Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/6/2004 8:29:05 PM   
Wild Bill

Looking for situation reports on Mega Campaign - Screaming Eagles.

Anyone playing it currently? Updates? Problems? That is beside the perennial save issues. Sorry about those.

I'd love to hear if anyone is still in the fight, or how many have completed some or all of the threads of the Campaign.

Situation Reports desired....WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/6/2004 10:52:52 PM   
tverdel

Bill:

First of ALL...it's an incredible effort and a totally addictive game. I have not made it to the end of a set of campaign scenarios yet but I have a draw, a minor defeat and TWO decisive victories!!! (Boy, am I a happy camper or what? I'm just following your suggested sequence of events starting with the glider guys.)

I sort of fell in love with with Lost Victories in 2002 but this is just MUCH more engaging. Your efforts to "personalize" this with some of the stories from "Band of Brothers" is a stroke of genius in itself. As before, the document files and "briefings" are a wonderful window into the times and the challenges.

I can't say much of anything about the differences between SPWaW 7 and 8 because those are way over my head in terms of technical issues. Suffice it to say, that Version 8 seems to run fine for me. Two of the start icons are not working for me (they create some sort of error that shuts down the program) but the SPWaW "Quck Start" icon works okay.

Just some lessons on downloading and installing:

1. I used the "FastPass" file server and it was super. Downloaded all of SPWaW 8.0 in about 20 minutes using a broadband cable connection. Sustained download speed was ca. 325 Kb/sec. Certainly worth the $6.00 or so. Also no problems with the MC scenario and the patch file.

2. I "uninstalled" SPWaW 7 before I installed 8.0. I later attempted to re-install Lost Victories on top of 8.0 but the CD-ROM I have doesn't seem to permit that. Thus, right now I've lost that particular MC but I'm sure there's some way to get Lost Victories re-installed. Will just have to get back to Matrix on that.

Can't say enough about what you have created here. I really can't imagine how much work had to have gone into this. If the result had been a flop, that would just be very sad...BUT it's absolutely tremendous so the heroic efforts are rewarded by the results.

I started this particular addicitive hobby in 1958 or 59 when my grandmother bought me a copy of Avalon-Hill's Gettysburg game. I'm 61 years old now, a former Artillery Battery Commander in the Vietnam war and a retired Navy Captain who spent all of those years in intelligence. Up until just a few years ago, I shied away from "small-unit" games and scenarios because for the most part they did not appeal to my love of history and were just TOO time-consuming. You have totally changed my perspective on that.

I STILL like Civil War Generals II and The Operational Art of War series better than anything else EXCEPT what you have just created. Right now, I would have to say that it is the pinnacle of this art.

Thanks Again.

Tom

PS: I REALLY don't like bunkers and pillboxes but I"ll find that key somewhere!

Tom Verdel

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/6/2004 11:07:17 PM   
lexxan

I'm currently trying to reach the end of at least one of the 4 sub-campaigns but I can't because of a nasty bug. Between scenarios, randomly (apparently), the game fail to find some oob (on the left bottom part of the screen it start to overlapping many lines saying "OOB not found" (or something equivalent, I don't remember because when it happens I start to shoot at the computer swear words in all languages and dialects I know). From here it goes to the screen with the 2 "bottons" named "USA player" and "German player" and then it crashes to the first opening screen (where you choose to Play Spwaw). From this point on, yr campaign is finish! You cannot continue and it can happen after the 1 st, the 2nd or the 10th scenario like in a lottery.
I installed MCSE from the back-up disk or downloaded from the Matrix E-store. I installed spwaw 8.0 and then the 2 a.m. versions of MCSE; I repeated the process also with the 8.1 patch. I downloaded twice the Spwaw Vs 8.0 and repeated the a.m. process. No way. If you don't find the problem/solution I will never end my favorite game of ever, sigh! I saw in different forums you have been already reported abt the same problem so I guess it doesn't depend on my PC setup.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/7/2004 6:55:28 AM   
John David

You hit it on the head tverdel!

WB is the master and I am so happy that you are as into this as much as your post describes. You'll find that sleep or lack there of becomes a problem as these MC's are so well done.

As a Vietnam Vet, may I just stop and salute you sir! As much as the WW2 generation is the greatest of almost any before or since it, anyone who served in the 'Nam has my utmost respect!

JD

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

(in reply to tverdel)
Post #: 4
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/7/2004 8:18:51 AM   
tverdel

Thanks John, you are very kind.

Isn't it amazing what Bill has created?

You're clearly right about the sleepless nights. It's a quarter past midnight and I'm still talking about this stuff.

What a great site to exchange ideas and opinions. Wish I was smarter about this stuff, but no point pretending at this stage in life.

Cheers to you and V/R

Tom

Tom Verdel

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 5
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/10/2004 10:25:31 AM   
lexxan

I already played many scenarios for 501 and 347 bypassing the bug I mentioned you in this thread (making a back-up saving for each battle at the very beginning) with great fun!
But... after many battles with the 501s the game started to loop repeating old battles, sometimes as 501s, sometimes as 347s!. The units were always the same (501s) with the correct experience but the scenarios were wrong (because the battle was repeated 2-3 times, not in a row, with exactly the same conditions/enemy units. I almost always achieved decisive victories so that I should have faced always new battles, shouldn't I?
It happened something like that also in MCLV, where, at a certain point (it was an ambush from russian cavalry units scenario) the game was looping on the same 3 battles endless...
I'm still dreaming to finish this MCSE, can you help me?

Regards
Stefano (Lexxan)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/14/2004 6:17:53 PM   
Ol_Dog

Still grinding out about 2 hours a day. Tried 502, and 506 now. I am 7 scen into 506_1.

A few comments

1. One scen a unit was commanded by Capt ?
It would have been nice for him to have a name.

2. I have been awarded medals and medals for valor. It would be good to see if they were Purple Hearts, Good Conduct Medals or Silver Stars and a record of how many earned. Then I could bore my grandkids telling them how I won my Bronze Star with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters and my Silver Star - even if I couldn't earn a Good Conduct Medal.

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to lexxan)
Post #: 7
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/22/2004 8:31:36 AM   
Slacker

First and foremost, I want to say how much I enjoyed this MC vs the others. The smaller nature (company plus vs. battalion) of it really appealed to me. It helped me begin to appreciate particular units - for example, Sgt. Saunders also seemed to have a kick-ass squad. When these units died I felt it - and it also taught me to use them a little more conservatively [I may even know how to use my scouts properly now - though I'm sure they still took a disproportionate number of casualties]. The smaller scenarios allows you to progress down the campaign further, faster, with the result that bad choices in previous scenarios have seem to have a longer imprint. I'm sure that it's the same in the other MCs, there's just too many units for me to notice if that group that got hosed last time out can't get the job done this time.

I had many oob crash issues that were only overcome with saving on every battle and even then having to repeat battles occasionally. I understand that this isn't the MC's fault, but it's still a pain.

I've played through all the threads now (still looking at where the 501 will eventually take me, I assume to Berlin as the briefing for one of the other units mentions something about reinforcing them) and found the missions to be varied and enjoyable (especially some of those withdrawl ones - they seemed to require the most thinking AND the most luck). The general lack of units, but especially tanks and artillery, made decisions much more important - is that objective worth a platoon, do I shoot off some of my precious 60 ammo now, or save it for when I really might need it - those sort of things.

Anyhow, I'm sure this will keep me playing for some time yet to come as I look to complete the "side" missions - despite all the crashing.

Slacker

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/23/2004 1:33:45 AM   
thezel

Hey WB,

I went throught the glider thread, as well as the 501st thread. I got through Market Garden on the 506th thread, and then that thread bombed when i hit the first Bulge scnerario (the cant find oob error.). Went two scenarios into Market Garden for the 502nd thread when i got the same error.

Overall, i think this is great MC (all should buy it!) I think that the Watchtower MC was a bit more challenging, but i like the brevity of the MCSE scnerios, as well as the multuiple threads. I think the beginning scenario for 506th (the large version) ranks as my favorite scenario all time. (i think that was Marauders? - great work BTW) There are certain features that i love about the way the scenerios were designed that i cant say, cause i dont want to give away anything, but they are really exciting.

I'd love to know if matrix will keep producing/supporting these mega campaigns. I'd love to take part in designing/testing scenarios.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/31/2004 5:51:20 PM   
Wild Bill

Thanks for the updates, but I'd love to hear more of them. Keep 'em coming!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 4/9/2004 3:49:56 AM   
Death Method

Hi WB,

I just bought MCSE...and im impressed with the effort and scope put into it.

But i have a minor question here (or maybe a bug) to ask of WB or anyone playing MCSE.

1)On the second glider force mission (needle in a haystack) it says i don't get reinforcements until T-50!!

I can't see how i can take out that '88mm with the small force that i have. I will deffinitely need those mortars listed in the reinforcements. Is this a bug? or is this little map OVER 50 turns?? I must be missing something.

2)Also, when i lost on that map eventually it took away my flag from the Northern Normandy slot in the battlemap. What i don't understand is that the battle i just lost (needle in a haystack) was in SOUTHERN Normandy...atleast i think thats what it was.

It should be noted that im a noob (no kidding eh) and i bought this MC because i found the ingame campaigns too convoluted.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 4/9/2004 1:52:11 PM   
Jim1954

Anytime that you see reinforcements due past the turn limit, it means that the designer is not letting you get those units. It's not a bug. You just have to make do with what you have.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Death Method)
Post #: 12
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 4/9/2004 6:10:36 PM   
Jim1954

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ol_Dog

1. One scen a unit was commanded by Capt ?
It would have been nice for him to have a name.

Ol_Dog, This is a little bug that sometimes pops up. What happens is that the particular commander for that unit (or maybe even the whole unit) got whacked in a previous battle and eliminated. Sometimes when the unit comes back, the commander's name will be gone and sometimes even his rank. If it is just the name, r-click on the Capt. ?, and just give him a name. If the rank is also gone, you will need to run the campaign fixer utility to get that back.
You can find that utility here at the Depot:

http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=216

Note that you must run this between battles because it is not automatic. It will work on any megacampaign.
It is also prudent to pay attention to the leaders values when they come back after getting eliminated. Sometimes they will be single digit. This utility can also repair those.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Ol_Dog)
Post #: 13
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 4/9/2004 7:48:49 PM   
Ol_Dog

Thanks Jim - I've downloaded it, will try it after April 15th

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 14
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 4/9/2004 8:29:09 PM   
Jim1954

You must be in the accounting field.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Ol_Dog)
Post #: 15
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 6/4/2004 3:58:58 PM   
lexxan

After having solved the bug of the wrong OOBs (bypassing it through a systematic backup-saving of each scenario-starting point) and another nasty one (the cul-de-sac scenarios where you were repeating them in an endless loop.Thanks to yr patch!) I finally fully enjoyed yr masterpiece. Yes, it is (another) PC-gaming masterpiece notwithstanding its pre-hystoric graphics.

I just have a little of bitter taste left in my mouth (I don't know if it is correct in english, if not, forgive me!) because the a.m. bugs can kill the whole game (pleasure) in no time and, in my opinion, were easly avoidable with a good testing (before shipment). Weren't they?

Is there a new MC on the horizon?

A nice week-end to everybody.

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 16
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 6/13/2004 7:24:05 PM   
Wild Bill

Texxan!

Thanks for the kind words. As I've mentioned before, there are some inherent problems in the MC system. We've tried to overcome all that we could. The loop was my error. For that I apologize. I hope everyone gets the small patch to correct that.

The smaller, quicker play scenarios seem to work well in MC-SE. By doing so, we avoid the feeling that it will go on forever.

Having four separate threads also gives MC-SE much more replay value. One can play through a thread, then leave it awhile, come back and try another. I think the four threads also give a more complete perspective of the overall actions of the 101st during their heroic participation in World War II.

I think the focus will be in the future for a Mega Campaign for the upcoming Combat Leader.

The grand old warrior, "Steel Panthers," has served us well. It will always have a place on my computer. The varying versions of Steel Panthers represent a number of years of my life invested in trying to bring out the best of what they offered.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to lexxan)
Post #: 17
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 11/20/2005 11:00:54 PM   
SAMWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

The loop was my error. For that I apologize. I hope everyone gets the small patch to correct that.

I'm just starting a Screaming Eagles Campaign. Where can I get the patch to avoid the looping? There is no patch listed on the downloads page.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 11/21/2005 6:02:14 PM   
IBTyrone

quote:

ORIGINAL: SAMWolf

I'm just starting a Screaming Eagles Campaign. Where can I get the patch to avoid the looping? There is no patch listed on the downloads page.

Here's the link with the patch you can download if you are a member of the Depot:
http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1314&highlight=mcse+patch

(in reply to SAMWolf)
Post #: 19
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 11/21/2005 8:45:35 PM   
SAMWolf

Thanks IBTyrone.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 20
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 11/25/2005 4:17:15 PM   
alf24

is there any place where i can buy or download JUST the Mega Campaign - Screaming Eagles.????

(in reply to SAMWolf)
Post #: 21
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 11/29/2005 5:27:00 PM   
IBTyrone

Nope. Matrix only sells the General's Edition of their MegaCampaigns which includes *all* the MCs. You might convince some poor soul to part with their personal copy, tho. Try posting your request in the main area here or over at the Depot. You might get a response.

(in reply to alf24)
Post #: 22
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 11/29/2005 6:14:47 PM   
johnhulten

Played several threads thru. Love this MC. Thanks Bill. Will replay when 8.4 is fixed to allow CC. Or back to 8.3 if 8.4 makes it too easy to save and scout free.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 23
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 1/14/2006 9:29:56 AM   
polkov ivan

I am having a blast playing this campaign.
I've started all the threads but haven't finished one yet.
Having a hard time deciding which one I want
to play most (i wanna play them all)
I've enjoyed all the scn's I've played so far.

I don't remember which one I am concentrating on now
but I just finished a scn, one of my favorites ever. Carentan, I think.
Some of the German troops thought they were Japanese,
had to get every single last one of them. Just started the next scn,
have to defend the same map now. Should be fun.

I really like the way the whole thing is put together,
nicely done with lots of options.

Thanks....

(in reply to johnhulten)
Post #: 24
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/1/2006 4:59:02 PM   
Major_Johnson

Started this for the first time about a month ago. Guess I'm about 12 scenarios into it. I picked the upper most hex to star with and I just had a point where I had to pick again. I couldn't remember which unit number I was playing so I just picked the top hex again, hoping they were constant. And I never take any of the optional scenario's. I always go with the default, that way the next time I play and chose the top hex I'll chose the first optional mission a (if available) in all the missions. That way I have the best chance of not playing a scenario over again even when choosing the same unit number in the beginning. As you can tell I'm planning on living well past 100, since that's how long it's gonna take me to play this MC throughly!! :) And oh yeah, I'm enjoying the MC.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to polkov ivan)
Post #: 25
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/1/2006 10:10:28 PM   
IBTyrone

Thanks for the report, Major. I have owned the General's Edition for over a year and haven't gotten around to playing a single one of them. Too many user campaigns and scenarios to play and nowhere near enough time.

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 26
RE: SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep - 3/12/2006 6:05:58 PM   
Wild Bill

Thank you Major and the rest for your positive comments on Screaming Eagles. We worked LONG and HARd on this one to make it the best of the four. I personally think we achieved that.

It is one of the most exciting fun campaigns out there. Tyrone, you are missing something!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> SCREAMING EAGLES...Sit rep Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI