Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

questions about unit purpose/use

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> questions about unit purpose/use Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
questions about unit purpose/use - 10/3/2001 9:35:00 AM   
Xcorps

1) Do the cargo planes have a function?
2) I know about using ammo carriers, do ammo dumps/supply dumps serve the same purpose?
3) Can you purchase additional ammunition for OB arty/air/NGF?
4) Do scouting/recon vehicles have better spotting than other vehichles?
5) Is it as difficult for the AI to spot AT guns as it is for the player?
6) The spwaw manual mentions setting units to defensive posture while not moving to increase opfire. Any idea how much? I remember seeing some of these topics covered several months ago, but I have been getting server timeouts on the search for about two hours.
Your resposes are greatly appreciated.

Post #: 1
- 10/3/2001 10:10:00 AM   
kao16

Originally posted by Xcorps:
1) Do the cargo planes have a function? Yes, to carry cargo Actually they can carry airborne soldiers and some equipment (??) IIRC only airborne can now be carried, previously anybody you could fit in could jump - about heavy equipment... I think it may only be limited by "carry"
2) I know about using ammo carriers, do ammo dumps/supply dumps serve the same purpose?
Yes, except they are not mobile and (IIRC) the reloading rate is twice that of a vehicle.
3) Can you purchase additional ammunition for OB arty/air/NGF?
NO, No, no, or probably no
4) Do scouting/recon vehicles have better spotting than other vehichles?
YES, Yes, yes (note that the vehicle must be identified as recon in the encyclopeadia/purchase screen (special code 1 or 11 (elite recon) in the OOB), not just called Recon
5) Is it as difficult for the AI to spot AT guns as it is for the player?
Normally reliable sources (Paul V) seem to indicate the AI does not have "cheat" type advantages (they do get other advantages but generally individual unit performance - spotting and hitting - is the same for AI as human).
6) The spwaw manual mentions setting units to defensive posture while not moving to increase opfire. Any idea how much?
Sorry, no idea. But not moving any units for a turn or so does seem to increase the number of shots available.
I remember seeing some of these topics covered several months ago, but I have been getting server timeouts on the search for about two hours.
I to have had trouble searching. Anything over 30 days ago and you have to search EVERYTHING. And then, when you have only a vague idea of what you're looking for....

(in reply to Xcorps)
Post #: 2
- 10/3/2001 10:16:00 AM   
murx

Hi Xkorps 1) Yes, there are several kind of air combat missions, the cargo planes and gliders are for parachuting troopers in or 'landing'(as far as one calls gliders controlled crash a landing) units like jeeps and mortars. So if You plan to have some units behind enemy lines to make some fuzz or even capture the farthest VictoryPoints You need them. 2) Nes or Yo, Supply/AmmoDumps have the same porpouse but with higher efficiency but no movement capability (logical, eh? ) 3) No, unless You use onboard artillery and have them together with supply dumps/ammo trucks. 4) Sure, and as recon troops are often very small detachments with elite status they are very hard to spot too. (see but not to be seen) 5) Yes, but the AI rarely moves them - the player can use them more aggressively by redeploying them. So they tend to be easier spotted. And one have to have an eye on the size of the AT guns used - small ones are harder to spot, so if You play Germans with 88 AA don't hope that the AI will not see it... 6) This option only works together with Command & Control. Without C&C units that have not moved automatically receive this 'defend' bonus. One thing one C&C you asked on it in another thread) - think of it as 'strict' orders, the plan that was given to Your troops prior to the battle. 'Take that hill' - and if Your troops find hard dug in enemies there they will still try - even if they get slaughtered. Unless You can get the commanders in the field to get new orders. So every 'move'/'action' the units in field do that was not in the 'original' plan will use up Command Points - which only slowly rebuild, esp. when the commanding unit is under heavy fire! The manual will help to understand what action costs how much depending on radio/sight contact to the unit - but it is meager on why/when to use the actions. murx

(in reply to Xcorps)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> questions about unit purpose/use Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI