Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
[Poll]

How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames?

1-5 years
  7% (10)
6-10 years
  9% (13)
11-15 years
  16% (23)
16-20 years
  16% (22)
more than 21 years
  50% (69)

Total Votes : 137

(last vote on : 6/28/2004 6:24:41 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 5:14:04 AM   
KG Erwin

Ok, guys, I want to see just how experienced in wargaming our membership is. Don't count first-person shooter games. Only count those games which actually involve controlling units of squad-level and above and which involve tactical and /or strategic thought in deploying those units.
This is a generalized poll, so it isn't scientifically accurate. In my experience, this also gives a general idea of the age demographic here. This is an easy one, so please vote. I'll put mine in, first. (I started on Avalon Hill boardgames very early on. I got Jim Dunnigan's "1914" for Christmas 1968, and I was 11. Jeez. I already had "Stalingrad", so I was probably 11 when this fascination really started. My god, that was 36 years ago.)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/8/2004 10:29:52 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 5:24:39 AM   
M4Jess

1972 Panzer Leader..

My life went to hell after that!

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 5:35:29 AM   
KG Erwin

I can see that the baby boomers and generation X-ers are going to dominate this poll. No surprise. The post-generation X-ers are more into the X-box and PlayStation types of games.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 3
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 5:41:19 AM   
Orzel Bialy

Wow...20 plus years!?!?!? Where did all that time go?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 5:46:50 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Panzer Leader also 1974. Then Panzer Blits and on and on.........

KED

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 5
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 6:01:18 AM   
stevemk1a

It was 1981 or thereabouts ... I got AH's Third Reich as a X-mas present. After that came Panzerblitz and Panzerleader, Squad Leader, the morass of ASL and lots of other games (I really liked Victory Games' NATO 1986 ) I still have a closet full of old wargames and S&T mags. Time flies

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 6
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 6:05:00 AM   
M4Jess

quote:

ORIGINAL: willy

It was 1981 or thereabouts ... I got AH's Third Reich as a X-mas present. After that came Panzerblitz and Panzerleader, Squad Leader, the morass of ASL and lots of other games (I really liked Victory Games' NATO 1986 ) I still have a closet full of old wargames and S&T mags. Time flies

Nato 86! is that the one that had the Nukes!?

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to stevemk1a)
Post #: 7
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 6:13:22 AM   
stevemk1a

Yup ... as I recall there was tactical nukes and chemical warfare "points". Whoever used the Nukes or CW first risked a "end of game" though. Nukes or CW seriously degraded the Nato air assets. My fave in that game was all the cool Russian para and marine armor and infantry assets ... I would always invade Denmark with 'em
ahh memories ...

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 8
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 6:28:35 AM   
Nickel

35 years, a long time. My first game was an obscure AH board game called Blitzkreig which featured two opposing sides called Big Red and Big Blue with a hypothetical world map that had territories, the object of which was to conquer while destroying the enemy army. There were tanks, mechanized, infantry,engineers, airborne and air assault (airdropped mech unit). Units had 2-3 steps with the 3rd step being a generic unit for the type unit that it replaced. CRT was simple with no effect through DR2 and you tried to get high odds for best results. Retreats through enemy zones cost steps as well as those you could outright lose from combat. There were also stacking rules.

< Message edited by Nickel -- 3/8/2004 10:30:01 PM >

never in driblets, but in mass

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 9
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 7:09:33 AM   
Wild Bill

If you count my time as a lad when I took my chess pieces and changed them to infantry (pawns), tanks (rooks), artillery (bishops) paratroopers (khights) special forces (queen - sorry Special forces guys and the CinC (king), then since I was 12, which would be, let's see...55 years.

Afrika Korps, Midway and the original Gettysburg were my first initial purchases from AH in 1965, or 34 years.

Computer wargaming since about 1987 with an old Atari till today.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 10
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 7:59:07 AM   
Tombstone

I'm at 7.5 years. Well, computer wargaming at least, but honestly I didn't know sh t until I started with the computer stuff. Before that it was all rules and dice... It wouldn't have happened if not for the Wargamer and WB. I saw the website name in a magazine somewhere after getting SP1. Started to download scenarios and read the short documents on the history of the scenarios. Good stuff. The rest is history. I don't think there's a better way to learn about history than to have a game on side and information on the other.

Tomo

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 8:08:48 AM   
degen

I another of the 21+ crowd, having started with games like Sniper!, Firefight, and Squad Leader, among others. This was around 1978, but I layed off for years until I found SP3 in a bargain bin for $5 while traveling in Bakersfield a couple of years ago.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 12
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 9:12:51 AM   
Kokoda

I started out in table-top Ancients, A Very Long Time Ago - late 60's.

If you count the "Wild Bill's innovative chess rules" approach, then it'd have to go back to the mid 50s in west Africa, playing with warrior fgure ornaments in the back yard (and the one with the cool-looking shield always won).

First person shooters?!? They didn't have them then.

CHRIS

(in reply to degen)
Post #: 13
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 2:48:20 PM   
Warrior2

First I can remember is Avalon Hill's "Gettysburg," around 1960 or so. Time flies when you're having fun.

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 14
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 4:13:17 PM   
robot

Sorry guys my memory is not too good anymore. But im sure i played in the back yard with toy soldiers, the lead kind with my cousins and my brother. The first board game i dont remember the name. Most of what i do remember is the stacks of little cardboard kept falling over. I would say i have been playing some kind of war stratagy for the last 65 yrs. That is if you count the back yard. What year the first war board game came out in i dont know. But it was a long time ago. I know that if PC were around a long time ago. I might not have caused my mother a lot of grief. I was not a very good boy while i was growing up. End of story.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 15
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 4:18:22 PM   
mogami

Hi, 1975 or there about. (if you don't count using my own rules with my Airfix HO scale soldiers)
First board game was SPI's "War in Europe" I was never a big fan of any AH game excepting Iron Ships and Wooden Men and ASL. But then by the time I discovered them I had already been weaned on SPI. I played a lot of Napoleonic miniatures

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 16
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 4:25:35 PM   
Sturmpionier

I'm obviously a junior partner here. I was about negative 5 when Panzer Leader came out so...

In 1993 my girlfriend's dad got me playing Battle of the Bulge: Patton Strikes Back. At the time I played the heck out of it. I never really thought of it as a wargame, since I had never really heard the term. Anyway, girlie and I broke up and yours truly moved away to college. My first month there, a friend handed me an OEM copy of Panzer General. Impugn it all you want, but it got me involved in the genre. By that point, I was started with 1/16 miniatures with a reenacting buddy. Shortly thereafter, he turned me on to a new computer game that modeled individual vehicle and squad combat. It was called "Steel Panthers," or something like that.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 17
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 9:10:15 PM   
TheChin

Hey Nickel, I use to play "Blitzkrieg" also, I still have it. I liked it because it added a level of complexity to "Tactics II", another classic abstract Avalon Hill title. I got bored with "Tactics II" (I still have that also) because the battle usually degenerated into a massive middle of the board conflagration. Blitzkrieg gave you some good options to be flexible and try different strategies.

I used to love Yaquinto games in addition to the Avalon Hill standbys. "Beachhead" and "Fast Attack Boats" were always favs. I also played their unconventional titles like "Attack Of The Killer Mutants", I wish I could find that game again, I really dug it. I thought it was cool that they took the time to name each and every unit uniquely and give them different graphics. Just good fun really, not too serious.

Other good unconventional wargames were "Ogre/G.E.V.", "Hammers Slammers" and "Star Fleet Battles" . I can't even begin to count how many hours of my teens were spent playing SFB. I wish I had a good opponent for it now, I have a box full of books, maps and counters for it.

For serious I would turn to "Flattop", "Submarine", "Panzer Leader" and "Tobruk" - which was owned by a friend, so I didn't get to play it as much as I would have liked. "Flattop" was one of those games that took forever to set up, but if you could set apart the time and space was well worth it. I doubt I could dedicate the time to it now. Ahh, the carefree days of high school when hours upon hours could be dedicated to board gaming. Which is one of the great advantages of turn-based computer gaming, you can have huge battles set up and waiting for you and you can play it whenever you can fit in a few minutes and not have to worry about the table getting bumped, your stacked armies falling over, your cat batting the pieces to the floor and your Dog promptly eating them.

Oh, and the first "real" wargame I ever owned and played was "The Kaiser's Battle". It was a bit over my head at the time, I was in 5th grade I think. I think we have talked about the game on the forums a couple years ago.

< Message edited by TheChin -- 3/9/2004 7:15:45 PM >

"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 18
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 9:24:46 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Lets see, I'm 42, I started when I was 13.

Hmm almost 3 decades.

Lets see when I started, computers might have existed, but odds are you had never seen one.
For that matter, wargames existed, but odds are you had not seem one of them either.

Come to think of it, that obnoxious hobby rolegaming was just getting started called Dungeons and Dragons.

Interesting how everyone thinks rolegaming is called Dungeons and Dragons, but wargaming is not called Tactics II or something like that eh.

I basically never get rid of wargames. Although when the Berlin wall fell, I turfed a handful of WW3 based games, as it was clear they weren't worth keeping any longer. Who wants to fight a modern what if with people that never fought. To much real history to waste time on total fiction history.
Gave a few games to a friend as a mercy offering hehe.

But basically, I never get rid of any wargame if it was worth learning in the first place.
Got quite a stash eh.
Go ahead turn off the internet, stop making computer wargames, I will not even suffer heheh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to TheChin)
Post #: 19
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 9:46:18 PM   
FNG

My copy of PanzerBlitz is two years older than I am (1970) and my Panzer Leader is the same age (1972)... Started playing in about '82. Been role-playing, tabletop, PC & console gaming ever since, even managed to work for a games company for about 5 years (WotC).

But Steel Panthers has been my constant companion when all the others have had 'phases'.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 20
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/9/2004 10:40:14 PM   
Ol_Dog

I bought AH Gettysburg ca1965 - but couldn't find anyone that would play. The game is almost new-in-box but the instructions are worn.

SSI Gettysburg - c1987 - and Operation Market Garden - I have more hours in SSI Gettyburg than any 2 other games - probably as much as in MS Excel which I use every day. Last time I played those 2 was about 2 years ago.

V For Victory series, Tigers, Panthers, TacOps, Empire, Perfect General, Fire Brigade, Halls of Montazuma, High Command, PacWar etc are all still on my bookcase shelves - but SPWAW really started taking my time and then led me to Uncommon Valor which proved GG could make a game which was playable by a common man.

SPWAW scens, campaigns, Mega Campaigns have so much replay value it's unbelieveable.

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 21
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 12:44:51 AM   
h_h_lightcap

I received AH's Luftwaffe in 1976 and Tobruk in 1977----Still love tobruk--Alot like steel panthers.

H_H_

"My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things." ----Kurt Vonnegut

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 22
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 2:02:54 AM   
Wild Bill

Sturmpioneer!

Excuse me , but have you ever thought about some dental work?

I mean, you could look like this , then again, you might like the look

WB

< Message edited by Wild Bill -- 3/10/2004 12:03:46 AM >

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to h_h_lightcap)
Post #: 23
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 3:13:58 AM   
BlueLavender

Luckily, me as the post generation X-ers, do not go into playstation thingie... me still stick to the steel panthers, spwaw, talonsoft world at war, and now in fact goes into axis and allies boardgame :p

guess I'm a post generation X-ers who don't look like one... most of my friends who saw what game I play asked generally the same thing : "Are you born in the correct year" ? :)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 24
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 3:32:37 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

AH Tobruk, love it. Sadly it was raped by CH.

It could have been the greatest tanker game out there using the original formula too.

But no, it was used as a ploy to be obnoxious.

The original needed the player to perform rudimentary book keeping. Was an excellent simulation.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to BlueLavender)
Post #: 25
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 5:21:16 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Sarge I have Tobruk by AH, great game but tonnes of die rolling. Good sim, but rolling for each round fired was a bit much. I actually though the infantry side of it worked much better, but the tank sim IMHO eventually led to ASL. ASL is still one of the best board based war games of all time again IMHO. My order for the Axis minors is still on hold! But I do have some of the new White Fin counters!!

< Message edited by Kevin E. Duguay -- 3/10/2004 10:22:23 PM >

KED

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 26
Another old fart - 3/10/2004 9:44:55 AM   
Reg

1976. What go me hooked was a multi-player game of Patrol! after school with each person controlling a single squad member (Combination of board gamong and role playing really). Rapidly graduated to the classic Napoleon at Waterloo and SPI's Desert War. After that went on to just about everthing that was around at the time.

Most memorable moment: A group of spectators crowding around a game of Circus Maximus chanting "Run him Over, Run him over" and the cheer after the red player the had just enough movement points to reach the dismounted driver counter. Any one would think they were at a real chariot race.....

Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 27
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 4:14:13 PM   
joki

I have played for about 15 years, started with Avalon hill boardgame, and continued with SPWAW 4.x , 5.x..... and so on

/Jonas

Matrix Games players - Divided by borders, united by the game !!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 28
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 7:23:25 PM   
John David

D'oh! voted but forgot to post to this thread.

For me it's over 3 decades. Played allot of board games, but the thing that sticks in my mind is a game a friend of mine designed in the early 80's that would have transferred amazingly to the computer had any of us in the group been into programming. The board for the game was about 4 feet wide and was a representation of the world ala Risk, which was hand drawn by my friend! All the game cards and accessories were written on the back of the cardboard from old cigarette packs! (cough, cough!
) It was a Risk type game, but much more in depth and broader in scope. We spent years worth of hours playing , testing and developing the game. Sadly, we have all moved to different areas over the years, (having all of us been from Montreal originally), so we no longer play the game.

This is why I love the SPWAW and wargamming community, it keeps me in touch with folks who have a love for these type of games and I constantly learn from reading the forums in regards to your game playing and experiences.

Long live Grognards!

JD

< Message edited by John David -- 3/10/2004 3:25:18 PM >

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

(in reply to joki)
Post #: 29
RE: How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? - 3/10/2004 7:34:30 PM   
Major_Johnson

Well I only choose the amount of years as far as pc war gaming goes, but if I were to include board games and plastic soldiers, I would have to choose the over 21 years!!! Thanks for reminding me how old I am!

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How Long Have You Been Playing Wargames? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI