well..the opfire eventually quits/lessens thus you can go close..not as easily as in original Steel Panthers but still.

Voriax

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> About pz IV-c's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI