Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mega Campaign - North Africa - Finished Yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign - North Africa - Finished Yet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mega Campaign - North Africa - Finished Yet? - 10/2/2001 12:35:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Has anyone completed the first Mega Campaign - North Africa? I know some of you have been playing for a month or longer. Just interested in the final results when you get there. Anyone completed it yet? Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 10/2/2001 2:28:00 PM   
Gen.Urquhart

Hi WB!Unlukly I have not.I still suffer from Yugo Bug.The patch doesn't work,or probably it's me the one who's not able to make it work!!-).Anyway i'm waiting for the ver 7.0 so that my froblrms will be fixed.And then.........BE SURE I'LL FINISH IT IN A RECORD TIME.I'LL SPEND MY WHOLE DAY,EVERY DAY,TO GET TO TOBRUK!!!!! Regards,ciao

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 10/2/2001 3:56:00 PM   
Recon_slith

I got the Yugo's as well. Then it turned into an Israeli bug (now reports me as the Israeli player instead). So gimme some Super Shermans already! Either way I'm stuck at Messilina (Spelling?)and my all veteren boys are in the twilight zone. [ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: Recon ]

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 10/2/2001 4:34:00 PM   
Unknown_Enemy

Nope, haven't finished yet. I had the yugo bug, but patch 7.1 fixed it.
But I had to start over.
So far, I reached my 6th mission, and this time
I performed much better...... But I still get my boys SLAUGHTERED by UK planes
bombing. Any idea to avoid this ? I HATE UK BOMBERS

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Yaah ! Yaah ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 10/2/2001 4:41:00 PM   
11Bravo

What exactly is the Yugo bug? [ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: 11Bravo ]

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 10/2/2001 5:35:00 PM   
mao

I am in Operation Battleaxe (playing a scenario around Halfaya Pass)...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 10/2/2001 6:38:00 PM   
LeibstandartePzD

I got as far as Malta when the Yugo bug struck. Haven't played since as I am awaiting the patch coming with the next MC. After it arrives I plan on beginning again. Let me say that up until the bug hit me it has to be the single finest Steel Panthers campaign I have ever played. To anyone who might still be undecided about buying this or the follow-up MC's don't wait any longer. It is well worth triple the cost it sells for! Buy it, you won't be disappointed. To Wild Bill and everyone who had a hand in designing this thank you so very much. Even with the bug bringing me to a stand still it was great. I cannot wait for the patch to begin again. Although I will fight a little differently this time having the benefit of a prior recon. ;-)

Respectfully,
Jason E. Otto
Former member of the 8th US Cavalry and a grandson of a Leibstandarte tanker.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 10/2/2001 6:52:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hello.
Yugo bug attacked in the second battle. Waiting the MCLV CD for patching.

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 10/2/2001 7:29:00 PM   
Tommy

WB, It's an excellent game, but I had to put it away until I get ver 7. I just can't play it with the unlimited movement/save game bug. I can never figure out who has already moved when I return to play some more. Oh yeah, what's the YUGO bug? Do I start speaking Slavic after endless hours of no sleep because I'm playing this game? Tommy

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 10/2/2001 7:55:00 PM   
Alexandra

The Yugo bug kicks in after you choose an option to go to a new battle. It basically makes you the Yugoslavian player in a random battle I too have been zapped by it, and am waiting for 7.0 Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 10/2/2001 11:36:00 PM   
bobaloo000

Embarrassed to say I'm only on battle #4. I have three DV's on the books and I just started #4 with some extra engineers. Family, vacation and tragedy have slowed my progress but I am persevering. Battle #2 was a meat grinder but I came away with a DV anyway, not many experienced troops for #3 but I manged to route the brits by turn #7, and spent the next 8 turns chasing their routed crews around. I was awarded the Tank award.

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 10/2/2001 11:49:00 PM   
hhsohn

Dec. 8th... My unit has done well through out the battles, but I guess others haven't faired as well. We were in process of falling back, but the good general decided to make a stand. My unit was given the honor of bloodying the Tommy's nose once again. We've just arrived at the designated spot just before Mechii(spelling?) and we have just begun to deploy. I don't remember seeing any heavy guns in our column, so wish us a good fight!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 10/3/2001 12:13:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Nicely done, gentlemen. I'm terribly sorry for this Yugo bug. It has nothing to do with the scenarios. This is a bug in the coding of the campaign. I know it is being worked on by Michael Wood, originator of the Mega Campaign concept. When we tested the campaign (Louie Marsh, Rick Cloutier and I) we encountered it early and it appeared to have been fixed. I played through at least twice and I think Rick did it three times, with no bug. So in my thinking this has come in some later version or patch in the game. We were designing, playing, testing with versions earlier than 5.3 As you see, we are a long way from there now that there is talk of version 7+. The danger and inherent problem is that in improving the coding, it may "break" something else. That appears to be the case here. But I am not a programmer and that is only an uneducated guess so do not quote me. If so, I'll be skinned alive by Matrix Programmers for talking in my ignorance. And I've been told that enough already ! Once this bug is zapped, I think you'll be very happy with the fights and some of the alternate scenarios. You've all been very patient and kind during this situation. So on my part, thank you very much. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 10/3/2001 12:33:00 AM   
DaveConn

Only on the 5th or 6th scenario (can't remember which), but it has been quite an experience. I have been playing the "basic" version of all battles, and everything has gone without a hitch from a computer standpoint (once I realized the "unlimited movement" bug, and only saved at the end of each turn). It is amazing how much "color" is packed into the battles. I recall my first encounter with a Matilda, and how it rampaged through my troops unhindered until it drove up next to an unsupressed engineer squad, which did it in with a satchel charge! And in my current battle, after bouncing literally scores of AP shells off Matilda IIs, I was ecstatic (and astounded) my a 28mm ATG finally brewed up a II at 100 yards in a dead-on frontal shot. Any game that keeps me so involved will remain on my hard drive a long time! This is the only computer wargame I have ever played that rivals (and in many respects surpasses) the good board games I have played over the years. (And let me say, I have played a lot of them--over 30 years worth!)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 10/3/2001 12:52:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Don't worry WB:we all know where not waiting in vain.Ver 7 seems to come out in a few days.Untill that time....I'm having so much fun creating my first big scenario!!!!It's a grat game and Matrix is a great team,even with the Yugo bug!!!!!

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 10/3/2001 1:01:00 AM   
mcbradley

I was trying to take Tobruk when I too was “Yugoed” . Tried restarting with my saved game but it crashes SPWAW, changes my color scheme, have to reboot . Threw out the old saved game and started over. Trying again, after learning a little from my past mistakes and taking in some of the tips from more experienced players. Also helps to have played the scenarios before to “know” where the hidden strong points are located. Kind of like having the air reconnaissance off-board units I wish SPWAW had. Unknown_Enemy mentioned a 7.1 patch. Is this available for download somewhere? I haven’t seen it. Regards, O. Bradley

Air Force Brat (Ret.)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 10/3/2001 1:53:00 AM   
color

I just finished saving some italian troops at Derna, and my kampfgruppe is preparing the way to Mechili. I lost count but I guess it must be the 8th or 9th scenario. I play with the v7.0b patch and the yugo doesn't hit me anymore, however each time I choose the next scenario to play, the game exits to the desktop. Reloading my savegame always starts me at turn 1 of the first optional scenario or so it seems. A pity I cannot choose the scenario to play, but it's great fun anyway. I am amazed by the variety of scenarios. I have blown up a supply train, rescued prisoners from a british camp, slaugthered a column of tanks and trucks traveling on a road, raced to meet my much needed supply train with almost no ammo left and being attacked by the british at the same time, assaulted enemy positions, met them in an fight to capture some neutral hills and raced to bolster the defence of a mountain pass under attack.
I missed out the scenario where I was to capture a British general due to the difficulty to start up the scenario I wanted though :-( I prefer the optional raid type scenario without doubt. They are highly entertaining and challenging. Well recommended. Color

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 10/3/2001 3:58:00 AM   
MarkFroio

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill:
[QB]Has anyone completed the first Mega Campaign - North Africa? Bill, I had asked this question about a week ago.
I probably should have labled the subject better. I'm loving it and will let you know how I finish. Thanks again.
posted September 21, 2001 04:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, let me say that this game ROCKS!! I
started with the original SP and have yet to find a game that I enjoy playing more. In fact, I keep buying new games only to put them away after a few hours to play SPWAW again. Maybe some day I'll learn to stop wasting my money. I'm currently playing the Mega Campaign, and I'm really enjoying it. I have to tell you it felt great to read that I was awarded the Iron Cross. Also, I have felt that I have let my superiors down when all I acheive is a draw and I read that "Rommel is dissapointed with my actions." Also, I have learned not to fear Matilda II's anymore. I used to curse at them when they've shown up in a scenario. I'm still not happy to see them, but I figure that I've got a better than even chance to destroy them. That's why this game is so great, you can learn from your mistakes and apply your knowledge to future battles. My question is, how long does the Mega Campaign last and what are some of the scores achieved by other players. I'm in the middle of May 1941, and
my score is around 52 or so. Has anyone finished this yet? I'd be interested to know what your scores are. Thanks again to Matrix and everybody who has helped to make such a great game. -------------------- "Dream not little dreams, for they have no power to move men's souls." Winston Churchill

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 10/3/2001 11:44:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Max, I apologize for not seeing the post. WOrking on MC-Watchtower has been most time consuming. There are 42 nodes (or main battles) in a Mega Campaign. From them branch off another 80+ for a total of 132 scenario possibles. If I recall correctly, a major victory is about 140 points or thereabouts. It goes down from there. I'll look that up and post it. Playing a two battles a week, it would take about four months to complete it. And to reinforce Color's thoughts, I included the optional scenarios at the last because I wanted more variety, not just the usual assault-defend battle over and over again. Nice resume of what you've been through so far, my friend. Makes for good reading. You'll encounter even more variety as you move along. Thanks guys for these good reports. We'll try to do it the same way but better with MC-W. It's looking good from what I am hearing from the testers and proof readers. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign - North Africa - Finished Yet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI