Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

KG just an observation from an ex Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> KG just an observation from an ex Mod Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 3:20:20 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yo KG, just a friendly comment from an ex-Mod friend.

I was asked to Mod, because the owners knew me well. But unfortunately, some things just don't work, and some people just ain't suited.

Now me, I like having an opinion, and often I am quite agressive with it as well :)

But that reeeeeeeeally botched my capacity as a Mod.

And, well, it ain't easy to un-Mod yerself either :)

So even if you decide to step down, you might end up never really being able to actually walk away.

So ya needs to take my own experiences to heart. Ya gotta sit back and just look at the threads (yes I know that will suck large).

If a thread spins out of control, you as Mod (which is forum speak for referee I think), get the pleasure of stepping in, and stopping that out of control spin.

But as with referees, you are not really allowed to play in the game (yes that sucks large).

I hated being a referee, just wasn't getting anything out of it. And it can often be unrewarding too. Also needs a person that really just doesn't mind just Moderating.

Hope this has not offended you. I certainly hope this doesn't inspire a barrage of flack or bad commentary as well. I could have PMed you too I suppose. But I wanted this to be a public comment (in spite of the risk).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 3:49:04 AM   
Goblin

I have a completely different view that works pretty well, I think. I am only a mod when I have to be. To help someone out, or stop trouble. Other than that, I am just Goblin, period. I still do what I would always do, but could do more if absolutely necessary.

It seems to work.

Goblin

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 3:50:40 AM   
Goblin

And I would avoid locking threads that don't need locked.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 4:19:03 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm care to try that assertion over at Wargamer Goblin hehe, that forum eats Mods eh.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 5:02:37 AM   
Muzrub

KG is the moderator and I think he should be able to contiribute to threads and start threads no matter what the topic is.
But when a moderator does contribute with his own thoughts on a topic he should take the moderator cap off and leave it to the side and not dwell on whether he was correct in contributing.

The idea of a moderator is to remove spam and flammers. If a mod can do that, then its good enough.

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

Post #: 5
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 5:43:40 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks for your comments, guys. For those who know me pretty well, you know that some days I don't have much to say. On those days I just check in, make sure everything is OK, and then go about my normal routine. On other days, I just wanna shoot the breeze or share some information like any other forumer. As Muzrub says, in theory I should be able to express my opinions freely, as long as I don't violate the general forum rules.

Today, I found myself in the thoroughly bizarre role of having to lock my own thread. I briefly considered registering under an alter ego, but that could lead to even more strangeness.

At this point, I know I can trust you guys to keep each other in line, and sometimes to keep ME in line.

As always, any of you are welcome to PM or e-mail me with any concerns you may have, whether dealing with the forums or anything else.

KG's Bar is open 24/7.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 6
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 6:32:25 AM   
Nilbog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin
I am only a mod when I have to be.

Really? Where at?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 7
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 8:06:28 AM   
KG Erwin

Oh, boy! Maybe I should've answered as GK Niwre. Listen, I know that Goblin runs a mod group therapy area, but I'm no longer privy to that support group.

However, I do have KG's Bar, but there are occasions when I may need a little, uh, support in finding my way to the door.

Nilbog, you don't happen to be a Dom, do you? Well, once in a while I play Sub Missions, but, oh, nevermind...

(in reply to Nilbog)
Post #: 8
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 4:47:16 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nilbog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin
I am only a mod when I have to be.

Really? Where at?

LOL!!!

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to Nilbog)
Post #: 9
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/22/2004 10:53:54 PM   
Belisarius

HA HA HA .... "Nilbog"...

Got StuG?

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 10
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/23/2004 2:01:44 AM   
Rudyard Tippling

Greetings, Neighbors. I don't know what Mr KG is talking about, but I love the Germans. German beer is very good and tasty, and so is German sausage--we can add a little cheese, and some Pumpernickel bread, and we have a perfectly delightful lunch on a perfectly delightful spring day--did I mention the delightful German beer?
( OK, cut! Who wrote this crap? I'm a serious man, and this kiddie stuff is just horsesh**t!
We're back on the air? F***!)
...and tomorrow, we will take a trip to the delightful Bavarian Alps, and maybe even visit Berchtesgaden. Can you spell Mein Kampf? Bye for now, or as they say in Germany, Auf Weidersehen!

Post #: 11
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/23/2004 2:34:59 AM   
kensey

Sarge, I am quiet new to this forum so I might have missed
something, but why shouldn't a mod be allowed to have his own
opinion and to defend it agressively? I think it is ok
as long as he seperates his actions as a mod
(keeping up the rules in the forums) from that
of a participant and does not abuse his power
in his private disputes.

KG I can't understand why you closed down your
own thread, it was quiet interesting to see
how people approach wargames. After all there
is a strong roleplaying element in tactical
wargames (only read the DAR reports to see
what I mean) and it is clear that for most people
it's most enjoyable to roleplay as a side
whith which they can easily identify
(like their nationality) although some prefer to
explore the implications of being someone that they
never wanted to be in real live (like an SS officer).

Kensey, I reopened it, with further comments. KG Erwin

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/22/2004 9:37:22 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/23/2004 4:29:22 AM   
degen

KG-

As forum watcher for sometime, my advice is for you to be yourself, have fun, and don't take anything personal. If someone else wants to take it personal, then the he** with them! Above all, don't get burned out on being the Mod. You're doing a great job in my eyes.

I truly appreciate that, degen. Thanks for your support. KG Erwin.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/22/2004 9:39:23 PM >

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to kensey)
Post #: 13
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/23/2004 8:48:40 AM   
tracer

Glenn,
A little tip: edited messages = 'not good' (unless requested by the member).

Just an observation

Jim NSB

(in reply to degen)
Post #: 14
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/23/2004 10:49:50 AM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: tracer

Glenn,

Just an observation

Ditto.
That's where the "reply with quote" button comes handy ;)
Just a friendly suggestion :)

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 15
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/23/2004 4:10:49 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

Sarge, I am quiet new to this forum so I might have missed
something, but why shouldn't a mod be allowed to have his own
opinion and to defend it agressively? I think it is ok
as long as he seperates his actions as a mod
(keeping up the rules in the forums) from that
of a participant and does not abuse his power
in his private disputes.

Kensey, it was just my concerns based upon my own personal Moderator experiences.
There has been a lot of "flak" recently connected with KG's approach, and I was just giving my own observations based on my own dismal experiences.

I do NOT want to see KG, end up experiencing even a fraction of the grief I experienced, mainly because KG is a buddy of mine. If KG wasn't a buddy, then I suppose I would have never been concerned.

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 16
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/24/2004 6:47:42 AM   
degen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: tracer

Glenn,

Just an observation

Ditto.
That's where the "reply with quote" button comes handy ;)
Just a friendly suggestion :)

No problem with me. I follow the same advice as I gave KG and do not take anything personal!

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 17
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/25/2004 5:59:14 AM   
bob55

I'm a new member to this forum, and for what it's worth.......a moderator has a very "challenging" position on the forum. That being said, I feel that they can also have a personal opinion that is valid.

After all, isn't the main reason for this forum to assist each of us to enjoy these games to the max, and to fix the problems that every game from any manufacturer has? Someone has to keep a lid on things!

Post #: 18
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/25/2004 9:27:54 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: bob55

I'm a new member to this forum, and for what it's worth.......a moderator has a very "challenging" position on the forum. That being said, I feel that they can also have a personal opinion that is valid.

After all, isn't the main reason for this forum to assist each of us to enjoy these games to the max, and to fix the problems that every game from any manufacturer has? Someone has to keep a lid on things!

Hello, bob55, and I want to welcome you aboard. Thanks for your comments, but let me tell you that this board is an invaluable resource for learning the intricacies of the SPWaW system. Like all great wargames, it is simple to learn, but difficult to master. Here you will find a membership that is eager to train and familiarize newcomers to this system.
Just remember that there are no stupid questions. If you're unsure about any feature of the game, just ask, and one of us will try to answer you. We're here to share knowledge, answer questions, and just have fun. BTW, my informal forum nickname is Gunny. Glad you're with us.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/25/2004 2:31:23 AM >

(in reply to bob55)
Post #: 19
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/26/2004 3:57:55 AM   
bob55

Thank you Gunny! I enjoy SPWaW, it's really the only game I play with any consistency. I've played through Watchtower three times, as well as working my way through the other scenarios. I have learned that this board is a great source of information, so far most of my questions have already been answered just by looking at the various threads.

My only question.....how can I add the Eagle, Globe and Anchor to my posting?

Semper Fi!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/26/2004 5:06:35 AM   
tracer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bob55
My only question.....how can I add the Eagle, Globe and Anchor to my posting?

Semper Fi!

Click on 'my profile' at the top of the forum page and add it as your avatar.

Welcome aboard

Jim NSB

(in reply to bob55)
Post #: 21
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/26/2004 5:52:37 AM   
bob55

Just an avatar test.......

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 22
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/26/2004 5:37:41 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just noticing your avatar test Bob, and noticing you still don't have one, have you selected

Upload My Picture in your profile details.

and

does it conform to this

(145 X 145) Max. 750KB;
gif/txt/jpg/zip/rtf/doc/xls/sce/bfs/bfm are supported

And when selected, did you remember to click the tab "Apply" and then the tab "Ok" specifically in that proper sequence?

Because if it doesn't conform to all that, you will not have success.

(in reply to bob55)
Post #: 23
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/27/2004 3:16:12 AM   
bob55

Thanks, Sarge! You got me on the right track!

Post #: 24
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/27/2004 3:17:47 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Thanks for your comments, guys. For those who know me pretty well, you know that some days I don't have much to say. On those days I just check in, make sure everything is OK, and then go about my normal routine. On other days, I just wanna shoot the breeze or share some information like any other forumer. As Muzrub says, in theory I should be able to express my opinions freely, as long as I don't violate the general forum rules.

Today, I found myself in the thoroughly bizarre role of having to lock my own thread. I briefly considered registering under an alter ego, but that could lead to even more strangeness.

At this point, I know I can trust you guys to keep each other in line, and sometimes to keep ME in line.

As always, any of you are welcome to PM or e-mail me with any concerns you may have, whether dealing with the forums or anything else.

KG's Bar is open 24/7.

Someone mentioned earlier to what sounded to me as though they thought that a mod couldn't ever be what they once were, and, in a sense it's true. Even when you're modding your own thread, thinking perhaps that's as close as you'd get to being "just like every one else" the fact of the matter is that despite that pretense, if you didn't mod your own thread, there is no mod for that thread. If you don't mod your own thread, then that leaves mod threads susceptible to flamers and such going berserk. So, the only easy solution is to post threads where you're not a mod, however, that mod 'badge' still follows you around (these forums anyway),,,,,,,which, brings up another point. If such scenarios pretty much eliminates a mod posting opinion or starting threads, the very job you got, probably axed out the very reason you originally posted here in the first place. Can you just see people doing a wargamer forum search on Google and then doing so for the direct intent of being a mod from the start?

There is another solution, however, working off the alternate ego idea. The idea would be to start some kind of ruckus whereas big evil KG locks the thread with soem sort of curt warning to that offender, thereby guaranteeing that nobody will suspect it's you when the alternate continues to post, AND, mainly, that way actually being able to truly have a non-mod role. As things are right now, you know things just aren't what they used to be. You can't really be the same guy with the badge. Of course, this message will have to self-destruct within 10 seconds of your reading it or it would avail nothing. Perhaps with me anyway, I'll be looking at those newbies a little more closely these days. Maybe we could have a monthly contest to spot the KG alter-ego? It would be lovely, as we would have completely innocent people being incarcerated to reveal their "real" identity.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 25
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/27/2004 3:19:27 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

KG's Bar is open 24/7.

Someone mentioned earlier to what sounded to me as though they thought that a mod couldn't ever be what they once were, and, in a sense it's true. Even when you're modding your own thread, thinking perhaps that's as close as you'd get to being "just like every one else" the fact of the matter is that despite that pretense, if you didn't mod your own thread, there is no mod for that thread. If you don't mod your own thread, then that leaves mod threads susceptible to flamers and such going berserk. So, the only easy solution is to post threads where you're not a mod, however, that mod 'badge' still follows you around (these forums anyway),,,,,,,which, brings up another point. If such scenarios pretty much eliminates a mod posting opinion or starting threads, the very job you got, probably axed out the very reason you originally posted here in the first place. Can you just see people doing a wargamer forum search on Google and then doing so for the direct intent of being a mod from the start?

There is another solution, however, working off the alternate ego idea. The idea would be to start some kind of ruckus whereas big evil KG locks the thread with soem sort of curt warning to that offender, thereby guaranteeing that nobody will suspect it's you when the alternate continues to post, AND, mainly, that way actually being able to truly have a non-mod role. As things are right now, you know things just aren't what they used to be. You can't really be the same guy with the badge. Of course, this message will have to self-destruct within 10 seconds of your reading it or it would avail nothing. Perhaps with me anyway, I'll be looking at those newbies a little more closely these days. Maybe we could have a monthly contest to spot the KG alter-ego? It would be lovely, as we would have completely innocent people being incarcerated to reveal their "real" identity.

huh?

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 26
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/27/2004 3:34:50 AM   
Charles2222

Hmm, maybe nobody did make the argument that you can't ever take the badge off once it's on, but I've read that sort of thing so many times in threads of this sort it's bound to have happened by this time.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 27
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/27/2004 3:38:11 AM   
KG Erwin

Charlie22, what in the world was that all about? It's Friday and KG's Bar sems to be very busy.
Your friendly neighborhood moderator is indulging tonight also, so I will issue this public disclaimer. If need be, I can count on my very tall & large friend Goblin to assist unruly customers to the door.
Behave yourselves, my friends, and I'll check in later.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/26/2004 8:39:16 PM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 28
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/27/2004 3:39:22 AM   
Charles2222

huh?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 29
RE: KG just an observation from an ex Mod - 3/27/2004 5:04:39 AM   
tracer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

huh?

I believe the gist was that he's MUI (modding under the influence), and would digest and contemplate that post later.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> KG just an observation from an ex Mod Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI