Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Silent Storm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Silent Storm Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 3:23:54 AM   
Marc von Martial

Anybody here playing Silent Storm, of Nival Interactive?

I have been (and still am) a big fan of X-Com and Jagged Alliance, but I have to admit that Silent Storm is a worthy succesor ( as a spoiler, the devs put some rare x-com weapons in the game ) . I started a "serious" campaign as the Allies a week ago, and god damn Iīm hooked. This game is really kicking butt. Not a new concept but very well done and with a great physics engine.

Post #: 1
RE: Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 3:29:10 AM   
Tactics

I played the demo and liked most of it. The things that really bugged where the goofy ass voices and everyone being in a different uniform, sort of like "Commandos". Someone else was saying there is a strong fantasy element in it. Something like mutant Japanese ninjas being encoutered in England. That along with X-Com weapons is probably why I wont buy it.

I dont mind fantasy, but in a WWII game it seems out of place.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 2
RE: Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 3:51:30 AM   
Marc von Martial

Itīs a WW2 Fantasy game, they never claimed it is historical correct . Actually thatīs one of the things I like most about it. That it is a fantasy story. After all X-com and JA are pure fiction too. For me personally itīs the great entertainment factor it has. In the last couple of years I had only few games that completly hooked me and where I had to force myself to stop playing. Well, of course except for our own products, LOL, .

The voices can get "boring", but hey, thatīs what modders are there for ...

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 3
RE: Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 4:20:23 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Anybody here playing Silent Storm, of Nival Interactive?

I have been (and still am) a big fan of X-Com and Jagged Alliance, but I have to admit that Silent Storm is a worthy succesor ( as a spoiler, the devs put some rare x-com weapons in the game ) . I started a "serious" campaign as the Allies a week ago, and god damn Iīm hooked. This game is really kicking butt. Not a new concept but very well done and with a great physics engine.

Yes.

I am playing a US scout.

This game is "holy ****" good.

$ociali$m-from those who will to those who won't.....

Post #: 4
RE: Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 4:29:40 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: harlekwin

Yes.

I am playing a US scout.

This game is "holy ****" good.

Iīm playing a US Grenadier. But I treat my scout better currently ;). I got a kickass medic that profes to be a great sniper too now

The game is just great, itīs one of these seldom games that really is addicting. Now if I only would find time to unwrap Jagged Alliance Wildfire ;)

Check this site out:

http://www.s2hq.com

They have a great grpahic configuration tool there. It was the only thing that made me able to get it running on my laptop. the cure was easy, 16bit mode, something the devs didnīt offer in the standard config. There are also some nice camera hacks out there. Makes positioning that guys easier.

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 4:35:24 AM   
Marc von Martial

Btw, thatīs my character, gotta love this face morphing feature ;)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 4:38:24 AM   
harlekwin

quote:

Btw, thatīs my character, gotta love this face morphing feature ;)

my guy has the same face and uniform.....

;)

You can switch uniforms if they bother you.

I made a Japanese scout in a business suit and trench coat.

How'd you take the screenie Marc?

$ociali$m-from those who will to those who won't.....

Post #: 7
RE: Silent Storm - 3/17/2004 4:49:54 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: harlekwin

my guy has the same face and uniform.....

;)

You can switch uniforms if they bother you.

I made a Japanese scout in a business suit and trench coat.

How'd you take the screenie Marc?

LOL, quite some coincidence.

In game screenshots or done with [print screen], I guess thatīs what the key says on your US keyboard, it should be saved to a folder named "screenshots" within the games directory (according to the manual). I use Hypersnap, you can get the shareware version at tucows.com, or any other shareware site, for all my screenshots needs though.

(

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 3/17/2004 9:50:25 AM >

(in reply to harlekwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Silent Storm - 3/18/2004 5:09:32 PM   
Firefly

Fun game until the Panzerkleins appear, but leave your grog hat in the cupboard. It has some appallingly funny accents, try the Scottish engineer and the female Northern Irish scout for added giggles.

Post #: 9
RE: Silent Storm - 3/18/2004 6:48:24 PM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

I played the demo but I liked Soldiers at War better

I don't understand why my entire squad can fire at an enemy standing the the middle of the road apparently about 30 yards away and miss.

(in reply to Firefly)
Post #: 10
RE: Silent Storm - 3/18/2004 8:35:41 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: UndercoverNotChickenSalad

I played the demo but I liked Soldiers at War better

So did I, actually. Odd that SaW gets mentioned so rarely when this kind of game is discussed.

S2 has a lot of good stuff in it, but it's one of those games where the initial "wow" factor wore off rather quickly.
Post #: 11
RE: Silent Storm - 3/18/2004 8:45:23 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: UndercoverNotChickenSalad: I don't understand why my entire squad can fire at an enemy standing the the middle of the road apparently about 30 yards away and miss.

You mean in Silent Storm? Well there are a lot of factors and possibilities to shoot, I had the same problem when I played Jagged Alliance first

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 3/19/2004 1:45:39 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: Silent Storm - 3/18/2004 11:54:55 PM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

"CHANCE TO HIT UPRIGHT TARGET AT 30 YARDS: 2%"

Post #: 13
RE: Silent Storm - 3/19/2004 12:47:04 AM   
Hertston

quote:

You mean in Silent Storm? Well there are a lot of factors and possibilities to shoot, I had the same problem when I played Jagged Alliance first

For the same reason. That's what you get for trying to build in character development.

Post #: 14
RE: Silent Storm - 3/19/2004 1:18:37 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Too busy with UT 2004 and BF Vietnam.....must go play...more...

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: Silent Storm - 3/19/2004 7:27:02 AM   
ravinhood

I have just been reading about it while sitting on the "thone" today. I was interested in it when I found out it was like X-Com, we haven't had a good X-Com game in awhile. I don't care for Commando's, don't like real time or linear mission based games. That's what I wasn't sure about this game, is it like X-Com in that you can go anywhere or is it mission driven, do mission A, then mission B, then mission C, etc. etc.? I don't want the game controlling me, I want to control the game. ;)

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 16
RE: Silent Storm - 3/19/2004 10:30:22 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I have just been reading about it while sitting on the "thone" today. I was interested in it when I found out it was like X-Com, we haven't had a good X-Com game in awhile. I don't care for Commando's, don't like real time or linear mission based games. That's what I wasn't sure about this game, is it like X-Com in that you can go anywhere or is it mission driven, do mission A, then mission B, then mission C, etc. etc.? I don't want the game controlling me, I want to control the game. ;)

Itīs based on hints and clues, and also depends on if you play Allies or Axis, and even the character class. Son all in all itīs not linear, some of the missions of course you can only do if you have a lcua about a certainperson or event. You can also have random encounter with OPFOR troops. Of course you canīt really compare it to X-Com. But the devs are huge fans of X-Com and have been inspired by it.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 17
RE: Silent Storm - 3/19/2004 10:37:36 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: UndercoverNotChickenSalad

"CHANCE TO HIT UPRIGHT TARGET AT 30 YARDS: 2%"

Depends on.

- Character pose (standing, prone, lying) ?; standing has the worst accuracy
- Is character standing still, or in move?
- What wepaon?
- What kind of shot (potshot, carefull shot, aimed shot, sniping) ?
- ROF?
- Is the character actually some "shooting" guy?
- First shot?
- Is the chracter actually seeing the foe, or is it beeing spotted by another teammate?
- weather?
- general game difficulty level?

Thereīs a lot of factors ;)

Of course if youīre standing and trying a SMG potshot in "burst" mode with a character like a level 2 medic, you ainīt going to see the foe down quickly ;). Although my medic is a precise marksman allready, at only level 4. He kills with the first shot at 30 yards.

Post #: 18
RE: Silent Storm - 3/19/2004 7:19:42 PM   
NefariousKoel

You boys should've seen the request for WWII firearms they had over on the Nival forums ages ago.

The majority was involved in some shape or form during WWII, but I saw a few suggestions jump out.. as in an M-16 and *gasp* even some kinda so-called Tesla rifle. I guess they ran with it. They have certainly been mixing it up and I don't mark them bad for thinking differently. It's this kinda thinking that brought us the Fallout series. We need more inventional thinking along these lines to keep it interesting!

I can't complain, personally I like some fantasy mixed with my history. I just never expected to see it all in one package. It's certainly more ground breaking than the first big super hero game they all threw a fit about a few years ago! ;)

Most of what Nival has released since '99 has been truly spectacular. Try out the Etherlords series for a different take on strategy. You'd be amazed at their ingenuity. Some addictive stuff.

Post #: 19
RE: Silent Storm - 3/22/2004 6:09:05 PM   
Bart_Breedyk

Mark;

I have just one thing to say to you my man.

You are a bad BAD, evil, nasty, naughty person!!!! I'm not 18 any more, I CAN'T stay up all night playing games for cryin' out loud.

This is the worst case of 'just-one-more-turn-itis' that I have had in a long long time.

B

PS. You, sir, are EVIL!

EDIT: Lack of sleep makes me grumpy, apparently. The reason you are so evil Mark, is that I bought silent storm basically on your recommendation on Friday evening, and promptly spent the entire weekend playing it.

Sorry about any confusion.

B

< Message edited by Barticus -- 3/23/2004 1:40:02 PM >

Game slut

Post #: 20
RE: Silent Storm - 3/24/2004 3:27:27 AM   
Faceless16

I bought Silent Storm when it was first released and I must say, it is a great game. The gameplay is spectacular and it has much candy for the eyes to go along with it. I havent played it in a couple of weeks though. Combat Mission , Combat Mission Barbarossa and IL2 Sturmovic have stolen my attention away from it, but I'm sure to boot it back up soon enough. 10 out 10 on my scale. I've never played X Com or J A, but I've heard alot about them, I think Ill try them out also.

(in reply to Bart_Breedyk)
Post #: 21
RE: Silent Storm - 3/24/2004 10:39:44 PM   
Firefly

You'll be lucky to get the original X-COM to work on a modern PC (it was a DOS game), but JA2 is a Windows game and still available on budget release. Personally I'd say JA2 is closer to Silent Storm than X-Com, both use a similar tactical system, but X-Com also has a research/build strategic layer.

(in reply to Faceless16)
Post #: 22
RE: Silent Storm - 3/24/2004 10:53:24 PM   
Bart_Breedyk

I'm not as impressed with JA2 as I am with SS, but there was a recent re-release of JA2 called wildfire a couple of weeks ago, if you're looking.

B

Game slut

(in reply to Firefly)
Post #: 23
RE: Silent Storm - 3/24/2004 10:53:47 PM   
carnifex

I got Silent Storm as a Valentine's Day present, completely and utterly out of the blue. She said she got it for me because she read on the back of the box that the game has "75 authentic WWII weapons" and she says "I know you like weapons."

How screwed up is that?

(in reply to Firefly)
Post #: 24
RE: Silent Storm - 3/25/2004 2:44:03 AM   
Maliki

Even though the budget was depleted by an emergency beer expenditure i guess i could go into debt picking this title up.Since it seems to be enjoying such great reviews here.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 25
RE: Silent Storm - 3/28/2004 2:54:04 AM   
Peever

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

I got Silent Storm as a Valentine's Day present, completely and utterly out of the blue. She said she got it for me because she read on the back of the box that the game has "75 authentic WWII weapons" and she says "I know you like weapons."

How screwed up is that?

Now that's my kind of girl.

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 26
RE: Silent Storm - 3/28/2004 12:47:11 PM   
Marc von Martial

Wargamer.com has a review up now too.

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 27
RE: Silent Storm - 3/29/2004 8:47:05 AM   
Fred98

I was a fan of the old board based wargame called Ambush!.

Is Silent Storm in any way comparable to Ambush!?

( The game was called Ambush! inclusive of the exclamation, therefore to end the above sentence with (“!?”) is grammatically correct )

Post #: 28
RE: Silent Storm - 3/29/2004 3:03:47 PM   
Bart_Breedyk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I was a fan of the old board based wargame called Ambush!.

Is Silent Storm in any way comparable to Ambush!?

( The game was called Ambush! inclusive of the exclamation, therefore to end the above sentence with (“!?”) is grammatically correct )

VERY similar to ambush, except the buildings are square and not parallelograms

In short, picture XCom with way better graphics, physics, and set in WWII.

Game slut

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 29
RE: Silent Storm - 3/29/2004 4:32:33 PM   
LarkinVB

First I loved than I liked now its gathering dust. S2 has a wow factor which was quickly replaced by disgust about a very bad and broken character development and a stupid AI. If Nival will fix these things I will surely buy the mission pack. Chances are high they will improve as a lot of gamers gave feedback on these drawbacks in their forum. As of now I stopped playing after about 12 missions and can not agree to the wargamers review.

(in reply to Bart_Breedyk)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Silent Storm Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI